Forums

0 sounds
    8 posts

geez, im new and i havnt posted any sounds yet (still working on it!) and i even know that this is a slow moving forum. dont post something and expect it to be done in two days. if you want it dont that quick than you shouldnt even bother making a podcast because that takes time too.

0 sounds
    8 posts

Hi! I'm doing a zombie themed set and i need a sample from you guys!

I need an am radio type news broadcast. I prefer the speaker to be a woman and i want the anchorwoman or anchorman to say something like this (feel free to change it to make it sound more convincing, i just want the general message in the sample) :

"New word from the nation's top scientists on the 'zombie' virus that appeared two weeks ago. They released information saying that the symptoms to watch for are : Aggression, Foaming from the mouth, Deterioration of motor skills, And a unbelievable hunger. Be advised that if an infected becomes hostile, the only way to harm them is to shoot them in the head."

Please post a raw version of the file and/or a version with editing. It'd be nice if it was possible for the signal to cut out and have static at times like a real am radio does some times.

Thanks a lot in advance! If im asking too much of you than I'm sorry. I'de be fine with a raw file of someone saying that just as long as the voice sounds like a news caster.

1979 sounds
    1810 posts

The Sony switch device you linked to is designed for milliWatt input-level (line level) signals and
    may not be able to handle the higher output-level (speaker level) signals, (which could be several Watts).

1979 sounds
    1810 posts

When I recorded my heartbeat I used a electret microphone glued to a ~9cm diameter lid from a coffee jar,
    (the plastic coffee jar lid had a ~3mm hole drilled in the centre to allow the sound into the mic).

With the benefit of hindsight a smaller lid from a plastic milk bottle would have been sufficient and blue-tak would be easier (and safer) than using thermal glue to seal the electret mic capsule over the hole.

The plastic lid acts as a cup, directing sounds from the body into the mic and helping exclude sound from the room, similar to a stethoscope.

The electret mic signal was first fed through a (home made) pre-amp with a gain of about 20dB.
    (This type of toy may provide a cheap high gain pre-amp).

Faxe_Kondi
    ... need to pick up our stomach sound for a live performance.

Use headphones rather than loudspeakers to monitor the borborygmi, otherwise you will probably get a feedback squeal.

0 sounds
    0 posts

I'm trying to download a sound, but I can't because QuickTime basic doesn't allow me to download sounds without upgrading to pro. Is there another way to download the sounds?

0 sounds
    4 posts

Hi, we're currently working on the school project and need to pick up our stomach sound for a live performance.

First when we connected contact microphone with a room equalizer, it picked up some small trace of gurgling sound. But when we tried to amplify the signal by connecting the microphone to the DIY amplifier then to the room equalizer, it couldn't pick up anything.

i have some questions regarding to my little knowledge about sound and its theory (or any further suggestion that will make it easier or cheaper... because we have to draw everything from our own pocket sad ).

+ Contact or electret microphone is better for picking up stomach sound?
    + Around which frequency will be for the stomach/visceral sound?
    + Can we use computer instead of room equalizer or audio mixer?

Thank you very much!

258 sounds
    355 posts

lucky for you my buddy happens to work in one so i'll have him record some noise for ya. I'll have it up by monday

258 sounds
    355 posts

what a cry baby. Give it a few days cry baby people do have lives. Okay i'll stop now.

128 sounds
    198 posts

The answer is no, I wouldn't hear any difference. You're absolutely correct that time and angular differences happen continuously within our ear/head/brain/environment relationship.

When in the studio, I hardly even worry about potential phase issues, because individual mic isolation/clarity are more practical concerns and phase isn't something that can be eliminated theoretically or physically. I promise that I am not a total theory/math freak, I typically only care about the things I have realistic control over.

I do however have a strong personal preference for not introducing limitations at the front-end of an historical or specifically defined recording process. Mid-Side is one thing, 3 mono microphones is simply a different technique.

Anyway, I do apologize if I sounded too critical; I respect and enjoy ALL recording scenarios. I was perhaps adhering to closely to the title of this particular thread.

91 sounds
    97 posts

This is pretty much what I had in mind, although the cost (including shipping) is higher than I was hoping for:

http://electronicsusa.com/mk7.html

Since I simply can't keep things simple, I'm now looking at adding another computer to use as an occasional input, so now this looks more appropriate except for the need for adapters which increases cost (and probably reduces quality, although in this case that's less of a concern than convenience):

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=4083

Not quite ready to buy, in case anybody would like to share alternative ideas. grin

42 sounds
    82 posts

Repeated a few times in various ways. Raw file, no fx. Hope it works for you.
    http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=72260

128 sounds
    198 posts

I'm still a little leery of the setups as shown and described. Not saying it can't lead to wonderful results, but even such a distance shown between the capsule of the shotgun and the Fig-8 there can easily be time-delay issues which tend to deteriorate the accuracy of MS.

I have always practiced to get the capsules as physically close as possible without touching, and also to make sure that the Mid mic pattern fits exactly perpendicular and centred on the off-axis of the Fig-8.(Dead-centre and 90-deg of the two lobes)
    Doing blumlein recordings (2 crossed Figure-8s) requires extreme precision along these lines or it is not nearly as effective as it can be. This is part of the reason that Ambisonic/Soundfield or Tetrahedral microphones for surround-sound use have such precise angles. They're ability to remain in phase (Both in time and intensity) require this precision or the effect doesn't work.

Just as an example of my thinking: If I had a rig such as the one shown, I would probably hang the Figure-8 over top of the shotgun so that I could get the two capsules to be closer together.

Anyway, not dissing any particular technique, just being anal.

128 sounds
    198 posts

These might be a little more extreme than you need, but there is a ton of revs and vrooms here (In a hotrod style though):

http://www.freesound.org/downloadpack/4020/4020_lonemonk_Automobiles.zip
    http://drop.io/shineandmeet

91 sounds
    97 posts

Be sure to refund his money. :roll:

0 sounds
    1 post

mine does the same thing and i tried clicking it and opening it in another window and then saving it but that doesn't even work. how do i change the settings?

0 sounds
    4 posts

Hello!

I'm looking for a loud high pitch violin screech. As if someone just stopped playing with an abrupt and angry screech. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

grin

xoxoxoxo

527 sounds
    651 posts

The bell is definitely from the typewriter.As in

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=23169

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=70803

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=34540

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47045

18 sounds
    456 posts

You can try checking out Kevin MacLeod's music at incompetech.com, he might have something.

18 sounds
    456 posts

Yes, while the game itself is a commercial project, it is not an advertisement for another product. Commercial use (like a game for sale or a music cd or a movie) is ok, but advertisements (like for cars or food or televisions) is not ok.

(unless the advertisement is for the product using the sample, like you use the sound in a game, then advertise for the game, you can use the samples in the ad)

0 sounds
    3 posts

Thanks smile I already thought about coins and baking trays. Could somebody provide the sound for this please cause I've no facility in place at the moment for me to record my own wootops: