Forums

  • avatar
    62 sounds
    50 posts


    AlienXXX wrote:
    Bliss wrote:
    I still have 3 samples waiting moderation, one since january 7th and others since yesterday.

    I got it. It is this one:
    http://www.freesound.org/people/Bliss/sounds/173318/

    I sent you a message from the moderation system. It is missing the tag 'tape'.
    I am approving. Please edit the sound to add the tag.
    Moderating the other 2 sounds also.

    Done.

    In the mean time in a studio elsewhere:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMCDwWZXd2w

    'Attention Please' by mojomills & Bliss
    See sound in a different frequency and illuminate your vision.
  • avatar
    269 sounds
    58 posts


    Hey AlienXXX,

    I don't know how else to say this...
    I'm going to be uploading somewhere in the range of 200 samples.
    Is that going to drive you up the wall?
    I'm almost done editing and I should have them uploaded in a few hours.
    I will have the samples in different sample packs titled, "Mojo Tape: (each different instrument)"

    Here's a list of the instruments I used:

    - Upright Piano (recorded in stereo!)
    - Acoustic Guitar
    - Bass Guitar Direct
    - Electric Guitar Direct
    - Electric Guitar w/ Slide Direct
    - Hand Drum
    - Kalimba
    - Shakers
    - Misc Sounds

    I know it's a lot, but the samples are relatively short.
    Well, back to it!

  • avatar
    62 sounds
    50 posts


    mojomills wrote:
    Hey AlienXXX,

    I don't know how else to say this...
    I'm going to be uploading somewhere in the range of 200 samples.
    Is that going to drive you up the wall?
    I'm almost done editing and I should have them uploaded in a few hours.
    I will have the samples in different sample packs titled, "Mojo Tape: (each different instrument)"

    Here's a list of the instruments I used:

    - Upright Piano (recorded in stereo!)
    - Acoustic Guitar
    - Bass Guitar Direct
    - Electric Guitar Direct
    - Electric Guitar w/ Slide Direct
    - Hand Drum
    - Kalimba
    - Shakers
    - Misc Sounds

    I know it's a lot, but the samples are relatively short.
    Well, back to it!

    haha good one mills!

    'Attention Please' by mojomills & Bliss
    See sound in a different frequency and illuminate your vision.
  • avatar
    269 sounds
    58 posts


    awaiting moderation.

    Alien:

    For future reference, how should I have gone about this?:
    - I uploaded my whole folder of samples (around 200)
    - I created a new sample pack called "mojomills Tape"
    - I then created a new sample pack for EVERY sample (i.e. piano samples in "mojomills Tape Piano")

    I used the same 10 names to cover each instrument's sample pack as I was describing the samples.
    Will this automatically place my samples in the 10 or so packs I created while uploading?
    Just curious, as my homepage only displays the one pack "mojomills Tape" in the moderation queue ("Uncomplete" packs).
    The only reason I ask is because I wanted to have different categories for people to download (i.e. piano, guitar, etc.).
    I realize, in hindsight, I could've uploaded my samples one instrument at a time, then put them in their appropriate newly created packs.
    Doing it that way seemed slower at first, then I realized the new packs didn't show up in the describing new sounds section.
    So, I literally plugged them in manually...all of them.
    I know I should know this by now, but is it possible to delete sample packs?

    If I'm worrying you or myself over nothing, I apologize.
    I just hope I didn't create a whole lot of extra work for you.
    If so, sorry! wink

  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    Bliss wrote:
    I still have 3 samples waiting moderation, one since january 7th and others since yesterday.

    There currently is a technical issue moderating this sample:
    http://www.freesound.org/people/Bliss/sounds/173475/
    It disapeared from my moderation screen, so I can't approve it.
    I have contated the technical team. I will advise when this sound becomes available.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    mojomills wrote:
    awaiting moderation.

    Alien:

    For future reference, how should I have gone about this?:
    - I uploaded my whole folder of samples (around 200)
    - I created a new sample pack called "mojomills Tape"
    - I then created a new sample pack for EVERY sample (i.e. piano samples in "mojomills Tape Piano")

    I used the same 10 names to cover each instrument's sample pack as I was describing the samples.
    Will this automatically place my samples in the 10 or so packs I created while uploading?
    Just curious, as my homepage only displays the one pack "mojomills Tape" in the moderation queue ("Uncomplete" packs).
    The only reason I ask is because I wanted to have different categories for people to download (i.e. piano, guitar, etc.).
    I realize, in hindsight, I could've uploaded my samples one instrument at a time, then put them in their appropriate newly created packs.
    Doing it that way seemed slower at first, then I realized the new packs didn't show up in the describing new sounds section.
    So, I literally plugged them in manually...all of them.
    I know I should know this by now, but is it possible to delete sample packs?

    If I'm worrying you or myself over nothing, I apologize.
    I just hope I didn't create a whole lot of extra work for you.
    If so, sorry! wink

    200 samples!!! o_O
    Yes... I did note an explosive growth of the moderation queue when I looked just now!

    I am fine with this, but will take some time - Each sample has to be approved individually, does not matter how long it is. Wew can't for example, approve whole packs.

    I personaly tend to not upload more than 5 or 6 samples at a time, then I do the descriptions.
    Then upload some more. Saves me getting muddled up with putting the right description against the right sample, etc. - but tht is just me.

    You place samples in a pack when you go to "describe sounds".
    The screens look slightly different depending on wheter you are doing it for one sample only or for a group of samples.

    When moderating a sample the screen shows me the sample name, tages and the first few lines of the description. I cannot see which pack the sample is assigned to, unless I go into the individual sample screen - this would be very time consuming to do for every one of 200 samples.
    It will be easier to moderate them in and then go into each pack and see what samples are there.

    The uploader can move samples between packs or into a new pack (from the sample edit screen).
    If you move all samples out of a pack that pack is deleted (in theory at least, we may not have actually checked this since the last Freesound upgrade)
    I will let you know if I find anyting odd and let you know so you can correct. - Mods cannot edit samples.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    269 sounds
    58 posts


    AlienXXX wrote:
    mojomills wrote:
    awaiting moderation.

    Alien:

    For future reference, how should I have gone about this?:
    - I uploaded my whole folder of samples (around 200)
    - I created a new sample pack called "mojomills Tape"
    - I then created a new sample pack for EVERY sample (i.e. piano samples in "mojomills Tape Piano")

    I used the same 10 names to cover each instrument's sample pack as I was describing the samples.
    Will this automatically place my samples in the 10 or so packs I created while uploading?
    Just curious, as my homepage only displays the one pack "mojomills Tape" in the moderation queue ("Uncomplete" packs).
    The only reason I ask is because I wanted to have different categories for people to download (i.e. piano, guitar, etc.).
    I realize, in hindsight, I could've uploaded my samples one instrument at a time, then put them in their appropriate newly created packs.
    Doing it that way seemed slower at first, then I realized the new packs didn't show up in the describing new sounds section.
    So, I literally plugged them in manually...all of them.
    I know I should know this by now, but is it possible to delete sample packs?

    If I'm worrying you or myself over nothing, I apologize.
    I just hope I didn't create a whole lot of extra work for you.
    If so, sorry! wink

    200 samples!!! o_O
    Yes... I did note an explosive growth of the moderation queue when I looked just now!

    I am fine with this, but will take some time - Each sample has to be approved individually, does not matter how long it is. Wew can't for example, approve whole packs.

    I personaly tend to not upload more than 5 or 6 samples at a time, then I do the descriptions.
    Then upload some more. Saves me getting muddled up with putting the right description against the right sample, etc. - but tht is just me.

    You place samples in a pack when you go to "describe sounds".
    The screens look slightly different depending on wheter you are doing it for one sample only or for a group of samples.

    When moderating a sample the screen shows me the sample name, tages and the first few lines of the description. I cannot see which pack the sample is assigned to, unless I go into the individual sample screen - this would be very time consuming to do for every one of 200 samples.
    It will be easier to moderate them in and then go into each pack and see what samples are there.

    The uploader can move samples between packs or into a new pack (from the sample edit screen).
    If you move all samples out of a pack that pack is deleted (in theory at least, we may not have actually checked this since the last Freesound upgrade)
    I will let you know if I find anyting odd and let you know so you can correct. - Mods cannot edit samples.

    Awesome!
    I'll go through and move the samples into their appropriate packs after moderation.
    I know it was last minute, but I've been up all night editing.
    You wouldn't believe I spent about 2 hours recording and 10 hours editing!
    This has been a task.
    Thanks for everything AlienXXX!

  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    mojomills wrote:
    Awesome!
    I'll go through and move the samples into their appropriate packs after moderation.
    I know it was last minute, but I've been up all night editing.
    You wouldn't believe I spent about 2 hours recording and 10 hours editing!
    This has been a task.
    Thanks for everything AlienXXX!

    Oh I would believe it!
    I know very well how long recording, editing and posting sounds with proper descriptions takes.
    That is why I can't thank enough people who take the trouble to upload large numbers of sounds. Especially when they are well though out and described.
    So here it is: My personal 'thank you' to you!

    But it is not just you, really. So I would like to extend it to all.
    There is something (good) about this dare that got people uploading really amazing stuff, sometimes going to great lenghts:
    You got Puniho digging out recordings made by his grandfather...
    Escortmarius did not have any equipment but then manage to get some from his relatives. (which he promptly found out not to be working properly... so he took it apart and put it kind of back together in a state that he could at least record stuff...
    You had Bliss who initially said "Don't have the gear. Can't participate." - NExt thing you know he has got some high quality tape and is uploading these amazing sounds...
    I could go on and on...

    By the way... Might take me into the weekend to moderate all sounds. Especially if more are added.
    I will post here to close the sample submissions period and also to advise when all samples have been moderated.

    THANKS!

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    AlienXXX wrote:
    Bliss wrote:
    I still have 3 samples waiting moderation, one since january 7th and others since yesterday.

    There currently is a technical issue moderating this sample:
    http://www.freesound.org/people/Bliss/sounds/173475/
    It disapeared from my moderation screen, so I can't approve it.
    I have contated the technical team. I will advise when this sound becomes available.

    The technical team has come back and they would like to investigate how this happened, so they can prevent it hapenning in the future - Actually I fully support that.
    So this sound might not be available for a while, until they complete the investigation.

    In the meantime, can you re-upload the sample with a different name so that it is available for the dare?

    Thanks

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    316 sounds
    118 posts


    AlienXXX wrote:
    mojomills wrote:
    Awesome!

    By the way... Might take me into the weekend to moderate all sounds. Especially if more are added.
    I will post here to close the sample submissions period and also to advise when all samples have been moderated.

    THANKS!

    Dont forget that I'm now also a moderator so I am happy to do my bit..! smile

  • avatar
    316 sounds
    118 posts


    Well, it looks like Alien has been doing a good job as usual, as I only found one sound in the moderating que from MojoMills.

  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    Puniho wrote:
    Well, it looks like Alien has been doing a good job as usual, as I only found one sound in the moderating que from MojoMills.

    Unfortunately, when we pull sounds from the queue we pull ALL sounds from that user.
    There were already 209 sounds by mojomills, so i goy them all... Still moderating...

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    Hello All once again!

    Closing this threead for sample submissions and for announcing collab teams for this dare.
    If you have not announced your team already... tough, you need to go solo on this one !

    I am still moderating through mojomills vast high quality collection of samples.
    Thanks man! You posted as many samples as the rest of us together!

    For anything else from here onwards, please use the discussion thread:
    http://www.freesound.org/forum/dare-the-community/33281/

    Thanks!

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    Hello markbenn07

    More or less once-a-month I try to run a 'dare' - a friendly competition.

    This dare had 2 stages. People could participate in the first, second or both. - but the first stage is already finished.
    First stage was sto submit samples to Freesound on a specific theme: it had to be sounds comming from tapes (cassettes, micro-cassettes, reel-to-reel,...).
    In this stage, people could also partner up to form a team of 2 that would participate in stage 2 together.
    Second stage is where we create musical pieces using the sounds submitted in part 1.

    Basically, you can only use sounds from Freesound that have been tagged with "collab-2".
    There are some additional rules and a deadline. Please read this post which contains all the rules:
    http://www.freesound.org/forum/dare-the-community/33280/
    Submissions of pieces will also be made on that thread.

    This thread here is for when people want to discuss something or ask a question - just like you did.
    So that on the main thread there are only the submissions.

    If there are enough entries we do a vote afterwards to pick out the best. If you decide to participate watch out for this, because if you don't vote you loose all the points that others have given your song.

    If you still have questions after reading the main thread, just post them here in the "DISCUSSION" thread or send me a PM.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    14 sounds
    6 posts


    I have a question; by when is the winner typically announced?

    Something is more chaotic than everything.
  • avatar
    1402 sounds
    1540 posts


    Hello

    Submitting the sounds was just the first part.
    Now we have to do something with them!...
    The rules for that are here:
    http://www.freesound.org/forum/dare-the-community/33280/

    There is also a thread for general discussion:
    http://www.freesound.org/forum/dare-the-community/33281/
    Where you can ask questions, comment on other people's work, etc.

    The deadline for submissions is 31st Jan.
    Voting typically opens straight after and runs for about 1 week.
    The results are posted after that (sometimes I am a bit late...)

    I would say the results should be out around 10-15 Feb.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...