Forums

121 sounds
    1552 posts

by the way, head over to the blog for some more screenshots.

http://www.freesound.org/blog/

- bram

0 sounds
    2 posts

I have an idea to do a concert with guitar and lap-top. The idea is that I'm going to sample and process the guitar melodies on the fly. An example of the sound I am trying to recreate is Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto cooperation of the album ”Insen”. I know Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto has been on tour with this album. And it appears to me that they sample the piano on the fly. My first question is: is it possible to do this or are all sound sampled in advance? If it is possible, how does Alva Noto manage to do it?

Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto - Moon

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh0AaTOfkIc

//baving

121 sounds
    1552 posts

kevinkace
    Is there a place where you have tasks that you are looking for help with?

I was recently laid off so I can't donate $$, but I am hand with the Photoshop, CSS and XHTML. A Little PHP too... not to mention audio tongue

We have 2 designers on board, so we're well covered on the photoshop/css/xhtml side of things. And with freesound 2 being 100% Python, not PHP..... weird

The best way to help (and that goes for everyone here) is to give support to people on the forums, and upload sounds. smile

Thanks a lot for the offer though!!

- Bram

4 sounds
    47 posts

Yeah that waterphone is cool. Look at this guy going to town making creepy sounds.

http://www.richardawaters.com/waterphone/movies/wpdemo1.html

0 sounds
    1 post

iam looking to make a free sound project mixtape i will be browsing sounds so you may be on it i will kepp evryone posted

0 sounds
    123 posts

Bram
    matthew Galtress
    Bram, I am grateful for that response but I don't know if that really answers some people's queries. Can you post a topic in the announcements forum updating us on freesound 2's progress?

If you really want to follow freesound development, start watching our github repository and freesound 2 ticketing.

http://github.com/bram/freesound/tree/master
    http://freesound.lighthouseapp.com/

Both of which have been mentioned in the last blog post. Please accept that information is by "push" and not "pull". I.e. if we feel like blogging something we will, but please don't force us to waste even more time explaining every single move we make!

matthew Galtress
    P.S2 you didn't answer my 'point of order' post on one of the many download topics. Since posting it, I see there is a section in the FAQ forum on this, but I am not sure weather it necesarily covers the issues flagged up in these posts and, if it does, Bram, why do you think so many people are posting posts about the same problem?

100% of these issues are browser issues. A combination of rightclick+save-as or just configuring your browser properly will solve these problems. Plenty of these questions are answered in the FAQ.

matthew Galtress
    I would be interested in your reply, Bram.

*sigh*... Pardon me for bluntness, Matthew, but it would REALLY be in your interest to demand less. On the forums you hardly ever supply relevant feedback or replies, nor have you any sounds up on freesound... The only thing you do is basically force me to answer your posts/questions.

- Bram, donning his flame retardant suit

Bram, I have no choice but to appologise. The voice of reason has spoken. I am grateful to you for drawing my attention to those 2 websites and will check them out. The fact that I haven't uploaded yet is deaply regretable. The problem is that my screen reader doesn't seem to like the FTP and I hence cannot use it. However, with HTTP uploads, as you have said will be in freesound 2, hopefully that might change. I shall watch this space! Keep us posted by whatever means!

Matt, rather appologetic sad

Good day!

527 sounds
    651 posts

A friend of mine has a Sony PCM-D50 and claims that the handling noise is as bad as the Zoom H2 (which he borrowed before purchasing the Sony) and that wind noise is significantly worse in the more expensive machine. However the on-board mics or / and the pre-amp are better in the Sony.

Hope this helps.

12 sounds
    10 posts

Is there a place where you have tasks that you are looking for help with?

I was recently laid off so I can't donate $$, but I am hand with the Photoshop, CSS and XHTML. A Little PHP too... not to mention audio tongue

128 sounds
    198 posts

Look, I love my Zoom H2 (I used to own an H4 as well), but as far as handling noise go, its terrible. If I don't move around much one can get away with an 'in pocket' recording without too much hassle. I almost always have it on a surface, or suspended in a stand situation. The handling noise on the zooms is pretty bad. I'm going to buy one of the new rubber holders that I see on the samson site and see if that helps it.

121 sounds
    1552 posts

matthew Galtress
    Bram, I am grateful for that response but I don't know if that really answers some people's queries. Can you post a topic in the announcements forum updating us on freesound 2's progress?

If you really want to follow freesound development, start watching our github repository and freesound 2 ticketing.

http://github.com/bram/freesound/tree/master
    http://freesound.lighthouseapp.com/

Both of which have been mentioned in the last blog post. Please accept that information is by "push" and not "pull". I.e. if we feel like blogging something we will, but please don't force us to waste even more time explaining every single move we make!

matthew Galtress
    P.S2 you didn't answer my 'point of order' post on one of the many download topics. Since posting it, I see there is a section in the FAQ forum on this, but I am not sure weather it necesarily covers the issues flagged up in these posts and, if it does, Bram, why do you think so many people are posting posts about the same problem?

100% of these issues are browser issues. A combination of rightclick+save-as or just configuring your browser properly will solve these problems. Plenty of these questions are answered in the FAQ.

matthew Galtress

*sigh*... Pardon me for bluntness, Matthew, but it would REALLY be in your interest to demand less. On the forums you hardly ever supply relevant feedback or replies, nor have you any sounds up on freesound... The only thing you do is basically force me to answer your posts/questions.

- Bram, donning his flame retardant suit

128 sounds
    198 posts

Hey dobo: What method have you found works to get the Mid mic close to the two omnis if you're using a baffle in between? I'm thinking about this primarily from the dimensions of my Jenklin disc, which would never allow very close proximity of the MID mic to the SIDEs. It's my experience that having all three mics as physically close as possible helps to keep phase issues due to time differentials down

0 sounds
    123 posts

Bram
    better add then now, and change the license when freesound 2.0 is released... we're taking longer than we had initially expected... weird

just mention the PD license in the description.

- bram

P.S Bram are you going to give us any more sounds? I know you work your socks off looking after the site and do rather a good job of it... grin However, I would like to here some more sounds from you at some point. My favourite of yours is I think the airport sound from Barsalona gate 39.

Good day!

0 sounds
    2 posts

thanks for the link "juskiddink". just what i needed.

1 sound
    11 posts

O sorry the sound of the animal wich the nazgul fly on is made of a donkey roor.
    But the screech of the Nazgûl themself are made by the screams of Fran Walsh one of the screenwriters of LOTR and Peter Jackson's wife.
    So let you're mother or sister scream like hell and start recording :wink:

121 sounds
    1552 posts

better add then now, and change the license when freesound 2.0 is released... we're taking longer than we had initially expected... weird

just mention the PD license in the description.

- bram

0 sounds
    1 post

Sound previews not working for me with Firefox (I'm also running 3.0.5)

0 sounds
    8 posts

some points to consider:
    Sony PCM-D50 comes with internal 2 Gb and expandible using propietary memory stick (very expensive). Plus, it cannot record to MP3 directly. Internal microphones are very sensitive (sometimes is good, sometimes is a pain in the ass).
    Olympus LS10 is smaller, cheaper and use SD/SDHC removable media card (very cheap). Internal microphones comes with foam-covers (no extra money).

I think the average listener will not appreciate differences in audio quality. But I have to say that Sony gives a 'bit' more pristine audio quality. Nonetheless, both recoders can give very good results. You will not regret the purchase of Olympus LS10.

0 sounds
    8 posts

dobroide

the MS setup I use regularly (or must I say I used to use?) is a shotgun mic and a figure-8. Listen to any of my field uploads during the last year if you want to check the result....
    Ps, I might be willing to sell my MS setup in the next months, drop me a line if you are interested

I have heard your audio files. They sound good imo.
    Which microphones do you use? I would like to purchase some mics for M-S recording, perhaps it would be a good idea to buy a second-hand gear.

btw, I have checked the size of Røde NT2-A and it is huge!!! Definitively it will be a pain in the ass use that mic in the field.

Regards from Copenhagen.

0 sounds
    23 posts

Thanks for the responses!

crguti
    Is it your aim to do audio DVDs? if it is not, both devices can do very nice recordings.

Yeah I should've probably elaborated a bit more on this. I'll be using the device to gather source material for electroacoustic composition work (and for sound installations and such). Because the aesthetic impact of the sound event is sought after, sonic detail is important. The sounds I'll be recording will range a lot, but there will be plenty of quiet and delicate sounds as well. For example: calm sea waves washing over a shore, a distant flock of birds, a helicopter flyby, a marble ball rolling on a table, a clock ticking, a swarm of insects etc...

Because of the amount of quiet sounds, low noise floor is very important. So I guess my main question is - can the LS-10 handle this kind of material? If it can, I'll get it due to its size, if not I have to pick a device with a better s2n ratio (most likely the PCM-D50).

There are plenty of audio clips available demonstrating both, but unfortunately most of them are relatively loud sound sources. Has anyone used the LS-10 with more delicate material? The background hiss audible on this acoustic guitar recording from O'reilly's review has got me worried...

Go to an audio shop and play with both. That will give you a better idea of what YOU want.

Unfortunately, neither unit is widely available here in Helsinki, and the Sony one seems to even downright impossible to find...

If I'd go down in price (and size) from the Sony PCM-D50, what unit would have the second best internal mics and s2n ratio? Is it the Olympus?

1 sound
    12 posts

Are there any plans when FreeSound v2.0 will be done?
    I really wait for the "public domain" option for the sounds.