Forums

• previous
  • next
  •  |  34 posts

67 sounds
    11 posts
    Geotagging Field Recordings

Not sure if this has already been suggested (havnt been reading the forum everyday), but it would be nice if we could geo-tag field recordings using this method (which here is applied to del.icio.us links)

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/07/how_to_geotagg_1.html#more

It would then be possible to browse through sounds using google earth// grin .....or something maybe....would perhaps need a bit more work

186 sounds
    319 posts

Wow, what a great idea.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Lets figure out a way to have some sort of standard for this. Perhaps we could offer a coordination filed in the description field. Then freesound itself could like to the geotag.

btw Bram: perhaps move this thread to the feature request forum?

190 sounds
    179 posts

That would be ubercool, to know (and see) the locations were the (purist) field recordings were recorded is very very interesting and goes far beyond the sound thing to enter the realms of sonic anthropology yes... so epic... i love it

Jaume Ferrete www.jaumeferrete.net
    121 sounds
    1544 posts

superb idea. consider it top in line of the future features.

Not going to use tags though, too difficult (people use tags because they have to, flickr doesn't support geotagging, so you have to use the tag), I'll just add longitude and latitude to the database and give an interface to geotag sounds. smile

cheers,

- Bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    121 sounds
    1544 posts

a first test:
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/geotagging/freesound_geo_tagging.JPG

if you have Google Earth, give it a shot - just download this file and double-klick it to add freesound to google earth:
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/geotagging/freesound.kml

Right now it's not "dynamic", i.e. not stored in a database, but it soon will be wink

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    67 sounds
    11 posts

amazing! looks great but i cant seem to get the kml file to work......justtrying a few other things n (like i know what im doing....)

nice work though... grin

Thanks

121 sounds
    1544 posts

walkerbelm:

if you have google earth:

1. download the file to your hard drive (rightclick, save as)

2. doubleclick the file, it will automaticaly be opened in google earth.

- bram

67 sounds
    11 posts

yeah, still doesnt work. If you double click the kml file it opens internet explorer (which isnt even my default browser.)

The icon for the file once downloaded is that of an xml file and when you drag it into google earth it displays the error message: 'This type of file is not supported by google earth'. Other kml files i have downloaded work fine...

anyone else having this problem?

121 sounds
    1544 posts

try drag and dropping it into google earth

- bram

121 sounds
    1544 posts

oups...

hmm.

did you "rightclick, save as" or did you left-click, then "save as" when you see the XML?

- bram

117 sounds
    38 posts

If you double click the kml file it opens internet explorer (which isnt even my default browser.)

is the extention changed to .xml when saved?

i just saved the file and it saved it as freesound.kml.xml !
    so, delete the extra extension and you should be good to go.

fyi. probably your pc uses IE as default to open .xml files.

...All your sound are belong to us... www.twistedlemon.nl
    121 sounds
    1544 posts

Hello all,

OK, I've made it so that people can add longitude and latitude coordinates to sounds (i.e. where they were recorded). I've made it so that a FEW people can do this right now - and I selected you guys amongst others to give it a shot.

To try it out - go to the detailed view page of a sound and you'll find a "geotag" link on that page.

Click it, locate the recording-site of the sound, and hit *geotag* !

If all goes well the sound should appear on:
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/geotagsView.php

cheers!

- Bram

PS: if something goes wrong - just try again, it'll overwrite the previous values

PPS: you can still load this config file into google earth (2.0!) to see all the sounds as well:

PPPS: if you can't find the link, make sure you're logged in wink

121 sounds
    1544 posts

oh - don't bother trying on internet explorer.
    firefox => works.

I'm going to $!@@ someone at Microsoft.

- bram

117 sounds
    38 posts

Awsome Bram ! Looks and works great. On both this site and google earth.
    Gonna do some more testing wink

I know you know this already, but also here at home, the png's in google earth don't load always.

...All your sound are belong to us... www.twistedlemon.nl
    121 sounds
    1544 posts

I figured out what's wrong with the KML file.

First of all, could everyone who wants to do geotagging please download Firefox and use that instead?

Other than that, for some weird reason Internet Explorer decides to rename the *.kml to *.xml (HUH???) when you download it. If you just rename it to *.kml again it'll work. But, the geotagging on freesound doesn't work with IE anyway right now.

- bram

186 sounds
    319 posts

For me (on FF) only the satelite layer works, the map and the hybrid dont have info. Its too bad but ofcourse not a big problem since i can spot the location easily on google earth and hten take the long & lat into geotag.

just a headsup

cHEERIO

121 sounds
    1544 posts

that I can't help: in this case it's google that needs to add the data, not me smile

- bram

186 sounds
    319 posts

smile

121 sounds
    1544 posts

( by the way I fixed the map in Internet Explorer... )

- bram

3050 sounds
    476 posts

hi all,

i have added three southern Spanish geotags. To me it was quite difficult to say the least using the 'center map at arrow' feature (seems it works at very coarse resolutions), so I filled the latitude-longitud form (with as many decimal places as possible, just to check resolution) and that way all went ok.

By the way, I took lat/long from www.multimap.com, which gives you coordinates with considerable accuracy, at least for town names

cheers
    dob

• previous
  • next
  •  |  34 posts