Forums

0 sounds
    4 posts

Thanks Wibby, you've been great.
    I think I will go for a 4 port mixer. I presume if I get one that takes 6mm Jacks instead of XLR a simple adapter/converter lead would work just fine?

The radio Kit I have been looking at states:

Specifications

- Modulation : FM
    - Frequency response : 50~12500Hz
    - Output Impedance : 600 ohm
    - Effective Distance : Approximately 50M
    - Frequency used : 170~250MHz
    - Manual tuning of channels are not required.

Receiver
    - 6.3mm (1/4 inch) connector
    - uses one AA battery

Transmitter
    -3.5mm type input suitable for electric guitar and bass.
    - uses one 9V battery

Connector cable
    - 6.3mm to 3.5mm cable allowing users to connect the electric guitar to the transmitter

I didn't think FM would be a good idea as other things transmit on fm, but the church is probably more than 200m from the road, is surrounded by farmland and the town is so small I would class it as a village.

I suppose for the price of the one I am looking at if it doesn't work then I won't have lost much.

If it were to suddenly stop transmitting then it wouldn't be the end of the world as the guitar is also acoustic and has a decent range, plugging in just gives it a nice depth and gets me heard a bit better above the organ.

0 sounds
    3 posts

anyone?

13 sounds
    394 posts

Hi tomo,

Seems like a new 4 input mixer is your simplest solution. It should work fine, but set the input channel on the "main" mixer for Line level input - unless the "new" mixer has an output pad (typically -14dB) to reduce it's output to mic level. Using line level is always preferable from a noise/interference point of view.

I have little experience of modern affordable radio mics/links, but I would only recommend using them over as short a distance as possible anyway, say less than a quarter of the "published" specification range. Published specs are often very optimistic in cost conscience gear, and nearby interfering equipment can come and go unpredictably on the public frequencies used. It doesn't matter how often you use it if it farts, stutters and drops out the one time you've got a live audience! When cheaper radio links go wrong they can sound worse than unplugging live cables.

Afraid I have no recommendations for which mixers or radio kit to look at, but maybe some of the more knowledgeable and helpful souls on freesound can offer suggestions? It might help them to say what country you're in.

Good luck,
    Wibby.

527 sounds
    651 posts

Sinle ding

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=66952

0 sounds
    4 posts

Many thanks for your response, they definitely don't want any buzzes and clicks during the service.

No one is able to control the mixer during the service because it is set up too close to the alter, I had to sneak up before my bit to turn it off and swap it over today.

From your response I guess I am best going for a cheap mixer, will this connect into the main mixer ok or do I have anything else to worry about?

They need a new Radio mic for services too, but they haven't got any spare channels, I guess if I was to connect a 4 channel mixer in before the mixer that would free up another channel I suppose that they could use for a new radio mic.
    I've also seen on ebay some cheap radio guitar set ups, I guess you get what you pay for, but because of how infrequent I currently play then this would also eliminate running another lead in for me to connect to and give me freedom to set up and play where is comfortable as opposed to dodging the elderly who are pottering about.

Thanks again for the reply. I hope you can clarify about the mixer and then I can convince the vicar/PCC to let me go shopping or if I get the cheap kit I can get it as a gift to the church I suppose.

13 sounds
    394 posts

Hi Timbre.

Hey! Glad this idea has been discovered by others too. Makes it more likely as a "generic" work-around.

The problem that most people have is that their browser is set up to open an app or plug-in to play the sound. Different browsers (even versions of the same browser) handle php and html in links differently. With some players, (the simple quick time player for instance) the user is not even given the option to save the file from there. It's the browser handler settings that are important. A similar problem sometimes occurs in browsers other than firefox, so I'm hoping a similar approach will work for them also.

Wibby.

13 sounds
    394 posts

Hi tomo,

It is not likely that you will blow up the amp by switching inputs while the system is live, but you will probably cause a very loud click - buzz which could blow the loudspeakers. If the mixer volume control is turned right down or the mute switch pressed to kill the sound on the relevant channel while plugging, it should be quite safe to swap cables on the input. The only situation which could stress the mixer is if the equipment being plugged in were powered from the mains and had a serious earthing fault which allowed a high voltage to develop on the XLR. If the mic and DI box are self-powered, i.e. not connected to power supplies from the mains there should be no problem.

However I guess the person responsible for the PA still might not be happy about about this solution in which case another simple mixer is required to combine your mic and guitar. XLR splitters are usually configured to send one signal to two places rather then mix two signals to one place.

As for the Guitar pre-amp being turned down to "1", it sounds like the mixer input is set to the "Mic" position when it should be set to "Line" to be matched to the guitar/DI box. Does the DI box have a gain/sensitivity/attenuate/pad switch which can changed?

Wibby.

2074 sounds
    1862 posts

strangely_gnarled
    ... to download a file I "LEFT" click (not right-click) the download button and a window pops up with an option to save the file. Hey presto.

Ditto ... http://www.freesound.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24724#24724

13 sounds
    394 posts

Hello everybody.

Having observed the same problem from the beginning on my Vista with Firefox or IE8 computer, here is how I solved it. This idea ought to work on on most OS and browser combinations.

First go to tools-options-applications (for windows+firefox - or whatever for other browsers) and set all audio file extensions you are interested in to "Always ask" what to do with this file type. So I set "Always ask" for .wav, .aiff, .mp3, etc.

Now, to download a file I "LEFT" click (not right-click) the download button and a window pops up with an option to save the file. Hey presto.

Since doing this I've never had any problem downloading files from Freesound.

Hope this works for you, but either way it would be useful to everybody to report back here with success or failure, and details on setting the options for different browsers.

Wibby.

2074 sounds
    1862 posts

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=66951

0 sounds
    9 posts

To start the match like Ding Ding Ding or when someone is punched in the crotch area in video games or TV.

Any help appreciated thanks.

70 sounds
    134 posts

joeskeeter
    What a manual it comes with.
    I have read how to connect the guitar to the H4N but
    I cannot tell if you can listen to the effect while
    the guitar is plugged in.
    Do you have to record to hear anything.
    I set it on MTR, then turned on the pre-amp
    and selected the effect out of the list.
    got no sound.e

I agree the manual can be pretty hard to follow.

You know how you press the record button once and it flashes a red light, and then to record you press it again and the red light glows steady?

Sometimes I find I have to press the record button and wait for the red light to flash before I can get a level. Not always, but sometimes. So try pressing the record button so the red light flashes and see if you can get a sound then. It won't record until you press it again and the red light glows without flashing.

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi. "Save target vas" gives me an html save. "Save As" lets me save thye picture. I can't save the sound. I am using Windows 7 on a Dell.

0 sounds
    1 post

it doesnt work for me either, im using Windows Vista 32 bit with windows internet explorer. It only saves it as a .html doc, i cant seem to save it as a .wav

0 sounds
    4 posts

Hello everyone !

It's a pleasure for me to announce you the immediate avalaibility on Jamendo of "to be alive" my second song with the singer and guitarist Adeline :

http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/65138

Feel free to send your comments on the album's page !
    Have a nice listening !

DoosC

0 sounds
    4 posts

test

0 sounds
    4 posts

I have searched. Not sure if I understand any of the answers that come up.

I am a complete noob when it comes to PA sound systems.

Here's my problem.

I play guitar in my church occasionally, until now I have been repositioning one of the mics to pick the guitar up, which I was fed up with because my guitar is an electro accoustic. I bought a lead and a DI box and planned to just unplug the mic from the socket and plug my DI box in before I began to play but was told nothing can be plugged or unplugged while the kit is switched on because it will blow the amp. The amp is quite old and there are no spare inputs into the mixer, and no spare ports on the Amp to connect another mixer, the church is practically bankrupt so I don't want to blow their kit as I will have to replace it myself.
    I am exploring the cheapest way of getting the sound system over the PA.

There is an XLR socket that one of the Mic's plug into, I have seen some XLR splitters that will allow me to connect both the mic and the DI box to that one socket with zero fuss. Will this work though? Or is there another way? If this won't work then would I beable to connect another cheap mixer to connect the mic XLR and the DI box XLR into then a lead into the XLR socket which goes back to the mixer?

Other points to note are the mic is extremely unlikely to be switched on at all while the guitar is being played, while setting up this morning I noticed the pre amp volume on the guitar had to be as low as number 1 otherwise is was too loud. This could also be turned to zero when not in use.

Any help would be greatly recieved, I am at my wits end, I just want to make it work and as cheaply as possible.

4 sounds
    1 post

Concerts in Living Rooms is the new thing, not mainstream always
    but rumored as more kreuzkoellny than Friedrichshain. Apart from
    such Managementquarters and stats on May 1st 2010 the first backyard
    concert (HH = Hinterhof) comes as an open jam session, in the
    Manteuffelstr. 70, Berlin-Kreuzberg form 20:30 h on. Please bring
    instruments, DJequipment and amplifiers!

Tendentially: No Backline, unfortunately no mirrorball, free
    entrance, no Jazzjazz, no Sets, no Trophy-HipHop-Rap-Toast, Geeks
    welcome, Sound in progress, no Just-Experimental, dynamic order,
    pros without fee, no Djembeambient-must be, Impro, Noise too,
    Installations and Gadgetry, please <120dB, without registration but
    no Sound2Go. Everybody can get in or out at any time. For topical
    orientation say "free association of doers".

Notes and e-mails are warmly welcome -- Who wants to may be listed
    on a line-up (a 2nd e-mailflyer will follow).

Liverecording or Audiolivestream supported by top e.V.

What You Get Is What You Hear

Contact/Kontakt: HHkonzerts <label(at)n0name.de>

www.radi0.tv

0 sounds
    1 post

hell-O!!i play fx in a death metal band. can you tell me when i can found a very power bass explosion for break-down? (for example beneath the massacre or Origin)

0 sounds
    18 posts

AlienXXX

Also, if you make copyright free music, perhaps a chance to get some of your music out there.

Yes, if you make copyright free music send me an e-mail (the adress in the Contact page on the website) and I'll add it...

Updates:

my stats are low...i need more 15min or more sessions...for stats this average time (15 minutes) is very important...

If you want to listen to my radio with your own player ( Windows media player, ITunes and others) or if you want to RATE my radio go to [edit-see below]

Thanks