Forums

5 posts

1128 sounds
    12 posts
    filtering text searches with + and -

Hello,
    i understand that i can make searches more specific but providing additional words with + and excluding words with -. but i notice that this only works for exact tags. here's what i mean: imagine that i wanna do a search for "analog" and i want to exclude anything that has beats; many of the rhythmic/beaty things have "xxxbpm" as a tag where the "xxx" is either a number, or a number and a dash like "125bpm" or "108-bpm". is there any way to do this in the advanced search? as of now, it seems that i have to provide every possible bpm tag exactly...

thanks,

a

121 sounds
    1539 posts

hmmm, this is quite difficult... I mean, it would be hard to devise an algorithm that does exactly that...
    However the search doesn't only search in tags, it also searches in descriptions. so if you open up the file filters, maybe you can remove most of those...

Today I've been adding another search-feature today that alows you to sort the search-results in 10 different ways:

ORDER_DOWNLOADS_DESC
    ORDER_DOWNLOADS_ASC
    ORDER_USERNAME_DESC
    ORDER_USERNAME_ASC
    ORDER_DATE_DESC
    ORDER_DATE_ASC
    ORDER_DURATION_DESC
    ORDER_DURATION_ASC
    ORDER_FILEFORMAT_DESC
    ORDER_FILEFORMAT_ASC

Tomorrow I'll add this to the site.

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    121 sounds
    1539 posts

-drum -loop analog

seems to do the trick...

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    121 sounds
    1539 posts

Bram
    it would be hard to devise an algorithm that does exactly that...

... and fast.

One could use regular expressions, but then it would take a long time doing searches. (i.e. the engine would have to look at each and every file, comparing all the tags to a certain regular expression. This would mean doing 30000+ regular expression searches right now). There's a reason why Google doesn't do regular expressions, even though it would be awesome.

- bram

1128 sounds
    12 posts

yes, regular expressions would be fantastic but your concern is understandable.
    as for analog -drum -loop, you're right. i also succeeded with this.
    but i meant the question for the general case...

thank you for the thoughtful responses bram.
    a

5 posts