Forums

9 posts

0 sounds
    5 posts
    Freesound and Audio Editors

I recently took a look at an open-source audio editor for Linux, Jokosher [1], and one nice feature of it is the built-in Freesound support; that is, with an account you can search for Freesound samples in the program and drag them directly into your project - pretty cool, eh? wink

One problem with this feature currently is that Freesound samples don't have a short title, just a long description. This makes browsing through samples a bit unpractical as you have to read through lengthy descriptions. The file name could be used, but real title metadata would be much nicer to have.

Another thing that would make integration of Freesound into audio editors much nicer would be some kind of categorization system, so that e.g. all guitar samples would be grouped together. That way, the samples could be just as easily browsed as, for instance, the samples built into Apple Garageband.

I hope you are interest interested in making such a kind of integration really rock. I'm looking forward to your comments. smile

[1] Jokosher home page: www.jokosher.org

3055 sounds
    476 posts

hey, this program is super-COOL ! Even with the limitation you point out integrated search of Freesound is the best thing *ever*. No idea it existed so thank you for posting
    Saludos
    D

0 sounds
    5 posts

I'm glad I could raise the attention for this feature. smile

Further thinking about better ways of integration, I think (optional) metadata for BPM and key (if C, D#, etc.) would also be cool. That way, Jokosher might even be able to adjust samples to the current project's speed etc., like Garageband does it for it's samples. That would be a clear killer feature! smile

178 sounds
    740 posts

Ah yeah, I remember stumbling onto the website of this program a few months ago and was pleasantly suprised to see the freesound logo. wink

I haven't given it a test drive yet but the screenshots look good.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    0 sounds
    5 posts

Do you think we can enhance Freesound, maybe in the ways I already lined out, to make it integrate more tightly wit audio editors?

178 sounds
    740 posts

I'm not sure, ask Bram.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    121 sounds
    1544 posts

It's already so difficult with one description field... smile the easiest would be a standard way of tagging sounds:

bpm-150
    bpm-145
    bpm-110
    key-csharp
    key-bflat
    key-a
    loop
    singe-shot

Perhaps I could put a notice somewhere about some "special" tags people should use if they can. I guess field-recording and processed/unprocessed should be more of them.

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    0 sounds
    5 posts

Bram
    It's already so difficult with one description field... smile the easiest would be a standard way of tagging sounds:

bpm-150
    bpm-145
    bpm-110
    key-csharp
    key-bflat
    key-a
    loop
    singe-shot

Perhaps I could put a notice somewhere about some "special" tags people should use if they can. I guess field-recording and processed/unprocessed should be more of them.

- bram

A nice solution would be to add optional fields like bpm etc to the submit form and, if filled by the submitter, append appropiate "special" tags automatically. Like a BPM entry that, if filled in with value 120, would automatically add the tag "bpm-120".

0 sounds
    5 posts

Is there still interest for this?

9 posts