Forums

14 posts

1 sound
    6 posts
    File doesn't exist anymore : Status of a vanishing sample ?

Hi ! I've downloaded a sample some months ago on this site. It was sample #17848. My band created an 100% original song which feature this sample and we plan to publish the song under Creative Commons by-nc-nd licence.

The problem now is that the sample itself disappered from this site ! Look: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=17848 lead to the "This file with id = 17848 doesn't exist anymore..." error message.

I still have an exact copy of it on my HDD, but I don't remember who was the original author of that sample.

Questions:
    1. At the time I downloaded the sample on this site, it was under a free licence. In theory it is still under the same licence so I'm allowed to include it in my song. Am I right ?
    2. I need the name of the original author to credit him in the song credits. I don't remeber him. Who can I mention in the song credits to honor the "by" condition (if it was a CC-sampling licence) ?
    3. Can I say that I'm the author of the sample now (without changing the licence) ?
    4. Can I republish it on freesound ?
    5. Is this kind of situations covered by CC licences ?

121 sounds
    1544 posts

kev,

could you give me the complete file name of this file?

files are removed for various reasons.

because it is asked by the original autor, because they are broken and replaced, because they are illegal, etc etc..

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    1 sound
    6 posts

The file was FreeSound_17848_Rookiee_copchase01.wav

28 sounds
    287 posts

I'm no professional, but would rookiee not be the creator?

"Sound is just experience without sight." Official Acclivity Fan Club - Founder and Member. Flac? Ogg? Aiff? Click Here For Help!
    546 sounds
    351 posts

Looks like all his files have gone. Perhaps you could extract what you want from this remix http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=22040 (now there's a challenge, Freesounders!)

Freesound Moderator "Close your eyes, and you're almost there!"
    1 sound
    6 posts

acclivity
    Looks like all his files have gone. Perhaps you could extract what you want from this remix http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=22040 (now there's a challenge, Freesounders!)

Ahah ! That's funny !

By the way, if we now know that Rookie is the author and at the time I downloaded his samples I was respecting the CC sampling licence, this mean that I can now use the sample in my band's songs by crediting "Rookie" right ?

Bram, do you have a way to tell us why the song was removed ? If this was just by the author's decision, it mean that I can republish it right ? If the reason was because it was illegal, of course I can't. But this also mean that mr_rolfi must delete his sample #22040.

121 sounds
    1544 posts

Ah.... I remember why it was removed, it was a VERY strange situation, which I can't really explain here. Something with cyberstalking and other weirdness...

However - as far as I remember - the files were legal.

So, yes, just credit "rookiee'

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    1 sound
    6 posts

Bram
    Ah.... I remember why it was removed, it was a VERY strange situation, which I can't really explain here. Something with cyberstalking and other weirdness...

weirdhock: Wow.
    That's sad....

Bram
    However - as far as I remember - the files were legal.
    So, yes, just credit "rookiee'

Happy to hear that ! Thanks Bram for this information !

Finally, can I re-upload this file in FreeSound to let others benefits this sample ?

121 sounds
    1544 posts

kev
    Finally, can I re-upload this file in FreeSound to let others benefits this sample ?

I guess so smile

- bram

1 sound
    6 posts

I guess so smile

File uploaded, waiting for moderation. smile

1 sound
    6 posts

File uploaded, waiting for moderation. smile

FYI, the file is now available at : http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=26711

Happy mixing ! wink

178 sounds
    740 posts

Awesome, thanks for the re-upload. I don't remember Rookie but judging from this sample, he did good work. Too bad it had to be deleted.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    0 sounds
    2 posts

Any chance of this being reuploaded?

0 sounds
    2 posts

Ah...never mind. It was my crappy internet connection that wasn't allowing me to play the sample back.

14 posts