Forums

44 sounds
    22 posts

Ok, I got you guys's sounds and ran them through my reverb machine, and I'm rigging up the code to use them now -- might still be a day or two... or three, probably not more than a week though, surely by the end of this weekend I'll be done, but sooner than that, I expect.

How do you guys want to be credited?

Alphahog, Mike Vendetti?

qubodup? Something else?

In any case, of course I'll link to the relevant freesound things.

BTW, qubodup, your recordings I think will work out especially well, with possible exception of some of the "falling scream sounds." I am guessing you tried to simulate the approaching sound by raising the volume of your voice...? When I did mine, I did have to try it a few times -- but I didn't do the volume with my voice, I did it by physically running at the microphone while screaming (and my footsteps are even audible if you listen closely, though I tried to run quietly, heh) -- then accentuated this volume change with audio editing a bit. Well a convincing scream is not so easy -- hence all the Wilhelm screams you run across, I suppose. (searching youtube for "wilhelm scream" is interesting).

But, your "Jesus Christ!" etc. are perfect for what I'm doing.

0 sounds
    2 posts

I put together an electronic song incorporating 2 Freesound samples.

Check it out
    http://www.indabamusic.com/people/289317442

Anton: fast_8bar_key-d1.wav
    djgriffin: tibetan chant 4 colargol 2.aif

0 sounds
    2 posts

I like it also.

102 sounds
    25 posts

^^^ Looks like an interesting program.

433 sounds
    228 posts

You need the tool Coagula, it allows you to load a picture and it converts it to a wav file.

The file below was created in that tool:
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=31921

1 sound
    4 posts

I can say only one thing;

this is impossible...

microphones are stupid, and do hear a lot more then your ears. They really hear everithing.

There is not such thing as a microphone that only "hears" what it sees". So you will ALWAYS have noise.

The only solution is to record all things seperately and even in other locations. Don't look only in your neighborhood but further.

Also, you have to know what you want as a result. If you hear in a movie sound of birds, dogs, wind, playing children, all these things are recorded separately. Also recording behind walls is very interesting in your case, to have the effect of "sound behind the walls"

0 sounds
    24 posts

I hear the sound was good in aliens. I always watch it when it comes on tv. I haven't experienced it on my home theater yet.

I always thought that machine gun sounded a little synthetic. I like organic sounds better. Synth sounds always seem to fit better with music to me.

My favorte sound would have to be the sound of metal bending or goaning. I sounds so mysterious

163 sounds
    71 posts

Hi there,

I'd like the following paragraphs read in a booming, pompous sort of voice. The more voices, the better. Male and female voice, any accent welcome.

(This is for a goofy panel game, in which players have to figure out if the quote is from the bible or completely made up. The game, me, and the players are all completely NON-religious, so this should be a hoot.)

START TEXT
    ----

And The Lord God spoke. "Act against your enemies! But strayeth not into torment. Inflict pain, surely, but do not cause the ceasing of the functions of the innards. Threaten, but not for so long your captive is driven mad. Withold food, but leave enough fat on their bones. These things will please me."

--

Then the priest shall order that one of the birds be killed over fresh water in a clay pot. He is then to take the live bird and dip it, together with the cedar wood, the scarlet yarn and the hyssop, into the blood of the bird that was killed over the fresh water. Seven times he shall sprinkle the one to be cleansed of the infectious disease and pronounce him clean. Then he is to release the live bird in the open fields.

--

The angel sailed on, the uproar increasing. The men grew white with fear. The salt waters whirled and they looked into a deep watery pit and saw the blue sand. The rocks were hidden by a thick mist. Suddenly Michael thrust forth a mighty hand and snatched six of the brave men, as a fisherman pulls out fish with a hook. Their hands outstretched as they were lifted into the air, and they cried for help.

--

When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the Lord thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.

----
    END TEXT

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thanks much.

-Sage

101 sounds
    99 posts

Firstly i would recommend that you quit the adderall, chill out, and don't be afraid of imperfection. Secondly that beat is made from a sample that was chopped up and re sequenced/processed. Old school crate diggin (sample selection) might be more important than reverb emulation. I personally just use a pinch of whatever is handy. But when you sample somethin... especially old esoteric vinyl... realize that there was some dude (dudes) at different stages of the original production obsessing over the sound..chain smoking.. applying eq... drinking satanic coffee... running it through tube compression... laboring for days or months to pan everything perfect and stuff... and respect that.. if u want to sound ol school with the hip hop... u gotta sample... use as little reverb as you can stand... and don't limit yourself.. thats ma 2 cents...

8 sounds
    7 posts

wow!

that looks pretty interesting...

_Notification of Finalists
    Tues 25 March 2008
    _2008 Presentation Night
    Fri 30 May 2008

therefore, if they are waiting for thaat, maybe at least three months more until they release it... arhghggh...

I think (hope too) it will work for the NT4, its one of their bestsellers and probably it will have an affordable price according to Rode line of products...

thank you very much for this valuable information.... now I have a problem of patience in case of waiting for this.... grin

433 sounds
    228 posts

I might be able to create some clattering noises. I'll see what I can do.

14 sounds
    11 posts

I'm waiting for that: http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=3&applicationID=3521

Seems they want a design award, before they are going to sell it.
    I hope it works for the NT4. No idea on the price.

-afaict

1118 sounds
    397 posts

hey hello_flowers, do you know about the copyright statuses of all this (or at least parts of it?...)

44 sounds
    99 posts

I have experience in creating Impulse Responses for different reverb units. The two best ways to go about this is 1. Record a loudspeaker playing back a single sample fully normalized. You then record the room as it plays back the single sample. You then have the impulse response. I have also seen people use a starter pistol instead of a loudspeaker playing back a loud single click. 2. The second way of recording a good IR is to play a sine wave frequency sweep through a good studio monitor with a flat frequency response. This method works good if you use audioease's impulse response pre processor which takes out the frequency sweep from the sample and leaves you with only the IR. Most of the IR's I have recorded are not directly owned by me so I can't give you those, but I may be able to find some others that I have done that can be used.

- Eric

8 sounds
    7 posts

Hi,

I´m buying a Rode NT4 in a couple of weeks and also considering some accessories. Just wanted to get advice from some of you according to your experience.

Since I am going to record in a variety of outdoor conditions, I definitely need kind of a complete kit including elastic shock mount, a blimp and a windjammer... also a pistol grip and a light boom-pole; a mic stand or small tripod probably too.

Obviously Rycote systems are a standard to take into account, but my budget is limited, so I´m trying to find alternatives.

I was thinking on the 'official' kit : Rode SM4 shockmount and the Deadkitten (are you using this directly over the mic without a blimp? good results?) but there is the lack of a pistol grip and I think I´d rather prefer in some particular situations to handheld the mic instead of even carrying a short pole . I couldn´t find a spare pistol grip attachable to the Rode SM4...

I´m considering also this affordable alternative to the standard blimp/windjammer rigs mentioned before:

http://www.mediateletipos.net/archives/7390

included in that kit : universal shockmount+pistolgrip+blimp+fur cover+pole adapter, so over the print it seems a good deal... any experience with it?

regarding the boom-poles, I cannot find in the stores anymore the models made by Rode, it seems that are discontinued. So I need any alternative... in that shop previously mentioned (I don´t like to make publicity but its the only way to link to the stuff) they also have a boom pole system that seems to be ok...

and the mic-stand, pretty straighforward, but since I´m posing this bunch of questions, maybe you have any favorite ones... I was considering the Ultimate mc-41. Here lightweight and portability are an issue for some eventual outdoor uses, though I will get also the Rode Tripod to use it in the majority of these situations out of the studio.

so, any ideas, thoughts, comments will be kindly appreciated... thank U!

0 sounds
    2 posts

sounds GREAT! yah id love to if you could do me that favor that would be awesome\

thanks so much! people are too damn nice on this site. its awesome

sincerely,
    addam

44 sounds
    99 posts

Take a listen to this and let me know if this type of snare is something you are looking for. It's a recording done in the past with a fairly dry snare sound that you could use and add your own verb. If it is something you do want let me know and I'll bounce it separate from the mix.

http://www.ericfortin.com/snare_example.mp3

338 sounds
    41 posts

Hi all dear colleagues tongue

I'm currently working to soundesign and score an original performance that will take place next summer in Italy
    It's called 'Ambienta', an ambitious project that mix togheter many different artistic languages..
    There is a scene that regards the devastations of the earth, above all crafts them and
    I would want to simulate the crashing of the land crust, then, a nuclear devastating explosion
    :idea:
    About the bomb, i tried this : http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47897
    was powerful enough but i need a sound closer to real bomb, or something that gives the idea.
    The earth breaking seems even more difficult to find!
    Please, point me to the right sounds, if you can ; )

Thanks in advance!

8 sounds
    7 posts

Hi,

Thank you for your answer! Kindly apreciatted, I listened to your recordings and definitely they sound good....

anyone else experimenting with other piezo mics - pick-ups - piezo-film - hydrophones etcetera....?

44 sounds
    99 posts

thanks for the info bram. I never thought of using sounds for commercials or promotional uses, I guess it makes sense though. Thanks.

- Eric