Forums

55 sounds
    127 posts

Except for an experiment on my dog barking, these are the very first sounds I have recorded - and yes, they were done with the Zoom H4n (a wonderful piece of kit).

Took the H4n out for a walk today to see what else I could record but there was too much wind and I should have brought some headphones along to monitor. I'll need a 'dead cat' if I am to record outside but may invest in a Rode Blimp next pay for my M3 microphone (assuming it fits)

Cheers

David

0 sounds
    14 posts

ok david.... that was above and beyond really. some of those sounds will be absolutely perfect. let me know if there is anything you ever need. i have a fairly extensice fx collection. i hope that others will also be able to make good use of your recordings once they are on freesound. you must have used a zoom h4n or the like. i have one and recognize the file labeling that it spits out "ste-000.wav" etc.....
    thanks again for taking the trouble david.

best,
    jeff

55 sounds
    127 posts

OK, I have uploaded them to the FreeSound FTP but also to my own web page so you can grab them sooner than they may become available from FreeSound.

http://www.david-higgins.com/sound/

000 is the On/Off Play switch
    001 is the Flapping tape
    004 is the Hand winding of the reel
    005 is the tape playing through the machine (Mike inputs turned way up just to hear anything)

I have 2 other versions of 001 since I had trouble making the tape flap for a full minute. An 002 is the reel slowed by friction on my hand and 003 is a clean cut end to the tape (as opposed to one that has obviously been well worn from years of 'flapping') They all sound quite different. I will upload these last 2 soon.

The Reel to Reel machine I recorded was:
    http://www.david-higgins.com/sound/ReelToReel.JPG

Cheers

David

37 sounds
    7 posts

Check out this question/answer: http://socialsounddesign.com/questions/122/a-good-value-sound-library-search-engine-for-the-mac it might be useful for you.

Hope this helps

0 sounds
    1 post

This is an old thread, and I guess I'm hoping that theres some new ideas on this... The sound ideas engine lacks some features that I'm looking for, so I uninstalled it.

I'm looking for a program (preferrably free or inexpensive) that will name and tag samples. Another really helpful (almost crucial) feature would be to play the samples that are in a list.

Basically a home version of thefreesoundproject... This is a great site, and I am hoping to find something similar for use on my library.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

0 sounds
    14 posts

hi david, thanks so much for your response. i'm glad someone still has their reel-to-reel. the sounds i'm looking for are;

1) the button sound that turns the tape transport on. they were usually this huge hand-held turn switch.
    2) just the sound of the tape running through the transport mechanism - say about 1 min or so.
    3) the hand-winding of the tape onto the take-up spool - a few good turns.
    4) the flap flap flap flap of the tape once the take-up reel is full and the tape just goes loosely round and round - a min or so.

i am working at 48K 16bit wav or aiff.

this is really VERY nice of you. is there anything that you are in need of? would be glad to return the favour if i am able. either way, thanks for your contact over this.

jeff

55 sounds
    127 posts

Are you still in need of these effects? As chance would have it I am hanging on to an old reel to reel machine for the inlaws. How long a clip and what format are you after?

Cheers

David

55 sounds
    127 posts

Thanks Ben,

Since the foam wind shields all mic manufacturers supply are so ineffective in the wind it make you wonder, especially for high end brands like Rode that they don't supply a 'dead cat' or 'dead wombat' as standard!

Cheers

David

380 sounds
    38 posts

Hi.
    I am trying to make the prototype of a video I'm atempting to create.
    Is there anyone on freesound that is, or has been, in the military?
    I need something along the lines of frantic comunications that suggest that a city or town is under attack and actions must be taken that moment.
    I have searched everywhere, and I just can't seem to find it!
    Thanks,
    Omar Alvarado

1179 sounds
    284 posts

No, that is legal.

527 sounds
    651 posts

Hi

For the Pop screen I figure just a couple of layers of stretch hose over a frame of some sort

Yes, works well on a splatter guard like this

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b5BTESKGL._SS500_.jpg

A pop shield also keeps your talent a decent distance from the mic. The M3 is a condenser rather than a dynamic so distance is essential. If the pop screen is insufficient you could also angle the mic so that it is not directly in front of the talent, but off to one side or above or below. If all this fails, resort to covering the mic with a cotton finely woven sports sock. Avoid synthetics or even wool because of the possibility of a static charge.

This should be enough for recording dialogue indoors.

For outdoor recording you will need a fake fur windshield, preferably a blimp because even a slight breeze will be picked up by a cardioid like the M3.

http://www.rodemic.com/accessory.php?product=Blimp

Hope this helps

Ben

55 sounds
    127 posts

OK, no advice or recommendations - went out and purchased a Zoom H4n plus a Rode M3 microphone - hopefully these will suit my purpose. Anyway, I think I need a pop screen for the dialogue I want to record and a more effective wind shield (maybe one of those fake fur ones). Can anyone point me to some How To's...

For the Pop screen I figure just a couple of layers of stretch hose over a frame of some sort. Not so sure about the wind shield though.

Cheers

David

2061 sounds
    1858 posts

JustinMacleod
    But what do they have to do with the recording of sound?

Try clicking on the Youtube link I posted.

Alternatively look here.

0 sounds
    24 posts

Hi! Any tips on how to safely record a thunder storm when you have boom poles and cables etc all over the place? Also how to protect a mic from the rain while still getting good clear outside sound?

On a related note, how can one protect a mic from humidity? i thought about taking my setup to a tropical garden centre and I also wish to record swimming pool and bathroom environments.

Thanks a lot!

0 sounds
    24 posts

Hi! My godson has a number of those wind-up mechanical toys that play tinkly tunes. I think they sound pretty and the bell tones are also ripe for interesting manipulations. If they are playing a tune in the public domain, e.g. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, would it be illegal to record that musical box and include the sound effect as part of an FX library?

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi! i need a woman whispering words "wide open" pleeeease help :/

0 sounds
    24 posts

strangely_gnarled
    Not sure what you are trying to do but if you want to make a loop that plays continuously without hearing the "join" try this:-

1. Load file into Audacity.
    2. Use mouse to "select" portion of sound you think will do the job.
    3. Hold shift key while you press play. The selected bit will play continuously.
    4. Use mouse to nudge the start and end of your selection until the loop sounds right (or the transition from end to the new start can't be heard).
    5. Stop play.
    6. Go to "File - Export selection as.." - then choose your file name.
    7. Job done.

Hope this helps.

This. I'd add that in your edit menue there should be an option to snap to zero-crossing. This is the point at which the wave form crosses the zero line. This means that, if the beginning and end points of your loop are on the zero line there should be no click. Lower frequency content is more difficult to loop because there are fewer zero-crossings. I think I read somewhere that the higher the sample rate of what you're trying to loop, the easier it will be to find zero-crossings.

Cross-fading can work too.

0 sounds
    24 posts

But what do they have to do with the recording of sound?

2061 sounds
    1858 posts

JustinMacleod
    what's a phototransistor?

Similar to a photoresistor, they are light sensitive electronic components ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8w2s05sd8

0 sounds
    24 posts

Probably is autotune or vocoder but which song do you mean? If it's stronger it's definitely a vocoder.