Forums

4 sounds
    47 posts

I'll be going to the Eagles concert in Sept but we can't bring any recording equipment. I only go to hip hop events other than that...

0 sounds
    6 posts

Hey, I was just wondering what kind of "attribution" would be acceptable if I have a youtube video where in I've used over 200 samples from this site... you'll see the project soon. Almost done! grin

0 sounds
    6 posts

Fruity loops is probably what you're looking for, it'll be a bit daunting at first though. Plus it costs some money...

I used to use Fruity loops a lot, but ever since I started using Nuendo years ago I haven't touched it.

Check out plug-ins like Nexus, it's awesome at that stuff. But again, pricey. There are lots of free VST synths out there that you can use with Fruity Loops that will do similar tricks.

0 sounds
    1 post

Hello everyone. First off, sorry for the lengthy post.

I'm 25 and live in Peru. Recently I decided I wanted to pursue a career in Audio Engineering. I have a degree in media arts (or whatever it's called - it changes name from place to place, even in the states) and also studied music.

I'd like to focus on recording, initially as an employee and eventually in a place of my own, but since I'm kind of a Jack of all trades, I'd also like to work on my own music. I've done some work in live situations on both sides of the stage as well, so that interests me as well.

This is why being in a place where music, recording and arts in general thrive is so important to me. I'm aware of reality and the fact that I have to make a living out of it somehow, even if it takes an insane amount of work.

So I eventually thought of NY and came to a crossroads. More like a turnpike actually. Or something equally intimidating. Whatever.

I wanted to attend SAE NY, but browsing the forums and from hearsay it appears it's lost some of its relevance and decreased in education quality. I've heard of inadequate teachers and of poor curriculum, which makes me rethink my choice, as paying for a tuition of that sort, being from Peru and all, is a big deal.

So my question is, would the education quality in SAE NY live up to the hype? Would I be better off someplace else... maybe a different city? Finally, would the curriculum touch at some point the subject of live audio or am I left alone to explore such themes on my own?

The amount of information I can get being so far away is kinda limited to forums, since I don't know anybody in the world of audio engineering that could give me any advice about the US.

Thanks a lot for the insights you may provide, and also a big thanks for reading thus far.

BTW - I'm aware of Full Sail's well-planned program, but it's just too expensive for me.

0 sounds
    3 posts

roughly 30 sec. long. A deep tone hymn as well. i wish i could give more info on what i'm lookin for besides that i'm pretty sure it's a Buddhist hymn from what i can tell. I've been all over the net and can't find anything but then again i'm real impatient(a sign over my head appears saying: drummer!) and gave up probably to soon. If anyone can help me out with this it would be awesome and much appreciated.

0 sounds
    6 posts

Well, linux is free so it's a viable option.

Installing "Gentoo Studio" is a snap, and Ardour comes installed on it.

However, as stated, audacity would probably suit you well for your current needs.

And what are you doing playin' with audio if you're not on a mac, anyways!? Just messin', I'm on a PC too! :\

26 sounds
    107 posts

Wilkooo
    Check out Ardour. It's an open-source DAW comparable to Pro-Tools.

http://ardour.org/

The skills you develop learning Ardour transfer nicely over to Pro-Tools and other DAW software you may use in the future, plus the functionality is much more advanced. It's worth taking the time to learn it if you're going to be doing a lot of sound work.

It's pretty complex though, especially if you've never seen anythin' like it before.

Hope you like reading manuals... grin

Only runs on Linux :roll:

edit: and Mac... sorry.

210 sounds
    52 posts

With autumn coming up, I think it would be great to have some fairly long ambient sound from some of those autumn festivals - oktoberfest, etc. Music, parades, happy people, wind-blown leaves, etc.

This is not for any project, I just think it would be fun to hear grin

368 sounds
    256 posts

Thanks for this,I thought the comments were especially relevant and wished it was much longer.
    It's great you send these links...much appreciated.
    btw let's just hope that's a freesound jingle at the start!

368 sounds
    256 posts

I would also say welcome returns Mark,you have been missed!
    And right on point,for while all the wet,watery sounds in Stalker are very fine,it is indeed that rail-track journey that I find so unforgettable!cajo is right,the sound is subtly changing...genius!!!!

103 sounds
    195 posts

welcome back Mark!
    never seen "rivers and tides", I'll check it, thanks for the mentalink.
    "Stalker" is one of my favourites movies- not only the plot (I love scifi), the whole aesthetic level is so high. as Mark pointed out, the starting train sequence is a gem inside a gem - the sound is a true actor. if my memory still works there's a long fading from b&w to colors, and the train sound too is subtly changing.
    another dramatic sequence is a timeless pan over water covered objects... great Tarkovsky
    grazie Dobroide for sharing some of your experiences!

609 sounds
    276 posts

dobroide
    yep, it's available right now (it wasn't when I first tried) Thanx, it's very nice!

Unfortunately the only glimpse of the real gear was a 700 series Sound Devices recorder smile

Here's the article...

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg19926641.800-interview-from-rocknroll-to-the-sounds-of-nature.html

3097 sounds
    480 posts

yep, it's available right now (it wasn't when I first tried) Thanx, it's very nice!

609 sounds
    276 posts

dobroide
    ... no longer available" Sh**, it didn't lasted much! (after posting the link in FS, that is)

...are you sure, still seems available here?

3097 sounds
    480 posts

... no longer available" Sh**, it didn't lasted much! (after posting the link in FS, that is)

3097 sounds
    480 posts

Thanks for the input guys (right now enjoying Goldsworthy digital catalogue at http://www.goldsworthy.cc.gla.ac.uk/ , it's so amazing)

@ juskiddink: I'll see if I can get Tarkovsky's Stalker, many thanks!
    @hammerklavier: good to read you, and next time I see old Ludwig will let him know you long for assisting with his 10th symphony smile

D

609 sounds
    276 posts

I found this at YouTube, thought it was relevant for Freesounders...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f21PNOdGdC0

Watch bioacoustician Bernie Krause and his team set-up and record sounds of nature in the Arctic.

368 sounds
    256 posts

I saw this film a few years ago and really enjoyed it.When the images and sounds are right in a film I think "well done!".Sometimes there's a sound that doesn't fit and I think why didn't they choose something different?That is what makes freesound such a great place,you can upload your sounds (blind) and people can choose.I would probably be nervous about participating in movie soundtracks!
    My favourite soundtrack is the one to the film Stalker,by Andrei Tarkovsky,the context feels close and I would be thrilled to have been involved but hey,it's just so good without me!

0 sounds
    6 posts

Check out Ardour. It's an open-source DAW comparable to Pro-Tools.

http://ardour.org/

The skills you develop learning Ardour transfer nicely over to Pro-Tools and other DAW software you may use in the future, plus the functionality is much more advanced. It's worth taking the time to learn it if you're going to be doing a lot of sound work.

It's pretty complex though, especially if you've never seen anythin' like it before.

Hope you like reading manuals... grin

8 sounds
    7 posts

hi! do we have any news about the announced new Røde blimp mentioned above in this thread??

http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=3&applicationID=3521

please, let me know if anyone knows when this is due to be on sale, I could not find more info online. thanks in advance.