Forums

• previous
  • next
  •  |  32 posts

231 sounds
    129 posts
    penalised for uploading a million files -

I understand the need for descriptions and tags - but since I am old school actually all of my files are labelled in a Tag like way on my harddrive -

for example..

gun foley cock
    gun foley slide
    gun foley slide release
    female walk heels cartpet

so when I upload 60 files like I just have - it means a lot of copying and pasting!

is there any way to make this *chore* a little easier?

actually I know some people want to know the preamp etc used - but for me *most* of the time I just assume I recorded it at a "usable" quality and I'm either unaware of what it was recorded with or I recorded it sooo long ago I cant remember..

so basically my names are just a list of tags.;;; and if the description is a list of tags instead of an essay would that offend anyone?

zoom h4 sound pro binaural Red Audio Various Cap Mic's www.fork-media.com http://www.youtube.com/user/forksoundservices?ob=0&feature;=results_main
    231 sounds
    129 posts

also be great if we can click and audition the sound - since we might want to check to add more info....

zoom h4 sound pro binaural Red Audio Various Cap Mic's www.fork-media.com http://www.youtube.com/user/forksoundservices?ob=0&feature;=results_main
    1510 sounds
    1620 posts

The importance of tags is that the search alghorythm really cares about them smile

So, sounds tagged with "gun" and "cock" will score higher on searches for these two words (even if the filename itself is something line cfoiuqwentrkqwe.wav.
    Whilst your sound with a filename of "gun foley cock.wav" and tags of "foley" "sound" "thingy" (just as an example), would score much lower and be towards the end of the search results...

You will find that some people add a lot of detail to their descriptions. But a description of "foley sound I recorded in my bedroom" with tags "gun" "cock" and "foley" should be acceptable.

I sometimes I want to have longer descriptions on my sounds with some detail.
    I tend to upload sounds in packs, with similar sounds grouped together. I write up the description on notepad (along with the tags I want to use) and then is a matter of copy/paste, with maybe some minor tweaks on the text or tags for some of the sounds.
    In a matter of minutes I can describe and tag 10 or 20 sounds easily, if I use this copy/paste method.

hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
    850 sounds
    64 posts

I had this problem recently. I spent about an hour copying and pasting tags and descriptions (221 files).

If Freesound could read title, tags and description from soudfile's tags (FLAC?), I could do this all at once in 3 minutes using say... ExFalso. And maybe spent the extra time writing more detailed description and thinking more about the tags instead of doing stupid copy/paste work delivering very littel information about the sounds anyway.

My music and other noise: http://unfamusic.com
    167 sounds
    1580 posts

unfa wrote:
    I had this problem recently. I spent about an hour copying and pasting tags and descriptions (221 files).

If Freesound could read title, tags and description from soudfile's tags (FLAC?), I could do this all at once in 3 minutes using say... ExFalso. And maybe spent the extra time writing more detailed description and thinking more about the tags instead of doing stupid copy/paste work delivering very littel information about the sounds anyway.

This is a great way to improve the current Freesound uploading system.

I know Bram isn't very accepting of new requests, but I believe this Is needed for those who chose to upload many different files at once; there are quite a few of them.

I am the thing that goes bump in the night...

203 sounds
    428 posts

Hmmm of course the cleanest and most complete solution would be server-side processing of the tags into the upload fields, and that would require changes that might not be feasible, but there might be room for something like a browser plugin that works as a Freesound upload helper? Just a wild idea...

1121 sounds
    402 posts

unfa wrote:
    If Freesound could read title, tags and description from soudfile's tags (FLAC?).

That would be amazing! It would be an encouragement to make use of metadata (currently I just write my credits into it, never anything about the file itself).

The ideal would be that it would just be an extension to the current upload form, just values in the form being pre-filled with the appropriate metadata.

Should it ever work, I would add license and group information to this as well.

There might be problems with incompatibilities between tagging software, metadata formats, issues with Unicode, HTML code in strings and string lengths.

It would be necessary to research, whether there are any standard string titles for such use.

A well-formulated feature request would surely be welcome on the issue tracker.

Click here to lend your support to: Freesound 2011 donations and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !
    Donate to Freesound.org
    so it can serve even more and better sounds to you in the future!
    1510 sounds
    1620 posts

I am going to play the devil's advocate here.
    How is filling in the tags on the metadata of 200 files any different from filling in the tags on 200 files on uploading to Freesound?
    Unless you are already tagging the files in your private collection, it does not seem to save any work.

There are various accepted formats (mp3, AIFF, wav...) and possibly several different tagging standards within each of these. Supporting all of them could be quite a task.

hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
    3095 sounds
    308 posts

The only thing that sort of bothers me (and I guess to some degree keeps me from uploading lots of sounds at once) is since Freesound 2 there is only the possibility to "see" or edit one sample at a time and only have four samples per page. In Freesound 1 all uploaded samples were visible at the same time. So really of course it is very minor but it is something that comes to my mind any time I upload more than four sounds at once. It isn't really an issue if the sounds are unrelated and I have to make different tags and descriptions anyway.
    And yes, I have brought this up before. And yes, this is a super minor complaint.

0 sounds
    5 posts

ITS JUST GREAT you kats r uploading new stuff THANKS A BILLION, I WILL DO SUMM NOW.. LETS KEEP THIS SITE FRESH AND HOT UP.. WOWZA CHEERS

231 sounds
    129 posts

but thats the point. i started doing this before metadata.. so my library developed by being named at "ingestion" in the filing system with tags.. ie the tags are the name ..

so when I make new files I just name them things like wood door open close various, or tram pass crossing rain people

to me the name is the tag.

and +1 to corsica S - it would terrific to be able to see all the recent uploads with waveform - abit loke on the home page - waiitng moderation..

the plug in that copied the data from field to field seems like a possible solution.

AND TO MADKLOWN - YOUR WELCOME_ PLEASE CONTRIBUTE BUT HOPE YOU DONT NAME YA TAGS IN CAPS tongue

850 sounds
    64 posts

AlienXXX wrote:
    How is filling in the tags on the metadata of 200 files (1) any different from filling in the tags on 200 files on uploading to Freesound (2)?

(1) There are tagging tools (I use ExFalso for Linux) that let you write same tags to multiple files at once. I select 200 files, type in a set of tags with few clicks and viola! All files have same tags in few minutes. The program duplicate data and writes it for me automaticaly, (2) doing the same using Freesound's web interface requires me to do it all manually for each file, which for me (a programmer, a computer geek) seems like an obvious waste of time.

My music and other noise: http://unfamusic.com
    1121 sounds
    402 posts

AlienXXX wrote:
    How is filling in the tags on the metadata of 200 files any different from filling in the tags on 200 files on uploading to Freesound?

For me personally it would be more pleasant because I cut my files in Audacity, which has an optional tag editor that shows up when exporting files. This would make the interruption between editing/listening and describing a sound = 0, which is more pleasant than first editing 4 sounds and then describing them individually. smile

Click here to lend your support to: Freesound 2011 donations and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !
    Donate to Freesound.org
    so it can serve even more and better sounds to you in the future!
    0 sounds
    5 posts

freesound NOT PERFICT ROCK ON GIRLY GIRLS.. ga GA GOOOOOOO

3066 sounds
    476 posts

Corsica_S wrote:
    The only thing that sort of bothers me (and I guess to some degree keeps me from uploading lots of sounds at once) is since Freesound 2 there is only the possibility to "see" or edit one sample at a time and only have four samples per page...

AMEN!

121 sounds
    1545 posts

number of sounds will be incremented to 10/page (more might become too heavy to load!).
    and you will be able to see more than one sound at a time.
    I'll ask Frederic to let you guys know when that's been deployed...

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    3095 sounds
    308 posts

Thanks very much Bram!!!!!

18 sounds
    39 posts

Changes deployed!
    Now you can describe 10 sounds per round and have as many as you want "open" at the same time.
    If you find any problems please tell us wink

frederic

frederic
    the freesound team
    231 sounds
    129 posts

for that I am going to try it now! grin

231 sounds
    129 posts

hmm sorry a bit glitchy...

when I first tried it - never saw the text import field at all - it just skipped to the end!

of course as soon as I try to screen record for you it - shows me the box to inut text - *then* skips to the end

maybe easier to watch the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fubm85nb6bt70o/freesoud%20glitch.mov

I will have to restart my computer to see if that solves it - but I'm listening to the pixies and drinking beer! smile

its nearly midnight here - I am allowed! smile

• previous
  • next
  •  |  32 posts