Forums

1 sound
    9 posts

Hi everyone.

I am recording a song and need torture sounds for one section. I am looking for whimpers more than screams (although I can use them too) I am a man so I can record male voices myself, What I really need are female. Guys if you would like to contribute, I can use you too. I want more voices than just mine. The overall thematic idea is a revelation type concept where people are writhing in pain.
    :twisted:
    Any help would be appreciated.

0 sounds
    1 post

I would just like to say this website is freaking awesome!!! Exactly what i needed!!! :lol:

3095 sounds
    479 posts

Hi,

sorry to hear that, Digi. This may become commonplace as Freesound gets bigger and bigger because it's a real piece of cake. I do not imply that we should look other way, on the contrary I think we must all be aware and take measures.

Personally I'm thinking of stamping digitally the new samples I upload. It's not that time-consuming when done in batch, and at least this way I could prosecute in the near future and... who knows wink

D

EDIT: let me link to the thread I recently started on the same subject:
    http://www.freesound.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3343

606 sounds
    276 posts

www.splicemusic.com

Has a bunch of my freesound files uploaded, as you can see here the user Mommarose didn't even bother to hide the original file name.

http://www.splicemusic.com/sounds/MommaRose/40620-digifishmusic-katy-sings-melisma-2/

from

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=40620

Mommarose has a number of my other sounds, I have also found some other freesounders work there (whom I have alerted). This means that not only is splice music now in breech of my copyright all the other people who have used these sounds in their songs are too. The management of the site has been contacted by my attorney so it will be interesting to see how they respond.

I am particularly defensive of freesounds exclusive right to host these raw files, so am prepared to prosecute.

digifish

29 sounds
    37 posts

No. You still own the copyright. By contributing a sample here, you grant a creative commons license to anyone who wants to use it (which requires them to give you credit). But you, as the copyright owner, remain free to use your work in whatever way you want or to negotiate other licenses for other uses.
    For example, if someone wants to use it in a way that wouldn;t be permitted under the CC license, such as without giving you an explicit credit, you are free to make a side deal with them under whatever terms you and they wish to negotiate.

0 sounds
    1 post

need engine sound such as in the old lost in space, episode 3 season 1 around 47 to 48 minutes into program.

0 sounds
    1 post

Can anybody help me out with some old school 80/s elctro tom samples. really need them

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi. I need a whip sample.
    Thanks

43 sounds
    8 posts

I know this sounds a little silly, but if I upload a sound to Freesound, does that change MY ownership of a sound? If I create a commercial work from one of my sounds, am I obligated to give visible credit to myself or the Freesound Project if I created the sound and have released it under the Creative Commons Sampling Plus License?

18 sounds
    456 posts

Hi! smile

606 sounds
    276 posts

Bram
    hey digifish...

Was listening to your recordings and... I'm wondering about one things: sound travels so fast in water the difference in the sound between two microphones spread a few cm apart is too small (i.e. listening to it it will sound like mono) for us to hear the stereo. So, just looked up the speed in water: it's about 1500 m/s. In air it' about 340 m/s. So in order to get the same stereo effect as we land dwellers get, you should place the microphones 5 times as far apart from each other than our ears are. Let's say our ears are about 20cm apart, that would mean that in order to get the same stereo effect you should put your microphones at least 1 meter apart! And probably more if you really want some good stereo.

I did some research about sound-in-water a few years ago because I wanted to organize an underwater electronic music festival. But there are some things I found out:

1. your ears are totally useless under water. As the impedance of the eardrums is matched for air-impedance (unscientific: your eardrums are too floppy), you don't use your ears under water. All sound travels through your bones (cheekbone in particular) to your auditory nerves. Try this: when in a swimming pool put your ears in your fingers. You'll hear just the same. Actually you will hear better because the bones in your fingers act as resonators smile

- Bram

Hi Bram,

all good points. I had actually done the calculations for the equivalent stereo spread and have the mics capable of about 1 meter separation. Inter-aural distance is infact about 15 cm on average so you need a bit less than that.

You probably missed what I wrote above ...

"Notes on binaural stereo underwater recording.

The speed of sound in seawater is approximately 1500 meters/sec. In air it is 330 meters/sec. So in order to replicate the same temporal delays you would hear above water (for stereo imaging) you need to separate your microphones by about 4.5 times further than you would in air. Now this is not what you would hear underwater, but should create a more interesting stereo effect."

I have not gotten around to making a spacer but do intend to get a perspex rod (as it won't float) and tie the mics to each end.

Really interesting stuff about your underwater rave smile

nice post BTW all good stuff!

digifish

121 sounds
    1552 posts

hey digifish...

Was listening to your recordings and... I'm wondering about one things: sound travels so fast in water the difference in the sound between two microphones spread a few cm apart is too small (i.e. listening to it it will sound like mono) for us to hear the stereo. So, just looked up the speed in water: it's about 1500 m/s. In air it' about 340 m/s. So in order to get the same stereo effect as we land dwellers get, you should place the microphones 5 times as far apart from each other than our ears are. Let's say our ears are about 20cm apart, that would mean that in order to get the same stereo effect you should put your microphones at least 1 meter apart! And probably more if you really want some good stereo.

I did some research about sound-in-water a few years ago because I wanted to organize an underwater electronic music festival. But there are some things I found out:

1. your ears are totally useless under water. As the impedance of the eardrums is matched for air-impedance (unscientific: your eardrums are too floppy), you don't use your ears under water. All sound travels through your bones (cheekbone in particular) to your auditory nerves. Try this: when in a swimming pool put your ears in your fingers. You'll hear just the same. Actually you will hear better because the bones in your fingers act as resonators smile

2. swimming pools sound like showers: a standard swimming pool is about 25m x 10m x 3m. The speed of sound is 5 times higher in water. That means that the "equivalent" size in air is 5m x 2m x 0.6m. So a swimming pool basically sounds like a small bathroom with a very long reverb time (someone hang some curtains in the swimming pool!).

3. as a said above, you don't hear stereo under water. Try it in a swimming pool by having someone hit a metalic object against the walls. You can't locate where it's coming from. smile

4. there is almost no bass under water for us humanoids: as sound is transferred through our bone structure and not our eardrums, we only hear the upper frequencies. So not only does it sound like an empty bathroom, it's got no bass.

5. all underwater sound is hifi. If you play sound underwater (with underwater speakers), it will drown out (pun intended) all other sounds. So, underwater you can have a true hifi listening experience! smile

- Bram

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for sharing these podcasts, I enjoyed listening to them. I especially liked the one on microphones where you gave audio samples
    of each type of microphone. That would be essential listening for anyone considering the purchase of their first microphone.
    I also listened to your podcast on rechargeable batteries. I had never heard of the type of battery called "eneloop" so I picked up some
    valuable info listening to that podcast.

Thanks again!
    Steve

795 sounds
    273 posts

grin COOL BEANS MANG!

0 sounds
    1 post

Hello ladies and gents. new to freesound~~ :twisted:

606 sounds
    276 posts

LG
    Very useful, thanks Digifish!

One thing none of these pod casts do is match levels between machines using the unit mic preamps and have often normalized the recorded files. Both server to obscure the real relative differences between units (to some extent). The method is simple to do, that is record a constant source with both units (ticking clock is great as it is constant and there is silence between the ticks to reveal the background hiss) and then set the record peak-meter level to the same dB value. This way both units are now recording at the same volume.

Then comparisons of audio files both pre and post normalization (if you must) are equivalent.

As I have both units I will do this soon and post a link here. For relatively quiet sources, the improvement in the R09HR immediately evident, that is not always the case listening to those pod casts.

digifish

606 sounds
    276 posts

hello_flowers
    just future reference if anyone wants to ask about how to make em...

FL is da shit

wooooooo

FL Studio is indeed an excellent DAW. I know, I write the manual for it smile

The lifetime-free updates are simply impossible to beat in a program of this maturity. 250,000+ registered users can't be wrong cool

digifish

795 sounds
    273 posts

just future reference if anyone wants to ask about how to make em...

first things first, you got to know: soundfonts are gay, mmmkay. and there are no good free softwares that can make 'em (veinna's UI is way too complicated for something that should be simple)

so what you should do instead then?

well you go download yer demo of fruity loops, see,
    then, ya take the sounds you want in yer soundfont
    and put them all one after the other in a mp3 file
    then ya load that mp3 file up inta fruityloop's slicer
    and it will automaticaly slice yer samples and then
    dump them to the piano roll so you can sequence em,
    each key will be a diff sound and you can use the nifty lil section below,
    where you set the velocity, to change the pitch, filter res and cut,
    pan and volume of each individual sound

this is what i do a lot for making loops and breaks and it is super convenient
    plus i doubt youll find an easier or faster way to do all dat

and if ya can i don wanna here bout it cuz FL is da shit

wooooooo

k thx bai guise ;3

0 sounds
    3 posts

LG
    Hi ironcore... great. I just started to play Warzone again and just learned about the warzone 2200 project. Really good idea to do this and looking forward to it. I think you will find a lot of what you are looking for at this website but let us know if you have specific requests.

- LG

Thanks

1134 sounds
    284 posts

Very useful, thanks Digifish!