Forums

55 sounds
    127 posts

Ah - my inexperience showing through smile

The end of the blimp was very close to the target. I could quite easily hear the grass when monitoring but it always appears fainter when I play back through audacity.

I've uploaded the raw wav file (mono) with an amplify modifier only (+15db): http://www.david-higgins.com/sound/grass_amplify.wav

The sound starts to roar toward the end (the stronger the wind gets) to the point where it actually sounds like a jet airliner passing overhead. I'm pretty sure there wasn't one there and the mike was pointed horizontally directly at the grass about 12" off the ground.

Here is my processed version: http://www.david-higgins.com/sound/grass_processed.mp3

Cheers

David

70 sounds
    134 posts

higginsdj
    OK - went out with my shotgun mike in a blimp and dead wombat in windy conditions. My aim was to capture [...] ie the whistle in pines, the rustling of leaves on trees, rushes and tall grass. BUT, in all cases, came the roar of the wind as well. [...] So for the tall grass sound I used compression then equalisation, removing everything below 1000hz and it resulted in a higher pitched wind sound BUT I could distinctly hear the tall grass fronds and sticks rustling with the wind. Am I on the right track? Did I go too far? Could I go further? Is there something else I can do?

Hello David,

From what you said, I'm unclear on what you did to capture your recordings (were you close to the grass or did you try to record it from a distance), what the problem sound is (the wind makes lots of different roars), and how your goal sound differs from the sound you recorded (what was present and what was missing?). What track did you mean to be on, too far for what, and further than what? Did you mean wind noise in the microphone despite the blimp and dead wombat, or some other wind sound?

If you could link to a bit of the problem audio, and maybe also to a sample on freesound which represents your goal sound and lacks your problem sound, that would be really helpful! I'd love to advise you but I just don't understand what you mean, sorry.

18 sounds
    52 posts

Now I'm getting this error message:

* Creeper.wav :: file /freesound/uploads/706101/Creeper.wav already in database!

FIXED

55 sounds
    127 posts

OK - went out with my shotgun mike in a blimp and dead wombat in windy conditions. My aim was to capture the effect of the wind - ie the whistle in pines, the rustling of leaves on trees, rushes and tall grass. BUT, in all cases, came the roar of the wind as well. Now I do not know if the roar of the wind was just the capture of more distant wind effects (ie the sound of strong wind through a big gum tree (eucalypt) is a strong roaring sound) or just the strong wind effect directly on the mike itself.

So for the tall grass sound I used compression then equalisation, removing everything below 1000hz and it resulted in a higher pitched wind sound BUT I could distinctly hear the tall grass fronds and sticks rustling with the wind. Am I on the right track? Did I go too far? Could I go further? Is there something else I can do?

Cheers

0 sounds
    1 post

Things like WOOO! AND WOAH!

Something in like a techno song such as basshunter or Dj Splash

please!!

2063 sounds
    1859 posts

Sounds like high tom drums with an overdose of reverb.

0 sounds
    1 post

Looking for ATC bytes...
    -Taxi clearance
    -Take-off clearance
    -"Hold short of runway 1"

Thats all I need. Whether its genuine or reproductio/mockup, I dont care.
    Thank you all so much for an amazing community.

18 sounds
    52 posts

Ok, upload worked this time but now the desciption process doesn't work:

Attention! There were errors while adding your files! See below...

* Creeper.wav :: rename from /freesound/uploads/706101/Creeper.wav to /freesound/data/94/sounds/94506__Dstruct__Creeper.wav failed

FIXED

3227 sounds
    317 posts

In case you haven't seen on the front page, Freesound was hacked and so there are some problems the admins need to fix. That might be the cause.

2 sounds
    2 posts

Hi there,

I am seeking recordings of either Dari or Pashto conversation. In particular any market\souk\Bazaar ambiences with sellers hawking their goods in either Dari or Pashto would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2 sounds
    2 posts

I've done it. pretty successfully. Find the sound of some object being thrown into water, preferably from the perspective of underwater. make sure it is a fairly short sample, with the majority of the sound being maybe a second or two long and a tail of 3 or 4 seconds. Use this sound as your impulse response. Should work super well for a glock... BUT before you run your reverb first eq the sound: bring up around the 500 band. I also used a denoiser filter but set the threshold too high for a kind of spectral effect, use a filter that responds to volume if that doesn't work well enough. Maybe a bit of tremolo, and THEN your convolution and you should be golden.

-Jeremy

0 sounds
    1 post

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I was searching google for a fire effect and found Dynamicell's forest fire aif. Thanks Dynamicell!! I had a techno-like song I made in reason 4 that I couldn't figure out an ending to. So I had an idea to have an effect of someone lighting a match a few times and starting a fire. Gradually the fire overtakes the song until it's all that's left. I also added a very un-noticeable thing to the song. If you listen really hard you can hear some tapping there foot in sync with the song. Almost like their waiting for the fire to consume everything. You don't hear it after the flame gets really big.

If you want to check this out and give me feedback go to this page at newgrounds. I have some of my other audio stuff there as well wink

www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/324718 (Don't forget to add the http : // part at the beginning - no quotes of course)

Thanks guys, I look forward to getting to know some of you!

-Hostile 17

0 sounds
    1 post

I know the video has terrible acting, but its the only I could show what I'm looking for.

From 0:36-0:38, www youtube com/watch?v=oBWkECFGHRI&feature=related (add "." between spaces)

It's goes like "dooh dooh dooooh". Thanks.

0 sounds
    14 posts

If you are willing to record your voice for a video game that is currently in the works, please either message me here or email me at 'Plug05@hotmail.co.uk'

Thanks,

Ben

18 sounds
    52 posts

The header isn't damaged. Standard 32bit floating point file (48 kHz) written by REAPER (without BWF chunk).

FIXED

1947 sounds
    2120 posts

Hello Dstruct,

I had the same problema couple of days ago (curiously, also with a large file).
    Bram suggested the file header might be damaged and that I should open the file on my editor and save it again. Then try uploading.
    That solved my problem. Can you try that?

0 sounds
    2 posts

i just contacted the creator of the sound file and they said it is okay for me to use it in my video. should i just print the email out and send it to the contest people as proof that it's okay?

0 sounds
    94 posts

I like it, that it shows what a particular person downloaded. If they downloaded some stuff of you, then you can check out, what else he downloaded. This makes you understand the context in which your sample will probably beeing used.
    Furthermore: You get all the sounds for free and it is not that hard so write down, what samples you used what for. So less work for such a big library.

If everybody could delete his/her att. list, I think most of the lists would be empty, `cause most of the people would download as much as they can and then delete their lists, pretending that they haven`t anything at all.

18 sounds
    52 posts

For me it would be enough if it wouldn't list my own samples: http://www.freesound.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5398

18 sounds
    52 posts

OK wink

Basically I'm just downloading my own samples to check if they were uploaded correctly. I don't want to see them in the attribution list.