Forums

9 posts

178 sounds
    740 posts
    Dual licensing

Do you accept sounds dual-licensed under Creative Commons Sampling Plus and, say, GPL? I'd like to release some foley I've done here, but I also want to use them in a GPL game i'm helping out with. It's possible for me just to use them in the game under a CC license, but I still would like to know if dual liscensing is acceptable.

Thanks.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    190 sounds
    179 posts

what is GPL ?

Jaume Ferrete www.jaumeferrete.net
    186 sounds
    319 posts

The CC licence is non-exclusive. You as the owner of the material can still change it right? (only cant for fokls that have alleready downloaded it here)?
    Correct me if im wrong.

121 sounds
    1545 posts

Halleck
    Do you accept sounds dual-licensed under Creative Commons Sampling Plus and, say, GPL?

I'm not a lawyer, but I think dual-licensing might be a no-no:
    people could select the 'lowest denominator'.

GPL is much stronger than Sampling+, as GPL is "share-alike" and Sampling+ isn't (i.e. you can take a Samplinbg+ sample, change it and share it under a different license)!

I don't know, I think your best bet is to ask someone in the creative-commons mailing-lists and see if something like this is possible.

I'm still thinking of adding different licenses to Freesound, but I think it will thoroughly confuse people (heck, it confuses me!!!) But I think what I want to add is a WEAKER license, like "public domain" (i.e. "do whatever you want with this sample") and not a stronger one. Share-alike is just too heavy for samples, imho.

- Bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    3 sounds
    22 posts

GPL is definitely not a good idea. Read the licence through and you will see it.

Public Domain is a good idea, but still the selectable licences make this thing very confusing. Even right now when I have done few songs with freesounds I am having trouble sorting out who I should give credit to. I have downloaded more samples than I have used...

178 sounds
    740 posts

Thanks.

I've decided to release the sounds under Creative Commons Sampling Plus, as it can then be included in the GPL game as well as the freesound project. Cheers!

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    121 sounds
    1545 posts

yay smile
    more food for freesound!!!

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    178 sounds
    740 posts

All right, and they're off awaiting moderation. smile

These are what I consider to be my best sound effects yet (I'm still very much an amateur). Still, I couldn't find good, musical wine glass clinks anywhere, so here is my best shot.

Hope you enjoy them!

0 sounds
    17 posts

I would very much like to use the Public Domain license.

9 posts