Forums

2 sounds
    19 posts

don't forget to put a bit of static under it.

975 sounds
    145 posts

you could always subscribe to Magesy or PAT and buy a rapidshare account. . . .
    For the hard stuff look for Shock Force,
    Or take a Kick, Compress it. Reverb It. Reduce the Bits, and Stretch It out a little bit.

0 sounds
    49 posts

lol ok.

Yea, def don't use the gate in the Black box.

17 sounds
    55 posts

UncleSigmund
    Shortcircuit is good and free. You can get it here: http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
    very promising, thanks.

26 sounds
    107 posts

Thanks to both of you guys, much obliged!

26 sounds
    107 posts

mike-t3
    tweeterdj

You know what, that's exactly the kind of thinking that prevents people from making good recordings at home. You don't need to eliminate every single noise that you hear, you need to discriminate between "noise" and "sounds". If you use filters, gates or anything similar in the signal path of your recording, you will lose quality, even if you think you're making things sound nicer. I by no means have a top notch room, nor do I have top notch equipment, but I can make nice sounding recordings without filters or gates because I know what will sound like noise and what might just be a sound. Sometimes a little extra sound can make it more human, though admittedly you might not want it TOO apparent!
    Anyway, I just think if you start trying to have the cleanest recording in the world with gates and filters you will end up with a lifeless mess of a recording, so why not just record clean and worry about things afterwards?

Don't a agree. Using a gate will not mean thats your audio loses quality.

Using EQ etc might add some issues - but really, the average guy is not going to hear the tiniest of phase issues - they might however hear (or at least appreciate) the benifit of removing the gunk below 120Hz of a vocal. But it really is the lesser of two evils.

EQ it, compress it, gate it, do whatever you want to it. If you want purity... go to a nice expensive recording studio and use some nice expensive mics, desks and recording rooms.

You can't leave room noise on a recording when your room has not been treated. It'll sound crap - it won't translate well on tinny systems and people will point at laugh :wink:

Mike, I agreed with you before, about gating AFTER recording. I was just worried about the fact that the original poster had a gate IN the signal chain (on his M-Audio Black Box). At any rate, there's some room noise on the recordings I've made (and sold) and nobody's pointed and laughed at me yet!

17 sounds
    55 posts

DJ Chronos

^^
    Good call! That's a cool thing you can do with SIR, especially with drum reverb and adding cool textures from other drum kits.

My personal favourite was a recording of a bit of selotape stretching and then snapping, applied to some synthetic drums... gave a really organic, rich quality I thought... (wonder where that file is now). I went through a phase of doing quite a bit of this sort of stuff; using sword sound effects from the game Thief and other things. Talking of Thief, that featured the 'poltergeist' reverse-reverb effect quite extensively, I seem to remember. Such a good game, but I digress. Of course, I'm not suggesting people use other people's copyright materials for anything other than possibly their own amusement.

0 sounds
    3 posts

was listening to a world service documentary about prison escapees and there was a slip of an audio recording some escapees made...
    (full documentarylink - i can't link to :cry: if you google "bbc world service and go to their "documentaries section" it should be there under the title o "convict streak"wink

was wondering if anyone knew where i could find the full clip??

bit of a long shot really wootops:

1118 sounds
    397 posts

you can post the link. just remove the http://www. in front of it

44 sounds
    99 posts

ground lift for electrical interference. Not sure what "earth hum" is??? Anyways, yeah it's 60hz in the US due to the 60 hz oscillating AC current used in buildings.

44 sounds
    99 posts

there are lots of recordings on freesound with both recorders. search for "h2" and "h4" and you'll find lots of recordings to make your own decision.

0 sounds
    4 posts

great guys this is really useful stuff, thanks very much.
    i am now looking at the zoom h2, being a bit cheaper than the h4, what do you reckon?
    thanks again

15 sounds
    135 posts

try
    http://www.kvraudio.com/

for vsts.

44 sounds
    99 posts

I am gonna have to agree with thetruwu on this one. Mini-disc is second rate to most hard disc recorders out on the market. I have used the H4 in the past and there doesn't seem to be much of an issue with hiss at all. The H4 has editing features just like mini disc recorders but also includes a lot of editing that mini disc doesn't, like it's 4 track abilities. Also if you ever want to upgrade to professional microphones the phantom power and xlr jacks are very useful. Another key feature that the H4 includes is the multiple file formats and sample rates it can directly record to. I would also like to go ahead and second thetruwu by saying the onboard mics are suprisingly good, and far exceeded my expectations.

0 sounds
    1 post

ive gone for freqmans to use in a short film, thanks mate, coz iv been searching sites for hours
    am pretty sure the hum in the other is an earth issue, make sure if ur using anything between mic and mixer etc that u use a DI box for a ground lift.
    earth hum is v distinctive as its at 50Hz (well, not in the states, but they wouldnt b the same would they lol)
    cheers again 4 the sounds
    nic

0 sounds
    8 posts

Just like to say thank you and hello! I'm new-so I can't post the link right now...
    So thank you. sad

0 sounds
    3 posts

yep. i would do it myself, but i like to hear other unique voices.
    Must be a clear "2"!

THANKS!

0 sounds
    1 post

I need Techno Trance, Hard Bass kicks and all that bang bang bang bang music shit sounds!!
    I dont find any vst's anymore, i've tried, toxic, morphine, v-station, and many many more and now i dont find them anymore.
    Could Someone Upload some VsT's and hard sounds for me!?

Chris grin

231 sounds
    27 posts

Shortcircuit is good and free. You can get it here: http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

828 sounds
    73 posts

Well, on the other hand there is still a lot going for minidisk recorders. I think that often the preamps produce less hiss then on some other recorders and you can devide a track easy and erase the part, you donĀ“t want. Plus, there is the storage away from the computer.

A HiMD recoder records in the PCM mode, which is uncompressed audio.

Microphones: well the Soundman OKM binaural microphones are great and the Shure wl187s or try to do your own setup with Panasonic microphone capsules you can buy at Ebay for just a few pounds.: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94446.0.html