Forums

0 sounds
    20 posts

I need some Old West Saloon Piano Music. It doesn't have to be an actual recognizable song, just the feeling of the music. Think "ragtime". If you want to be REALLY awesome, play/find it in a key that makes it sound spooky. This will be used in a Non-Profit haunted house in October.

Thanks!

18 sounds
    456 posts

When you right-click the image, there should be an option like 'Save Target As'. This may have a different name, depending on what browser you use. If you choose 'Save As', you will download the image, that's not the option you want.
    Apparently, there's an issue in Internet Explorer which can disable the option. Which is stupid. And yet another reason why you should stay far away from Internet Explorer.
    In case you still can't download, can you list here every option you see in the popped up menu when you right-click the download link?

0 sounds
    3 posts

This works for me-

-Right click on DOWLOAD (for mac users like myself, plug in a mouse and right click)
    -Click download linked file as

and your done!

0 sounds
    3 posts

I am unable to download I ma right clicking and the only option i have is to to download the image??? Any suggestions?

0 sounds
    3 posts

I am having the same trouble, I am unable to download anything! Very fustrating. When I right click my only options are to download the image. When I left clik another page opens where the sound plays but there are no other links to download it. :?

0 sounds
    1 post

I need a noise to deter a dog that humans can't hear. If you could send me a link or point in the right direction....that'd be well...swell.

0 sounds
    1 post

I began this thread to discuss public available web proxies:

Which are really anonymous?

Which can unblock facebook, myspace etc, in other words: are fresh ?

Which can you recommend?

Thanks for your help,
    Dschibut

P.S.: In my land, the freedom of speech is somehow limited, please give me a hint, if you are not sure about your recommendation.

18 sounds
    456 posts

I don't know this machine, but I'd say an outward position could be useful for recording a conversation between two people. One mic pointing to one speaker, the other at the other. Then in post-production, these two should be mixed to a mono track, alternating between the two mics depending on who speaks.

0 sounds
    1 post

My two cents:
    Logo 4 is the best, because it's modern (Web 2.0-style) as well as simple. Logo 1 is good too, but has an overkill on the gradients, logo 6 is also very good, but I don't like how the word "Freesound" is designed in that one. In my opinion the icon of logo 6 with the text of logo 4 would be perfect.

The other ones: logo 2 just doesn't feel right for Freesound at all, it reminds me of a bottled water brand; logo 3 is just not "Web 2.0" enough, logo 5 looks good, but the use of an equaliser to represent "sound" just feels too retro.

1483 sounds
    109 posts

I think, that easiest way is to find similar synthesizer sound, play it for some seconds, record it in audio and then cut in slices. Choose one slice ands correct it with volume envelope to have right attack and release. Firts 20 miliseconds you can treat with pitch shifter from lows to right tone. You may add needed reverb or sth, and copy this slice of course smile

121 sounds
    44 posts

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g43momtm14z/alarm_example.mp3

I love this alarm sample and I want to recreate it, but I don't know exactly how I should start. Should I mess around with a synthesizer or gather other alarms and combine them?

Thanks in advance! grin

29 sounds
    37 posts

Right. About the only thing the pointing outward position is occasionally useful for, in my experience, is very close stereo miking where the capsule separation relative to the source distance is significant. But that's almost never going to be the situation with ambiance recordings of an environment.

The D50 is a terrific recorder (I own two), but the movable capsules is basically just a gimmick. Recording other stereo arrangements properly really requires using external mikes. But XY is fine for most purposes, especially atmospheric ambiance. And for what it's worth, Sony's top of the line handheld recorder, the D1, just has the capsules fixed in XY, since that's what almost anyone who uses such a recorder wants.

21 sounds
    52 posts

Bram
    the preview will of course be only two channels

downmixed to two channels?

0 sounds
    4 posts

thanks so much for your help Mab, so even if I am recording general atmospherics eg a station forecourt I should still be XY?

Keith

29 sounds
    37 posts

XY is the most generally useful; the two mikes are coincident (at roughly the same distance from the source), so you get a good stereo image (based on amplitude difference) without phase differences that can degrade mixdown to mono or playback through badly placed speakers.

The two mikes straight ahead position is useful mainly for making mono recordings of a source that you can point at. (The D50 has no ability to record to one channel, but you can just throw out the other channel later.).

The third position, with the mikes pointed outward, isn't really that useful. It's similar to XY, but without the advantage of being coincident, so you have the potential for phase cancellation problems. But the capsules aren't far enough apart that the phase difference adds much to the stereo image. There are stereo miking techniques, such as ORTF and various binural arrangements, that use separated mikes in a way that the L-R phase difference adds significantly to the image, but they require more separation than the D50 can do. But with this position on the D50 you have all the phasing complexities of non-coincident stereo, without any real advantage over XY.

So do as you've been doing: use XY unless you have a good reason not to.

36 sounds
    64 posts

I've updated the interface, player and editor are now tabs in a single panel. You can now edit any patch the radio is playing and save it as yours. The official url is now http://radio.freesound.org

gerard

121 sounds
    1545 posts

hey guys,

a quick reply to say that using the feedback posted here, both the design and the logo are being reworked.

the logo will become (much) simpler, just a squiggle and the word "freesound".

the page design will have less colors, and look more like a "clean slate" than what it looks like now.

Myles and Dmitry are working on that right now, we'll get back to you with more in a bit.

By the way, if anyone feels like trying your hand at a logo design, go ahead! (black and white only, please)

- Bram

121 sounds
    1545 posts

freesound supports N-channel wave files.

the preview will of course be only two channels, but those with surround sound gear can download the originals and listen to those.

- Bram

121 sounds
    1545 posts

Sadly enough the recording went bad sad The guys doing the audio had set up only directional mikes, and -although I had hoped they would still give enough ambience- the overall recording sounded like "a few people making sounds and a LOT of background noise". Additionally 300 Spanish people seem to be able to produce more noise than 4000 Belgians, a fact which does not completely surprise me.

I think the very open space also spread the energy from the sounds too much.

After the freesound session there were a concert and then fireworks and those recorded much better. I'll be uploading the fireworks.

I'm quite sad that the recording didn't go that well, I had hoped for better.

- Bram

412 sounds
    40 posts

ah well 1's nice too!