Forums

1 sound
    2 posts

grin Thanks a lot guys! It's the Slurk just checking back in. When I posted the request, I wasn't sure I'd get anything back... but instead I got an awesome response. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help me out, much appreciated.

0 sounds
    16 posts

Very cool! Loved it and would love to see more.
    (Congrats to you too, Timbre!)

0 sounds
    24 posts

If you had some way of synching you could use two recorders rather than one four-track one. I heard that recording with the mics over the conductor's head works pretty well.

18 sounds
    455 posts

Find the Decca tree on Wikipedia smile

While I have experimented with the setup, I've never used it myself. As I was being trained to do sound for film & tv, the Decca tree isn't very practical to mount on a boom tongue

18 sounds
    455 posts

Yes, I usually put something like "soundx.wav by soundcreator", then the full url to the sample (something like freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=12345) and a line saying "Released under Creative Commons Sampling+ 1.0 license".
    That should do it, imo.

0 sounds
    3 posts

donations can be made! post something for me to listen to and it will be made to the chosen one..

2072 sounds
    1862 posts

CGEffex
    ... If they are in a movie making program they should be royalty free

Not necessarily: the licence could permit people who have bought the programme to use them, but the manufacturer still retains copyright, so the sounds are not public-domain.

When you purchase iMovie (or Garage Band) you also purchase a royalty free license to use the sound effects, audio loops, ect. even for commercial uses. Apple holds the copyright but you have been given permission (by your purchase) to use the material in your creations, and you should have no copyright issues.
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=6d87ed1b602f46d2&hl=en

0 sounds
    2 posts

I need a decently long double bass drum sample regularly heard in most common metal/post hardcore songs....

2072 sounds
    1862 posts

CGEffex
    Do you know of anyone who has the program that could upload them to here?

Lifting something from Youtube and posting it here could be a breach of copyright ...

By uploading files and adding them to the freesound website the users testify that those files can be released under the creative commons "sampling plus 1.0" license. You can review both the legal code and the "human readable" version of this license below. Failing to comply with the rules of the freesound website (i.e. uploading copyrighted material) will result in users being banning from the freesound website and legal actions will be taken against the violator. Uploads are traced and directly linked to the user of the system.
    http://www.freesound.org/legal.php

0 sounds
    14 posts

I'm still looking for help with this if anyone is available smile

2072 sounds
    1862 posts

These are somewhat similar ... http://www.freesound.org/packsViewSingle.php?id=4923

0 sounds
    1 post

Hey TC,
    My favorite way of recording a choir is to mic each section and use a stereo micing technique called the Decca Tree.
    The Decca Tree would be placed in front of the whole choir while the other microphones record each section.
    The original mics for the Decca Trees were 50s but Neumann U87s work excellent. A Decca Tree is a 3-microphone configuration,
    which there is a left, center, and right, mic placement. Look up the Decca Tree online, but don't waste your money on a stand.
    I just get 2 boom stands, 1 mic clip, and place the clip on the opposite end of one stand. That way, that one boom can hold 2 mics at the same time.
    It's a little difficult to explain, but works great.
    Also, after you record the choir, I usually record the key, solo, or lead singer(s) by themselves.
    Thanks a lot and hope this helps!

2072 sounds
    1862 posts

This punchbag sound is the nearest I've heard on Freesound to upholstered American footballers tackling ...
    http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=53985

121 sounds
    44 posts

I'm not sure, but I think they from Apple's iMovie sound library. You can rip the sounds out of that video, as there's no other sounds effects in the background when the stabs are played.

0 sounds
    3 posts

I wanna know who has the sexiest female voice out there to do a few drops for me!!!

"Youre now in the mix with DJ NUVO (pronounced new - vo)"

"youre rockin with the ladies favorite DJ NUVO"

"this is youre girlfriends favorite DJ NUVO"

let me hear all you ladies who have that sexay voice!!!

0 sounds
    24 posts

nicStage
    It's always tough on these units that don't indicate gain levels clearly on the trim and faders. The 8 o'clock suggestion seems appropriate for the trim for getting around 0dB considering the trim's range is -60dB to +4dB. The challenge with this unit is there is no indicator on the fader for what amount of gain is being applied. Depending on the mic you're using, 0dB on the trim might be too much gain before the fader. The standard practice for setting a level is to set the fader to 0dB of gain and then adjusting the trim upward until the levels look good in reference to the mic's position and the loudness of the actual audio source you're recording.

The best way to figure out where 0dB of gain is on the fader is to run a tone into the input of the recorder. But this still requires knowledge of how dBu translates to dBFS on the recorder. Generally 0dBu will translate to -20dBFS on digital recorders, but that's not a rule. Assuming that's true of this unit, you could try: Running a 0dBu tone into the recorder at mic level; Setting the recorder's input to mic; Setting the recorder's trim to 0dBu (About 8 o'clock I'm guessing). Turn the fader up until the meter on the recorder reads -20dBFS. That is the fader position that (Presumably) is 0dB of gain. Knowing that position, you can set levels by first setting the fader to that position and then putting the trim arbitrarily wherever the levels look good.

Good luck! smile

Sorry for the noob questions but how do I create a 0 Dbu tone? Also, I have the master fader at eight initially when running these tests but where do I have the mic trims? Having found the level on my master fader that gets the metres hitting -20 DBFS, I set my fader to that and go out and record. What do I do if what I'm trying to record requires more gain than the mic trims provide? Is it better to increase the master fader or increase in post?

0 sounds
    4 posts

Thanks for the concern Timbre, but Slandi already did the favor for me.

Within 30 minutes, he made me the clip. And my Professor graded me an A+.

Thanks Slandi, you're the best!

0 sounds
    1 post

How do I do this? Do I have to put something in the credits?

0 sounds
    6 posts

I hope this encourages others in future to do more vigorously "Requested samples".

And infact, we are alrleady in a scouting for a voice actors, who even could join in as "long term" coop.

2072 sounds
    1862 posts

These freesounders have done similar requests ...

Shawshank73 ... http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=82805

Alphahog ... http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=54915

But only giving a few hours notice then I doubt anyone here can (or will) help, sorry.