Forums

0 sounds
    31 posts

Sounds abit like an old spring reverb.

Don't forget,its not just the "REVERB" but also they may have EQ'ed it and of course your listening to the final mastered loop so that has a lot to do with it.

Also the loop is not drenched in reverb so keeping it real short helps to make it sound more natural.

Check out the freeware reverb plugin Ambience but if you have Reaktor then you can't pass up their awesome REV6 reverb .

I've read that some have bought the software ,not for the synths and samplers but only just for this reverb.

0 sounds
    31 posts

I would have to say that the number one monster sound of all time,hands down its...GODZILLA.

There is nothing that even comes close.

To this day I still would like to know how they created that roar.

44 sounds
    22 posts

Ok, thanks.

-- steve

606 sounds
    276 posts

lostxsoul
    I worked with EDIROL R-4Pro, and it's amazing sound quality. But... what about SD/SDHC cards in R-44... It seems not so stable format... and maby one day they will gone? grin
    Ofcorse, I'll still have USB smile But...
    EDIROL R-4Pro with 80GB hard disc or R-44 with SD/SDHC cards (64 MB - 8 GB)???
    Recording Time using 8 GB SDHC card :
    24 bit/192kHz - 115 minutes and only stereo, not aviable for 4 channels... It's sad :cry:
    What r u thinking about these cards? :roll:

By the time you can no longer buy SD cards it will be time to get a new machine smile You could also ask the same question of the HDD in the R4-Pro, when it breaks will there be a replacement? I am sure there will.

Seriously, Micro SD is the latest format and can be put inside a standard SD adapter...I'd say that given the number of cameras, mobile phones and other devices that use SD and Micro SD there is no chance of it dissapearing any time soon.

BTW: 16 and 32 GB SHDC cards are available.

EDIT: I also think 24 bit 192 kHz is silly smile It's a marketing gimmick, 96 kHz would be more than enough for any ultrasonic recording you need to do...and even 96 kHz isn't useful unless you plan to transpose the sample down into the audible range. At 96 kHz you will also need mics that capture more than 48 kHz...I know of very few that get anywhere near that.

I have been closely following the 16 bit 44.1 kHz vs all other formats for many years. I came across a paper by David Griesinger (Lexicon DSP engineer) and this lead me to his site, very interesting (although cluttered) ...

http://world.std.com/~griesngr/

There's a lot of text...but 1/2 way down...

"And now for something completely different... Being currently over 60, and having in my youth studied information theory, I have a low tolerance for claims that "high definition" recording is anything but a marketing gimmick. I keep, like the Great Randi, trying to find a way to prove it. Well, I got the idea that maybe some of the presumably positive results on the audibility of frequencies above 18000Hz were due to intermodulation distortion, that would covert energy in the ultrasonic range into sonic frequencies. So I started measuring loudspeakers for distortion of different types - and looking at the HF content of current disks. The result is the paper below, which is a HOOT! Anytime you want a good laugh, take a read.

Slides from the AES convention in Banff on intermodulation distortion in loudspeakers and its relationship to "high definition" audio.

http://world.std.com/~griesngr/intermod.ppt

Conclusions -

1. Adding ultrasonics to a recording technique does NOT improve time resolution of typical signals – either for imaging or precision of tempo. The presumption that it does is based on a misunderstanding of both information theory and human physiology.

2. Karou and Shogo have shown that ultrasonic harmonics of a 2kHz signal are NOT audible in the absence of external (non-human) intermodulation distortion. (This BTW: means they can't be heard in the real world and that filtering them from the recording is a good thing as they can only do harm).

3. Their experiments put a limit on the possibility that a physiological non-linearity can make ultrasonic harmonics perceptible. They find that such a non-linearity does not exist at ultrasonic sound pressure levels below 80dB.

4. All commercial recordings tested by the author as of 6/1/03 contained either no ultrasonic information, or ultrasonic harmonics at levels more than 40dB below the fundamentals.

5. Our experiments suggest that the most important source of audible intermodulation for ultrasonics is the electronics, not in the transducers.
    Some consumer grade equipment makes a tacit admission of the inaudibility of frequencies above 22kHz by simply not reproducing them. Yet the advertising for these products claims the benefits of “higher resolution.”

6. Even assuming ultrasonics are audible, loudspeaker directivity creates an unusually tiny sweet spot, both horizontally and vertically.

7. A/B blind listening remains the gold standard for audio comparison.

digifish

3066 sounds
    479 posts

Yes, when describing sounds I regularly use the thesaurus at http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary.htm Although not without some fear because of the many senses of some words, thesaurus is a tricky tool in the hands of a non-native speaker. Then, when I want to find lots of interesting terms my the other option is reading acclivity's tags and descriptions smile

D
    EDIT: thanx for the thesaurus link

0 sounds
    24 posts

What do you guys think has to be the most unique monster sound or sounds created. grin

The original King Kong
    Peter Jacksons King Kong
    Peter Jacksons T-rex from King kong
    The T-rex from Jurrasic Park
    The Coverfield monster
    Godzilla
    Any Lord of the Rings Creature
    Chewbacca
    The Rancor
    The Raptors from Jurrasic Park
    Bronciosarus from Jurrasic Park
    Reek from Star Wars
    Acklay from Star Wars
    Tauntan from Star Wars
    Bantha from Star Wars
    Boga from Star Wars

If you want to you can add any others to the list that I forgot. It can be anything from older movies to movies that are out now.

0 sounds
    3 posts

:!: its dificult to find within the serch results list the file that its beeing played , the only thing that tells us a file its beeing played its the play/stop button and it happends to be very small , so i sugest a stripe of color over the currently playing file that will be helpfull.
    tanx.

412 sounds
    40 posts

If you can use any of my samples, go ahead. Credits on your site would be great.

0 sounds
    5 posts

... actually, I saw in the news yesterday that an oversea cable (EU-USA) of my service provider (german telekom) has some problems, that might be the propblem and would perhaps explain why I get a faster connection when vpn-ing via a university network, as they probably use a different connection to the usa...

0 sounds
    1 post

e123
    thanks for checking that. seems you're right, somehow: I get much better speeds via the musipedia link, and when I use VPN connection via two different universities, the freesound connection gets faster. all between 50kb/s and 200 kb/s. I have no idea what the reason could be, without VPN I get max download speeds on other sites (600kb/s). without vpn, freesound connection still at around 5 kb/s.

Glad to hear that my server seems faster. But the real reason is probably somewhere between your computer and the server you are using. Did you try traceroute?

For example, the command

mtr freesound.musipedia.org

should give you something like:

My traceroute [v0.71]
    <your host name> (0.0.0.0) Mon Mar 31 17:35:24 2008
    Keys: Help Display mode Restart statistics Order of fields quit
    Packets Pings
    Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
    1. <your host> 0.0% 21 0.0 0.1 0.0 0.1 0.0
    2. some intermediate host 0.0% 21 0.5 10.2 0.4 93.4 25.5
    5. vz3.iban-rechner.de 0.0% 21 1.9 1.3 0.6 4.9 0.9
    6. www.musipedia.org 0.0% 20 0.6 0.9 0.6 1.5 0.3

Wherever the packet loss is especially high, something goes wrong. By using a VPN via different universities, you might be changing your route such that the problem is avoided, which could explain a higher speed despite the VPN overhead.

- Rainer

0 sounds
    1 post

sample request-CHAIN GANG or individual chains and breaking rocks, thank you

0 sounds
    1 post

I worked with EDIROL R-4Pro, and it's amazing sound quality. But... what about SD/SDHC cards in R-44... It seems not so stable format... and maby one day they will gone? grin
    Ofcorse, I'll still have USB smile But...
    EDIROL R-4Pro with 80GB hard disc or R-44 with SD/SDHC cards (64 MB - 8 GB)???
    Recording Time using 8 GB SDHC card :
    24 bit/192kHz - 115 minutes and only stereo, not aviable for 4 channels... It's sad :cry:
    What r u thinking about these cards? :roll:

6 sounds
    24 posts

Wow. That clip of the girl singing "Au Clair de la Lune" is just Amazing. it sounds like some one trying to reach out to you from the other side or something. I wish I could find a way to get that same feel for some of the stuff I'm doing... Amazing post thanos! Just curious though what exactly were you searching for when you found this gem?

On an unrelated side note I'm working double time on the time machine after hearing about those concerts HK. lol You'll know it was successful when you Suddenly remember 4 people in the audience.

1120 sounds
    402 posts

Here they are http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=3248

Don't mind if you ask me to add/redo something, I take kindly to criticism.

412 sounds
    40 posts

1) You can find al lot of related words.
    2) You'll be amazed how many related expressions actually sound like eachother.

For example: scratching.

Main Entry: scratch
    Part of Speech: verb 1
    Definition: cut
    Synonyms: claw, damage, etch, grate, graze, incise, lacerate, mark, prick, rasp, rub, scarify, score, scrape, scrawl, scribble

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/scratch

The sound of scratching does resemble the sound of etching and scribbling in a way!

37 sounds
    14 posts

in order to reduce the file size of your ffile down to 500Kb, the quality would literally be reduced to lower than phone quality. I think you might need to re-organise your web-site so you can fit a larger file size in.

44 sounds
    22 posts

Thanks. I'll see what I can do with it. Probably be at least a week before I have anything ready.

Seems like there might be quite a lot of breath hitting the mic, though.

Not that I'm complaining... will take what I can get.

Edit: on second listen, with headphones, it's probably fine.

Would add though, everyone doesn't have to say exactly what I said ("oh shit..." etc.) and it's preferable if they say something else, actually. Just say whatever you'd say in such a situation. Doesn't even have to be words, maybe just some kind of frightened sound... "Yarrr!" I don't know... whatever sound you make when frightened.

213 sounds
    180 posts

Yohoo!

may i say

(i am already using those sounds)

185 sounds
    79 posts

Here you go, hope this works. turned out to be a rather large wav file.

http://www.mikevendetti.com/voices/wampus.wav

0 sounds
    1 post

Hello Allya,

I posted a provate message to you.

Cheers
    Florian