Forums

18 sounds
    455 posts

There seems to be a bug in Firefox dealing with downloading files through a script. Instead of the file, it delivers the script. If you don't have the newest version of Firefox, you could try upgrading, otherwise I would suggest trying a different browser, such as Chrome or Opera.

527 sounds
    651 posts

Thank you Corsica_s, excellent and inspiring review.

like swinging a cheese grater around on a rope to make a new "whoosh"

Whisk

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=91385

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi all,

is there a way of revising my rating for a sample?

Thanks!
    Thomas W.

0 sounds
    1 post

Freesound users have a great wealth of excellent samples of many kinds at their fingertips.
    Have you considered making them into a mapped instrument that can be played inside a sequencer?
    There is now a piece of freeware available that is both PC and Mac compatible which can do this.
    It is iRompler.
    iRompler is also an online distribution portal by which you can make and distribute your instruments online via a secure server, a sort of iTunes for samples, if you will. The instruments themselves are copy protected once uploaded as a monolith and therefore cannot be misused. Instruments that are free to download incur no charges for distribution, perfect for this community.

The iRompler Mapper is available from www.irompler.com.
    It also imports and exports .sfz format files. Have a mess around with it.
    The Store and iRompler Player will be ready very soon.
    Enjoy!

0 sounds
    6 posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpeOIr1QFAk

ma page:
    www.youtube.com/user/djamil13798

0 sounds
    6 posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpeOIr1QFAk

ma page:
    www.youtube.com/user/djamil13798

0 sounds
    11 posts

bodunchar
    Hey people

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to the creation of this website.

I would also like to say it is one of the most awesome websites I have seen in my time!

I also hope that this post is welcome in this topic, as I don't know where else to put it.

I agree with you , I looked and looked for a site like this and gave up and then ran across a link to it and then eureka there it was.
    grin

0 sounds
    1 post

new user here
    when right click and downloading the sound files they all only show up as 19 KB wav files on my harddrive.
    I am using firefox.
    How can I get the complete download?
    thanks

13 sounds
    365 posts

Hi HB1978.

I'm afraid you can only download files in the same format they were uploaded.

There are lots of free programs that can convert say, flac files to wav files. Audacity is the editing program I use and would recommend. Open the flac file in Audacity, then "Export" it as a wav.

(Search for Audacity at Sourceforge for free download)

1947 sounds
    2120 posts

Hi baefild,

I suspect what you probably could do with is a DAW of some kind which supports VST plugins. Most DAWs also come with their own built in effects.

I can only talk about the ones I know, but really any DAW should work in more or less the same way.
    Reaper is free for a limited period, then you pay £30 for a full license, but I am not sure if it is also available for Mac.
    Ableton Live is a paid for software and is quite expensive, but the demo version (save disabled) might serve your purpose, if all you are looking for is a "multi effects box".
    Look them up on the internet and download them.

Provided you got all the right drivers for your sound card, you can then assign audio input and output to individual channels.
    Both Reaper and Live allow you to add effects to the signal chain between input and output and also to use send effects. More complex signal chains, for example submixing various channels into one, splitting one input to various outputs and even signal chains with feedback loops (be carefull!!!) can be setup.

Both Reaper and Live have built in effects (EQa, filters, cmpressors, echo, reverb, etc), and both will take VST, AU lpugins. Reaper also takes DX plugins. But the only ones I have experience with are VST plugs. These are also available in larger numbers and tend to be more stable.
    For more VST plugins than you could ever need (many of them free!) visit:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/

Just as an example of a setup that you could create with Ableton Live or Reaper would be:
    Bass player into input 1 -> through VST effects for EQ, bass amp + speaker simulator -> out 1 to amp and speakers (or to mixing desk)
    guitar player into input 2 -> through VST effects for EQ, chorus, amp + speaker simulator -> out 2 to amp and speakers (or to mixing desk)
    vocalist into input 3 -> VST effects for EQ and reverb -> out 3 to amp + sepakers (or to mixing desk)

If you can plug in a midi keyboard (or even using the computer keyboard) you can play smoe synth riffs on a VST synth maybe through some VST effects -> out 4 to amp + speakers (or to mixing desk)

If you don't have a drummer you could play rhythmic loops from either DAW, or use VST "drum machines" -> out 5 to amp + speakers (or to mixing desk)

If you have the full version of either DAW, you can, of course record your performances for later processing / mastering, etc.
    The REaper Demo will eventually stop allowing you to record and the Ableton Live demo is save disabled - but they can still be used to add effects and processing to your instruments or vocals.
    Of course, exactly how many effects yu can run in realtime accross several channels will depend on your computing power. Also try several different effects, some are heavier on CPU than others.

Hope this helps

0 sounds
    1 post

Can I download the wave file? The download link I tried to download was a .flac file.

1647 sounds
    110 posts

Thanks for reviewsmile Very useable!

0 sounds
    7 posts

"metal atmosphere 4" from DJ Chronos. i really really need one custom made for me that has a clean long lasting 4/4 beats that lasts as long as the original one you made. in return i will reward you for the results i would be making out of this. please email me a done product of this sample to noizenilsi@hotmail.com or let us discuss how to do this otherwise if you are interested.

i hope for a positive response.

Nils iver

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=76926

my intentions are to finish my third and final silent hill tribute called Silent Hail 3.
    it rocks already but i would work harder for better quality, hence my humble request here folks.

225 sounds
    12 posts

Thank you Corsica, an excellent and helpful review.

55 sounds
    127 posts

OK,

I'm into pre production on my own animated short and need to record a short amount of dialogue and soudn effects. I want the sound to be of reasonable quality. I have an iTouch with voice/sound recording applications on it, a Digital camcorder with built in or an external mic (relatively cheap mic) or a laptop with external mic. Are either of these practical or should I be sourcing other digital recording gear (I'll be combining the sound digitally either in Audacity, Blender or something like After Affects).

I'm not going to do a great deal of recording and this may be a one off project so I do not want to spend a fortune. (I was looking at a Tascom DR07 or equivalent)

Cheers

David

0 sounds
    16 posts

I loved it! Very creepy, very cool. I liked the look as well as the sounds.

0 sounds
    3 posts

Interesting update - I've just heard it used on Lost! VERY short clip, but I think it's definitely the waterphone (from the sounds of that YouTube video linked above...)

Listen here: http://files.droplr.com/files/3666711/wvsbD.Waterphone.mp3

So now that we've narrowed it down to the instrument - has anyone else heard the famous waterphone sample that's been used almost as ubiquitously as the Wilhelm Scream??! I can think of one place it's used - in Wayne's World 2 when the weird naked Indian shows up!! grin

3227 sounds
    317 posts

I have recently borrowed and read "The Sound Effects Bible" by Ric Viers as I wanted to increase my knowledge as a recordist as well as just get some ideas about what might be interesting to record. The book is written in quite an easy-to-understand way and the tone is fairly informal. There isn't much technical information to confuse or bog down the subject matter and even at 300 pages or so it is easy and quick to read.
    The first few chapters introduce various "basics", such as how sound works, types of sounds, types of microphones, recorders, headphones, basic (and complex) recording set-ups, accessories, computers and software. There are a couple chapters where Viers lays out some suggested rules to record by which are, again, basic and common sense, but important to remember, such as slating your sound so you know what it is later, ideas for naming and organizing files, as well as little things like putting your keys in the fridge when you unplug it (to make a quiet recording environment) so that you remember to plug it back in.
    Throughout the book in fact, I found those "only with experience" tidbits to be the most interesting part. Quite a bit of sound design is experimenting, so Viers is often quite general about creating a sound, for example, he makes suggestions like pitch down a sound and boost the low eq and layer more sounds, but because each situation is different it lacks specific advice much of the time. However there are lots of general ideas that definitely help sparked my mind thinking about recording.
    There is a section about building a foley studio in a basement or garage, I found this section interesting despite the fact that I live in a place with neither, but the construction of some 4 by 4 sections he describes might be possible for me, and any one else who lives in a small apartment.
    One of the main ideas that Viers reminds the reader of constantly is not to think with your eyes but with your ears. This sounds simple enough, but if you are designing a sound of something no one has ever heard before (monster, alien, etc.) it doesn't matter what the thing making a sound looks like, just that it sounds right. He also encourages experimenting with changing pitch and reverb and eq and layering. He goes through most or all of the situations you might find your self in for recording and gives tips for each of those, i.e. where to place mics to get various car sounds and how to mix them. Throughout these general ideas are the more interesting bits, like swinging a cheese grater around on a rope to make a new "whoosh". I wish there had been more bits like that!
    By the end of the book, Viers has covered the topic of recording and creating sound effects quite completely, if somewhat generally, as again, it can be difficult to provide specific advice based on the situation. He also includes lists of things you can record around your house, car, and other locations. My biggest complaint perhaps, aside from wishing there were more "only with experience" parts, was that sometimes I felt Viers was using the book as an advertisement for his sound effects company. Overall I would give this book 3.5 out of 5.
    If you wish to check it out, your library might have it, and there is a companion website http://www.soundeffectsbible.com/ (by the way, the "free sounds" section of the website is completely empty).

2065 sounds
    1859 posts

Timbre
    For the moving targets you could try modifying this,
    e.g. alter the equalisation (high pass), filp the channels to make the object fly the other way.

e.g. ... http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=91285

Timbre
    Speeding this up and applying a high pass filter produces a chirp clink sound.

e.g. ... http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=91284

0 sounds
    5 posts

Thanks Timbre!!

Those are good. I also found this one:

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=62903

One of them will do just fine.

Thanks again for the all the help!

Kind regards,
    -joshua