Forums

• previous
  • next
  •  |  27 posts

121 sounds
    1538 posts
    DARE3: one song sample

instead of making a song from a sample, let's try the oposite smile

take one of your favourite songs (at least 3 minutes), then squeeze, squash, deform, twist, cut and wrangle it until:

1. it doesn't sound like original anymore (getting around those annoying copyright laws if you chose a copyrighted song), but it would be nice if somehow it conveyed the same intensity or mood as the song. ooooh, difficult!

2. it's less than 20 seconds

3. after you read this message you have EXACTLY 4days, 8hours, 15minutes, 16seconds, 23milliseconds, 42microseconds to get it posted.

Then upload and tell us how you did it smile Oh, and mention the original work, just for fun and to see if the copyright lawyers see it wink

( if it sounds too much like the original, I'm not letting it pass )

- bram

PS: try it with classical music as well wink

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    121 sounds
    1538 posts

c'mooooooooooon people...

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    1134 sounds
    284 posts

Hi, I've tried to 'do the dare'. The result can be found at: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=19083

This is what I did. I took the song 'Master of Disguise' by Arcturus (from: La Masquerade Infernale, released on Candlelight Records in 1997). Why? Well, can you think of better title for this challenge? grin I attempted to build a sample that would be recognisable, but did not inflict the copyright. To achieve this, I used two rules: 1) cuts from the song should be smaller than 1 second; 2) cuts should retain the original atmosphere without being actual copies, so there was a limit to the amount of changes possible.

I took 25 samples from the song, and these were then edited in Goldwave. Some samples were stretched or shortened to make a better match when put together again. Quite a few effects were applied (flanger, echo, reverb, equaliser etc.). After that I used Kristal Audio Engine to put them together again. Four samples were used as the foundation or body of the to-be-created sample, and eight more were used to add to the mood of the sample, in order to restore the original atmosphere. Final mixdown included some panning effect and that was it.

Hope you like it. And if you happen to know the original, let me know whether you think the sample captures the song without copying it.

- LG

Life is probably good
    20 sounds
    5 posts

sure, I'll try this. post later if I get anything good.

-Tristan

4 sounds
    8 posts

I'm in.

My contrib: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=19092

The original piece of music is Lalo Shiffrins Main Title Theme for the motion picture Bullit. I've mashed it up in Audition, using only original effects (no third party plug ins) and only present presets. I've done the following tweeks:

Hard limit
    Max: -5
    Boost: 0

Pitch bender
    48 semi

Reverse

Stretch
    Lower pitch: 400

Stretch
    Lower pitch: 400

Full reverb
    Church

Pitch bender
    -8.02 semi

Flanger
    Light flange

Multiband Compressor
    Toy

Stretch
    Lower pitch: 110

Normalice
    100%

_________________________________________ Funkis/Anulaibar Dark Ambient|Soundscapes|Drones Arfihorpotis out now
    121 sounds
    1538 posts

I like

keep'm commin'

- bram

198 sounds
    56 posts

My contribution to dare 3:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=19221

121 sounds
    1538 posts

very nice!

but you didn't follow all rules!
    you were supposed to take the WHOLE song and transform it smile tongue

546 sounds
    351 posts

In that case, Bram, what do you mean by "it's less than 20 seconds"?

Mike

Freesound Moderator "Close your eyes, and you're almost there!"
    121 sounds
    1538 posts

Bram
    take one of your favourite songs (at least 3 minutes), then squeeze, squash, deform, twist, cut and wrangle it until:

2. it's less than 20 seconds

wink

- bram

1134 sounds
    284 posts

But I still like Pitx' contribution a lot! grin

Life is probably good
    121 sounds
    1538 posts

oh yeah, it's quite amazing, no doubt about it.

and rules are there to be broken anyway.

wait! except the legal issues surrounding creative commons!!

wink

C'moooooooooooooon I want more!!!!!!!

- bram

3039 sounds
    476 posts

my contribution

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=19246

178 sounds
    738 posts

Hey, cool!

That reminds me of when I reversed moonlight sonata for this trippy film experiment... Atanos Thgilnoom, I called it. wink

Tried this before with some other songs too... works pretty well on Pink Floyd. I might submit something for this dare after all.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    121 sounds
    1538 posts

me too, me too!

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/tagsViewSingle.php?id=5161

( find the new one )

- bram

121 sounds
    1538 posts

by the way, dobroide and pitx, your dares are very... daring. the risk is obviously yours. when a theme is recognisable, the risk is a LOT higher, so yours are... on the edge. watch out.

- bram

24 sounds
    12 posts

Ok. here is my entry:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=19282

The Minute Men. Glory of Man.
    I think it caputers the feel without stealing the song.

enjoy.
    nathan.

~Nathan
    15 sounds
    55 posts

Hi folks.
    I'm terribly late, I know, but here I go:

I guess I didn't exactly follow the rules this time. It's a 4 sound pack, and the original track is not recognizable in most of them, but anyway...

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=1219

Method: At first I was thinking of creating a whole drumkit with the track, but finally I took a more 'direct and lazy' approach. Basically I time-stretched the tune lots of times until it was 20 sec. or less, then I applied fx (eq, spectral delay, reaktor stuff...) until I got something... well...
    Eventually I got a bunch of strange sounds I was about to trash, but I decided to select the 4 most "listenable" and upload them.

oh, the tune is "so what".

see you

1134 sounds
    284 posts

Very cool... very... warped... :wink: Well done!

Life is probably good
    433 sounds
    197 posts

ooohh im totally in on this. I have a really good recording of the theme for Twilight Zone, so i added a whole load of tweeks here and there and came up with a really strange sound that sounds like what a robot would sound like when it died or was shutdown.

I couldn't get anything longer than that, my software wont allow me to sample anything longer than about a minute or two.

Here's the link

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=20451

If this isnt what you wanted us to do its because i got confused somewhere down the line.

"Music is well said to be the speech of angels." Thomas Carlyle
  • previous
  • next
  •  |  27 posts