Forums

0 sounds
    2 posts

sounds GREAT! yah id love to if you could do me that favor that would be awesome\

thanks so much! people are too damn nice on this site. its awesome

sincerely,
    addam

44 sounds
    99 posts

Take a listen to this and let me know if this type of snare is something you are looking for. It's a recording done in the past with a fairly dry snare sound that you could use and add your own verb. If it is something you do want let me know and I'll bounce it separate from the mix.

http://www.ericfortin.com/snare_example.mp3

338 sounds
    41 posts

Hi all dear colleagues tongue

I'm currently working to soundesign and score an original performance that will take place next summer in Italy
    It's called 'Ambienta', an ambitious project that mix togheter many different artistic languages..
    There is a scene that regards the devastations of the earth, above all crafts them and
    I would want to simulate the crashing of the land crust, then, a nuclear devastating explosion
    :idea:
    About the bomb, i tried this : http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47897
    was powerful enough but i need a sound closer to real bomb, or something that gives the idea.
    The earth breaking seems even more difficult to find!
    Please, point me to the right sounds, if you can ; )

Thanks in advance!

8 sounds
    7 posts

Hi,

Thank you for your answer! Kindly apreciatted, I listened to your recordings and definitely they sound good....

anyone else experimenting with other piezo mics - pick-ups - piezo-film - hydrophones etcetera....?

44 sounds
    99 posts

thanks for the info bram. I never thought of using sounds for commercials or promotional uses, I guess it makes sense though. Thanks.

- Eric

121 sounds
    1544 posts

that is NOT correct ejfortin.

see: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/

"You may not use this work to advertise for or promote anything but the work you create from it."

jefft99, now that I read this clause again, I think you are right in supposing it doesn't even allow usage in not-for-profit commercials.
    as always: ask the original author's permission (no-one will say "no", but you can't assume)

- bram

4 sounds
    2 posts

Thanks for the discussion.

The song pieces are very clear and loud as I walk by each night club.
    One or two are recognizable as United states hit songs from the past. A couple
    others I'm not sure of their origin.

Once I get around to capturing it to a file I'll probably just post it to see what
    the mods think.

44 sounds
    99 posts

What makes you think that sounds can not be used for commercials??? Yes it would be mighty difficult to add in the credit at the bottom of the screen but by my understanding you should be able to use this in a commercial.

44 sounds
    99 posts

Try freeverb. It's a free vst reverb. Works pretty good if you are looking for something that is free and an alternative to ambience.

0 sounds
    5 posts

Sorry, must mind my manners and use paras. See!

I am trying to upload the file with a little difficulty, when I do, I should post the url.

I don't know what the forum policy is, if I cannot upload here, can I use another site say megaupload.com?

Thanks allya

deinbofa

0 sounds
    1 post

I read on the site that sounds cannot be used for commercials. Therefore, my question becomes, is a (non-profit) Public Service Announcement, that does NOT sell anything but a message for social good, be considered a commercial? If it is not considered a commercial, then can I follow the standard clauses and protocols on this site without having to contact each sound creator?

Do let me know your thoughts?

Jeff

67 sounds
    32 posts

Bram
    increase the quality knob then it becomes less metallic smile
    Always at 100%. The metallic aspect of the sound can be cut off by lowering frequencies, but that also screws everything. I will bring my computer with my microphone into a tunnel and will record there, so I get a real verb. smile

121 sounds
    1544 posts

increase the quality knob then it becomes less metallic smile

- bram

121 sounds
    1544 posts

It depends. If the piece of music is clearly recognizable from the part, I tend to disallow...

I just did not pass a file from another uploader which had a radio playing in the background.

As a final thing: we moderate files but we can not claim perfection. What I mean is: I'm quite sure there are a few copyrighted works on freesound that we missed.
    Moderation isn't that much to protect freesound (in case of a breach of copyright and notification we will take down all material that breaches!), but rather to protect the uploader.

There are quite a few kids out there that don't really understand copyright: for young kids copyright is something completely abstract.
    I hear it on the radio, I can record it, I can download it from soneone's blog, but.... one of those actions is illegal???

In case of doubt, I would say no.

We don't ban people on freesound (except spammers grin) so you could go ahead, upload it and see what happens wink

- bram

67 sounds
    32 posts

What I dislike about the Ambience, more precisely, is the metallic sound it produces.

67 sounds
    32 posts

Thank you, Adam, for your reply.

adamstrange
    Sounds abit like an old spring reverb.
    What is a spring reverb?

adamstrange
    Don't forget,its not just the "REVERB" but also they may have EQ'ed it and of course your listening to the final mastered loop so that has a lot to do with it.
    I've tried pitch-shifting, EQ-ing, processing, both the reverb only and the whole sound... nothing. Mastering, hmm. I just don't feel that such a verb can be achieved by mastering.

adamstrange
    Also the loop is not drenched in reverb so keeping it real short helps to make it sound more natural.
    What do you mean keeping it real short? Short reverb (decay time)? Also, the loop is not drenched, but the reverb is quite rich and quite expressive. It's like drenched in reverb, but somehow the reverb is at the background.

adamstrange
    Check out the freeware reverb plugin Ambience...
    I must be splay or something - everyone recommends me the Ambience plugin and I cannot get anything but shit from it. It just sounds awfully, no matter what parameters I put in. And there is not one preset that sounds good for drums. I'm definitely going to give it yet another try.

228 sounds
    129 posts

this is a tricky one no?

i'd go out on a limb here - I'd say that if your recording was a fair use then how can they sue - i.e it must be obviously be "passing" sound ... how prominent - is it muffled? However freesound project might have to be a bit more careful than the following example.

imagine you made a documentary about night club bouncers - you interviewed them out side a club - and music spilled into the interviews - there's no way justin timberlake could ask for royalties - however if you started to use parts of that recording as music then trouble begins..

So if you recorded a pretty clean output of a speaker and was just that one song then you have crossed a line..

I reckon put it up - the moderators will decide - ( they turned one of my recordings down - but they still let me hang out here....)

121 sounds
    1544 posts

hehehe, neat post smile

more people should do this!

- bram

121 sounds
    1544 posts

not related, but I think the greatest sound ever used in any movie is the sound of the huge machine-guns in aliens (the 2nd movie in the series).

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2468/vasquez2.wav [warning: crappy, lofi, and illegal wave file. do not download listen or play, buy movie at amazon or something.]

wink

Actually there are so many auditory scenes in Aliens2 that it's my all-time favorite auditory-experience scifi movie.

- bram

121 sounds
    1544 posts

musipedia has a good point though.

On OSX try in terminal: traceroute sitename
    On Windows try in cmd.exe: tracert sitename

- bram