Forums

22 sounds
    3 posts

sinatra314
    I have posted a seamlessly loopable file of footsteps in the woods.
    http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=58155

It's only 18 seconds long, but loopable without any discernable seam.

Best,
    Sinatra314

Not sure i can really use this one but i will probably use your footsteps on wooden floor and chair scrapes etc.

22 sounds
    3 posts

HerbertBoland
    http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=31962
    They are actually footsteps on a path that starts in a forest. But unfortunally no leaves or mud.

This one is nearly perfect (longer would be perfect).
    It actually fits in with what i want really well with the foot wiping at the end (a guy walking into a pub from a forest) grin

cheers!

43 sounds
    8 posts

I have posted a seamlessly loopable file of footsteps in the woods.
    http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=58155

It's only 18 seconds long, but loopable without any discernable seam.

Best,
    Sinatra314

306 sounds
    74 posts

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=31962
    They are actually footsteps on a path that starts in a forest. But unfortunally no leaves or mud.

606 sounds
    276 posts

whatsanickname4u
    Thanks digifish. I'll look into it.

In reply to tweeterdj I'm hoping to find nearfield monitors but could you recommend me one or two in both categories just incase?

Great NFM's for those on a budget are...

Alesis M1 Mk II.
    Behringer TRUTH B2030A

I assumed you needed self-amplified?

digifish

606 sounds
    276 posts

zeekwab
    Hello digifishmusic,

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been around on the internet for a few days!

That does sound quite good actually, I mean, the background is effectively gone and that what I needed remains!

What tricks did you use to achieve this?

Thanks a lot!

BTW, I might use this sound in an indie computer game, if you're fine with that smile

It's OK with me ... it's your sound. I used spectral analysis to isolate the frequencies that were associated with the sound then simply EQ'd away anything that was not that sound.

You got lucky as the sound was spectrally separate from the background (largely).

Then I added some stereo effect to restore the natural ambience of it.

digifish

8 sounds
    12 posts

Thanks digifish. I'll look into it.

In reply to tweeterdj I'm hoping to find nearfield monitors but could you recommend me one or two in both categories just incase?

368 sounds
    255 posts

It might work yeah smile

And thanks to all here for these ocean/water sounds!!!!!!!!!!
    This is a great thread.

0 sounds
    6 posts

Hello digifishmusic,

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been around on the internet for a few days!

That does sound quite good actually, I mean, the background is effectively gone and that what I needed remains!

What tricks did you use to achieve this?

Thanks a lot!

BTW, I might use this sound in an indie computer game, if you're fine with that smile

4 sounds
    47 posts

Please don't tell me you are a hip hop group with all emcees having 'MC' in their names. Are ya? Cause that couldn't be more expected and unoriginal.

4 sounds
    47 posts

I live nowhere near the ocean, if I record myself splashing a spoon in a toilet bowl would that work??

smile

4 sounds
    47 posts

Dang, you can be my new best friend, sound good? smile Anyways, I love the sound of an upright and there's little to nothing on here. Once you start posting stuff on here I'll try and get in touch with you for more in depth stuff which I'd be willing to pay for any troubles they may cause you.

0 sounds
    2 posts

Yes I already had Audacity.
    But I didnt know that, like I am allowed to do that ..

I thought people use the WHOLE 10 seconds of the sound to use it.
    Thanks for tellin =]

22 sounds
    3 posts

Hi. Im new here and this site is perfect for the ambiant/brainentrainment music i am trying to make.
    All the thunder and forest sounds are great!

What im really after is a recording of really clear footsteps in a forest. It would need to be without any modern sounds like traffic/ planes etc.

I havnt found any recordings on here where the footsteps are really clear.

Footsteps on a muddy trail would be good.

If it was 8 min long or more that would be fantastic!

Ill upload my stuff someday and list all the sound contributers from here.

Cheers for all the great sounds!

606 sounds
    276 posts

whatsanickname4u

decent recording equipment for a college student to use.
    to record all types of sounds I wouldn't mind using the equipment to really get the best of musical performances from a solo instrument but this is a lower priority. What I'm eyeing right now is the Zoom H2 handheld recorder. I would be willing to spend just about that $180 price tag, is it?-- unless someone can persuade me otherwise.

Greetings,

given you are nervous at spending $180, you won't get a better sound in that price-range. The H2 can make great recordings, there are plenty on Freesound that support that. For your interest here is a H2 orchestral recording:

Click here --> www.digifishmusic.com/public/sounds/Freesound_H2_Orchestra.zip (1.6 Meg)

It was made on a Zoom H2 (courtesy of OZPeter ). The H2 was in the center of the orchestra on a 12 foot stand. The stand was right in front of, and effectively above, the first row of woodwind instruments. The back of the H2 faced the back of the orchestra and the front faced the conductor, looking across the back of the string players.

Some other flash-recorder options are...

Edirol R09HR
    Marantz PMD620
    Olympus LS-10
    Sony PCM-D50
    Tascam DR-1

BTW: This site has a nice comparison of features and inboard/outboard mics etc...

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/compare-portable-recorders.html

About the Zoom H2, while it makes nice field recordings, the mics are definitely more colored than the group above.

Here's the sound comparison page...

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

I have extensive experience with the R09 and R09HR if you want to ask questions about them

digifish

26 sounds
    107 posts

whatsanickname4u
    Hello, just joined Freesound not too long ago. I am still new to this whole recording sound editing/recording field.

I was wondering if anybody could give me suggestions on decent recording equipment for a college student to use. I hope to record all types of sounds I might use for movies but more so in theatrical plays. At the same time, I wouldn't mind using the equipment to really get the best of musical performances from a solo instrument but this is a lower priority. What I'm eyeing right now is the Zoom H2 handheld recorder. I would be willing to spend just about that $180 price tag, is it?-- unless someone can persuade me otherwise.

Also, I'm looking for decent speakers for the same types of sounds. No idea yet on what I should get. Any enduring brands I should look out for?

Welcome to Freesound! The Zoom H2 will be okay for recording some sounds, but from a solo instrument it would be better to have a dedicated condenser mic (or 2) for the job. That said, for the money you can't do better than the H2. As far as speakers go, what size of speaker are you talking about? A small nearfield monitor to listen closely, or a larger reference monitor for general listening?

98 sounds
    44 posts

LOL grin

0 sounds
    1 post

I had registered and confirmed the activation, but when I login from the Power Director 7, loading is so long, it takes probably half a hour still loading it, can't go to the website to d/l sound, what should I do? sad :?:

121 sounds
    1545 posts

sounds good. don't forget to sample the notes *well apart* and at various velocities!

as in LOUD, loud, normal, quiet, really quiet.

smile

- Bram

121 sounds
    1545 posts

it does sound like your computer rather than freesound.

- bram