Forums

7 posts

186 sounds
    319 posts
    req: gear description field

Ey,
    Just curious if there is an interest in having a seperate field to document the setup used to record the sample. The benifit i think would be that
    A) the descriptin field will ideally only contain information on what you hear.
    B) you can set a standard setup so that this info is automatically added to your files
    C) more people will document the gear used.

546 sounds
    351 posts

Yes, good idea. Ideally I'd like to be able to choose from 2 or 3 of my regular gear setups.

Mike

Freesound Moderator "Close your eyes, and you're almost there!"
    1134 sounds
    284 posts

Yes, a good idea. Ideally, an uploader should be able to use a standard description that is automatically added every time a sample is uploaded because I think that many of use use some kind of standard setup. Of course, there should be some function to change that standard description once a different setup is used.

Life is probably good
    178 sounds
    740 posts

Yes, more robust descriptions would be nice...
    A good example from archive.org's live music collection: http://www.archive.org/details/esmith2000-09-28
    Note the "lineage" field too.

By the way... can we also enhance the regular description system to be at least as robust as the user page one? I can do line breaks and html and stuff on my user page, but it squishes my whole file description into a single paragraph, and leaves all the URLs as plain text. Real links would be handy for stuff like referencing a photo from the freesound flickr pool, or showing the thread where the sample was requested.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    186 sounds
    319 posts

lets try and keep this thread focused on what we would liek for the database fields. Perhaps Bram will be able to add this stuff, maybe it will be too difficult.

178 sounds
    740 posts

Hm, ok. Do look at that example though, it has some useful ideas for fields.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    186 sounds
    319 posts

oh sorry halleck, didnt mean that your stuff was going off-topic, i just thought maybe we could turn this into an "ideas for the database thread" smile

7 posts