Forums

7 sounds
    5 posts

I agree - this is barbaric.

The story has only really just broken in the UK. And if it is indeed making kids lose their hearing in these frequencies, it's nothing short of abuse. Would love to hear from anyone with technical knowledge in this area.

Thanks for the posts. Let me know if anywhere else in the world is suffering from this extraordinary display of adult ignorance...

(By the way - kids are using it as a ringtone on their phones so adults can't hear it.... Seriously.)

KJ

121 sounds
    1545 posts

thedialogueproject,

that is a very distressing post.
    you should take it up with the media - because this is reducing the time your kid will hear these high frequencies.
    basically, they are making your kid deaf - in the higher frequencies.

- bram

101 sounds
    99 posts

it's interesting to say the least... but to digress a bit.... i wonder what the precise frequency is that the ATF used in waco, texas? anybody know what i speak of? i know it is low frequency and that it supposedly caused fatigue and sickness. (i need to start a thread about "sonic levitation"wink :twisted:

17 sounds
    224 posts

I'm 17 and here in Québec shopkeepers don't use it (yet) as a teen-repellent. Teenagers use it as a stealth ringtone instead. smile I agree this is very barbaric. The unconscious people that created this product don't even know what this sounds like. It's hear-splitting, and if all shop started playing this in front of them, it would be a very anti-social act, even more anti-social than the supposedly delinquant teens.

17 sounds
    224 posts

What exactly do you mean by grimey? Name some artists. I suggest buying a crate of old-ass vynils and start digging, if you have the same grimey as me in mind.

0 sounds
    3 posts

hi im using reason 3 an need sum help im tryin 2 make grime tracks but just cant find da right noises.

any body got any advice on how 2 make them grimey soundin noises

using da subtractor or malstrome 4 bass how do i make da bass sound grimey

any advice on grime production would b a help

so any body that knws a fing or 2 plz holla at me

thanks

7 sounds
    5 posts

Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it's not there

There’s something I have been talking about for a while and have mentioned to many people in the last few months, often elliciting the reaction: “You’re making this up aren’t you?”

Last summer my 9 year old son Billy told me there was a weird high pitched sound in a shopping centre here in London.
    I asked him to take me to where it was and I stood there and tried to hear it. I couldn’t hear anything.

He thought I was going deaf.

I thought I might be going deaf.

Or that maybe he had tinitus.

It turns out that it’s a sound that shops use to deter young people from their stores. It’s so high pitched that people over about 25 can’t hear it.

So I’m not going deaf. (Well actually I am but no more than anyone else over about 25.) Billy doesn’t have tinitus. He’s just a normal young person who can hear high pitched sounds.

And I wasn’t making it up. It’s called the Mosquito and it’s finally appeared in the national news in the UK:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk

Here’s the website of the people who sell it:

www.compoundsecurity.co.uk

You can hear the sound (or not) on my list on freesound. (I've done a version where I've pulled the pitch down so if you're old like me you can get an idea of what we're inflicting on young people.)

I’m feeling confused by what seems like a barbaric act.

I’m glad it’s come to light. Sad that it’s being sold. And I’m a bit jealous of teenagers and people under the age of about 25.

If they can hear the Mosquito, what on earth else are they hearing that we can’t? In music, in speech, in nature...

Yours in a low pitched kind of way,

KJ

45 sounds
    46 posts

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/index.php

45 sounds
    46 posts

don't rule out a video camera either. my little canon digital 8 has great audio too.

BTW - things sound more "real" (when recording or, later when listening) with good headphones.

in noise measurement, there is often a case of standing waves where, if you stand in one place, you hear things one way and move your head a bit and the sound changes substantially. likewise with mike positions which may differ from your head/ears position. its sometimes possible that the mike doesn't hear what your ears hear. it's good to monitor, through the recorder, what is being recorded. then, if you hear it, it should be recorded.

479 sounds
    132 posts

It was good. I like the way you build up a rythem.

163 sounds
    137 posts

Welcome !

1357 sounds
    123 posts

Welcome to freesound.

0 sounds
    2 posts

Hello everybody,

I'm from Austria and I find yoursite as a big community in which I want to be part of. Nice that you have an open forum smile
    I wish you all the best.

0 sounds
    10 posts

Thanks for sharing with us.

45 sounds
    46 posts

... and people are still enjoying it in 2008 - at least I did. The sound track was very good.

35 sounds
    1 post

I just wrote about using my camera (Canon Powershot S2is) as a field recorder:
    someaudioguy.blogspot.com/2007/12/makeshift-field-recorder-your-digital.html

If you have a camera that does stereo sound when in camcorder mode, chances are it'll have an audio only mode. I wouldn't recommend buying a camera just for this though wink.

And samples here:
    someaudioguy.blogspot.com/2007/12/in-response-to-using-your-camera-as.html

0 sounds
    6 posts

THANKYOU SO MUCH for the responses,

Sorry i didn't get straight back; was away for the week!

Corsica S, Thanks to you and your girlfriend, this sounds great; I'll try playing with it and send you results! How could I tip you?

Fresh G, Yeah why not A barry white voice could be great fun!

0 sounds
    6 posts

I'm reading my previous post, I apologize for my bad english :roll:

is there any news about the project? grin

0 sounds
    3 posts

can any 1 help me im lookin 4 grime samples/sounds

anybody knw where i can find sum?

let me knw plz

thanks

102 sounds
    25 posts

Hi, like it - minimalistic and subtle. All the best.