Forums

6 posts

0 sounds
    0 posts
    Is This Okay?

1439 sounds
    1566 posts

Hi toiletrolltube

I personally don't have an issue... if a collation (or collage) of random samples sounds a bit "musical" is because some of the starting samples were musical to begin with. These were already in Freesound, so...

On the other hand, I think you just gave me a great idea for another dare! This is also quite on the 'minimalist' side which is something that I am currently exploring and will explore further. We could do exactly what you did - basically, some random samples and no effects.

I will pass your question to the moderators community.

hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
    527 sounds
    651 posts

Interesting stuff, what do you mean by random?

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    1439 sounds
    1566 posts

Hi toiletrolltube,

Bram is OK with this kind of creative work being posted on Freesound.
    Please do the attribution sutff, etc. But I guess all is fine, even if it sounds a bit musical.
    So feel free to post at Freesound, if you want.

As for a dare without effects there are a few things on the pipeline.
    So wait a couple of months... I have something else planned for March, but I guess after that we will have one "even more minimalist" dare.

The reason I did not jump straight into a "no effects" dare is that it is quite an extreme mindset change for most of us (me included). So, I went for a dare that restricted the number of sounds and effects and forced you to choose between the two - I thought that was an interesting concept.

Once people realise they can make a track with just one or two effects, they are more likely to embark on a full "no effects" dare.

1926 sounds
    1764 posts

Had a go with the toiletrolltube "random" method ... http://www.freesound.org/people/Timbre/sounds/146146/
    [the limitations of the Freesound preview does reduce the quality a bit].

1439 sounds
    1566 posts

Timbre wrote:
    Had a go with the toiletrolltube "random" method ...

the closest i did to this was to lookup some sounds and then play them straight from the search results page. I used to do that with fart sounds and then play a little 'music' with them. My daughters would laugh their socks off!

6 posts