Forums

253 sounds
    86 posts

NoiseCollector
    I heard my dog bark sound on a radio commerical and confirmed it was mine and used without my permission, should I bother?
    I'm not sure if you're jesting, but if you are I suggest you take a listen to the sample and the song. The similarity is uncanny. My goal is not egotistical at all. I am seeking attribution and recognition for freesound.org as a wonderful resource for the very application that might have been employed by the artist in question. Plus, I want to make sure third party sample houses aren't lifting stuff from freesound.org and stripping the CC license.

4677 sounds
    376 posts

I heard my dog bark sound on a radio commerical and confirmed it was mine and used without my permission, should I bother?

121 sounds
    1552 posts

that looks like a good email
    I would try the legal department of the label as well.
    they are mostly easily scared into responding (even i scared is not what you are looking for)...

- bram

253 sounds
    86 posts

Bram
    hmm, interesting....

I'm not 100% convinced it's the same sound, but it very well *could* be.

A while I contacted a record label who had used our very infamous "printer" sound from freesound. They were very amazed by the fact that the original creator of the song hadn't mentioned it to them, and they appologized thoroughly, in the end donating 200 UKP to freesound!

Perhaps it's worth sending a note to the legal department of whatever label is releasing the album after you have investigated a bit more?

- bram

I've played with samples quite a bit before and I'm almost certain it is my sound (Time compressed to be a bit faster and EQ'd a bit). The only reason I say 99.9% instead of 100% is because I know I've been mistaken on things that I was 100% certain of before. smile

I've sent an email to the band's managers as listed in the liner notes of the album. I get the impression that I won't get any sort of response, but I'll give it a while. I tried not to sound accusatory, and basically just requested that the inquiry be passed along to whoever knew the source of the sample. Here is what I said:

To whom it may concern,

My first inquiry is: Are you the appropriate person for me to contact concerning to the matter detailed below? If not, do you know what channel would be the best to get a message to The Prodigy regarding the following?

I would like to get into contact with whoever chose to use my sample on "Omen" or at least have this inquiry forwarded to them for their feedback. This might possibly be Liam Howlett? It was brought to my attention that a sound I created was used on the "Omen" track. I purchased the album and gave it a listen, and I'm quite certain my sample is used in the track.

I would like to find out where the sample was obtained, because the only place I have ever posted it is at freesound.org where it was published under the Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license, which requires attribution for use (http://www.freesound.org/legal.php). There is no attribution to me or freesound.org anywhere in the liner notes of the album.

Here is my sample: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=1518 Which I am hearing at 0:16, 1:18, 1:32, 1:45, 1:52, 2:20, 2:40, 3:11, 3:18, and 3:25.

As I said, I am not at all upset about this. I'm somewhat honored, actually, as The Prodigy was big part of my youth (I remember tearing the streets up on my skateboard in a sleepy little midwest american town, listening to the "fat of the land" album on my walkman). I am more concerned about third party sample retailers/distributors lifting samples from freesound.org and stripping the Creative Commons license. I am not even seeking retroactive attribution (Although I certainly wouldn't have any problem with that), nor am seeking any of the band members' contact information. I am only requesting that this be brought to the attention of the producer responsible for using the sample and to hear their response as to where the sample was obtained.

Thanks you so much for taking the time to listen.

Best Regards,

(all my contact info)

121 sounds
    1552 posts

hmm, interesting....

I'm not 100% convinced it's the same sound, but it very well *could* be.

A while I contacted a record label who had used our very infamous "printer" sound from freesound. They were very amazed by the fact that the original creator of the song hadn't mentioned it to them, and they appologized thoroughly, in the end donating 200 UKP to freesound!

Perhaps it's worth sending a note to the legal department of whatever label is releasing the album after you have investigated a bit more?

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

freesound 2 will have a full REST API for getting data from freesound to whatever app you feel like making - in whatever language.

- Bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

freesound 2 is fully GPL/open source.
    have a look at the blog where you will find the url for the repository among other things.

http://www.freesound.org/blog/

- bram

0 sounds
    1 post

It was very interesting reading an article from the perspective of a sound-nerd and how he goes about stuff. The part with the debate on whether he is a spy will remain with me foreversmile)

Basically I'm just starting to look around my options on a Linux box, I want to record podcasts but given nothing on the tech side really makes sense to me, Audacity and ALSA is turning out a bit of struggle. Even things like making my PC simply to record my voice louder is a barrier, why do I have to become an expert to achieve a simple task? I'm frustrated. So it was nice to read that the nerds in the field do run into trouble from time to time as well.

0 sounds
    1 post

I am currently working on an animation piece for my final project on the MA Communications Design program at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design in London (macommunicationdesign.com/) and I need help with the sound. It is going to be an abstract piece about the relations between the human body and reality, somewhere about 4-5 minutes and I'm envisioning an abstract soundscape of nature/human body/urban sounds to go with it. It will be a good exposure for the sound designer involved as the piece will get in our final year exhibition (possibly in the Design Museum London) and I will also enlist to animation/short film festivals/awards, giving you full credit. Please get in touch at info@zhivko.com if interested...

13 sounds
    12 posts

Thanks arytopia and barrigan the results of you samples can be found in the track 'Messages From A Secret Lover'

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=934052&content=music

98 sounds
    44 posts

don't switch to a pay site and you guys will be a success in the future unlike soundsnap.

I'm mentioning it cause i was skimming through and saw that it was mentioned.

Check out my form called timtubemaster productions videos under off topic.

458 sounds
    13 posts

thanks a lot for all replys.
    if the ls-10 don't have voice guide features my only option is the ds-71.

0 sounds
    3 posts

Would you (the admins) be willing to provide a schema for how your data is related within the database?

Cheers!

0 sounds
    3 posts

LOVE THIS PLACE!
    MANY MANY MANY USEFUL INTERESTING SAMPLES/LINKS/PEOPLE smile))
    KEEP THAT UP! YOU HELP TO PRODUCE MUSIC WITH EASE !

Hey guys & Girls!

Here is my upcoming release, this debut album contains 9 tracks, styled "HEAVY METAL GOA".. it has either morning happy Full On touch, combined with a real heavy metal

Please, take a listen and consider a review
    I hope - you will love these tracks. It comes from soul & heart.. for you, friends.

Crystalien

http://www.myspace.com/crystaliens

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Crystalien

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hey guys & Girls!

I am looking for all kind of GOOD guitar samples
    (NOT A SINGLE NOTES - RIFFS !!!)

Here is my upcoming release, this debut album contains 9 tracks, styled "HEAVY METAL GOA".. it has either morning happy Full On touch, combined with a real heavy metal (many of material for this album comes from FREESOUND PROJECT!)

Please, take a listen and consider a review
    I hope - you will love these tracks. It comes from soul & heart.. for you, friends.

www.myspace.com/crystaliens

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Crystalien

12 sounds
    4 posts

Hello to all Freesounders,

Here is a link to my first Audacity soundproject.
    http://ccmixter.org/files/Nummer39/19849

I know it is done a 1001 before (that's why I called it Edelkitsch) but still I had a lot of fun doing it. I used the following Freesound samples

WavesOnBeach.mp3 by acclivity (Freesound)
    Brook20Sec.wav by acclivity (Freesound)
    msfinmarken_Bergen.aif by milo (Freesound)
    CinematicBoomNorm.wav by HerbertBoland (Freesound)
    sea2.wav by rockdoctor (Freesound)
    BoatHornSam1.wav by nathanprtII (Freesound)
    mass in croatian cathedral.wav by Satoration (Freesound)

grin
    Nummer39

0 sounds
    3 posts

Mootcher was nice in conjunction with MAX/MSP, but really difficult and painful for .NET developers.

The possibilities are endless, as I'm sure you know. But, the way I feel is that if you dont get a platform that provides developers world wide with the power to implement and share your database, than your falling behind a very important social/creative community curve. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, it's just that I hold this website in the highest regaurd and only want to see great things come from it that will benefit every sound seeker, basement software developer, organization, and artist on the planet.

So, Is there going to be support for:

.NET framework
    java
    c++

at anypoint in the next 3 - 5 years?

Thank you.

15 sounds
    135 posts

Is it possible that they just ended up using a similar technique/synths to how you created your sound?

I can definitely hear the similarity/possibility it is your sound. It also sounds like they're using a keyboardish set up to produce it musically in different ways in the song. Does that mean its actually a fairly common technique? I don't know how you prove that exactly though as it is sorta different in execution. (but then that could just mean they tweaked it)

:?

That sucks if somewhere along the way whether it was Prodigy themselves or bought it from some other person who sold your sample as their own.

Maybe a real audiophile or lawyer knows better how to figure this out...

0 sounds
    3 posts

I listened to the video at the two times you mentioned, and then played your sample.

It's uncanny how much they sound alike. They are even the same pitch, but the one in the song is processed to make it sound fatter, if it is indeed your sample.

What I would suggest doing is that if you have the track "The Omen" on you computer, and an audio sequencer (Ableton Live, Cubase, etc.) bring both audio files into the program into two different tracks, then line up the two and look at the wave forms and compare. I would do it for you but I dont have the track and dont want to spend 99 cents on it on iTunes.

If indeed they match, notify the manager of the prodigy, their record label and artists themselves and bring this issue up.

And even though it might not matter to you that much, I think that under the CCL they are required by law to state that they used your sample by either saying that they used samples from freesound.org or you in particular, though I havnt read any of the specifics.

Its a really sweet sample.
    Good luck!

253 sounds
    86 posts

It has been brought to my attention that a sound of mine has possibly been used on a recent album by a group called "The Prodigy" on their album "Invaders Must Die" on the Track "Omen". I listened to the song and I am %99.9 sure is my sound. I purchased the album and there is no reference to me or freesound.org anywhere in the liner notes.

I'm not really too up-in-arms about this, as I am extremely liberal about this stuff (I always like to see creativity occur uninhibited and am very relaxed about how my stuff is used). However, I am concerned that my sound might have been lifted by a third party from freesound.org, and that that might possibly be how it was used The Prodigy without attribution. Does Bram or anyone know if anything like this has been found to have occurred in the past?

For the curious, here is the sample in question:

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=1518

And here is the "Omen" track from "The Prodigy":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVTKOoy1uk

the sample can be heard quite clearly around 0:22 and 1:10 and in a few other places.