Forums

0 sounds
    2 posts

This has to be one of the biggest unanswered questions of all time...

What ARE those damn samples Eric Serra uses in pretty much all of his compositions? Especially that "hollow" metallic hit you can hear in almost every single piece of music he's ever created...

Just listen to the score of Goldeneye, The Fifth Element, Leon (to name a few), and you'll know exactly what I mean.

It's been driving me insane since 1995!

DD.

17 sounds
    224 posts

lol. I didn't say they used ONLY sound from the outdoors... but they did mike the synth coming out of an amp in an open field.

0 sounds
    6 posts

Link to a clip that has it. If it's commonly used in feature films, it's most likely an orchestral instrument. If you searched through some orchestral percussion, I bet you'd find it.

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi to all members forum,

Can you help me found or editing with Roland FANTOM X7 DURAN DURAN PLANET EARTH ARPEGGIO

Lot of thanks Simone

121 sounds
    1552 posts

if you are on windows:

http://www.dors.de/razorlame/
    http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lamedrop.php

these are free and open source.

- bram

0 sounds
    7 posts

I guess I got a bit over-zealous...i downloaded kristal and it won't play sounds...can't seem to figure out how to fix it...my guess is it's because i'm on vista 64-bit, so if anyone knows any other DAWs or knows how to fix that i'd be really happy to get some feed back grin

0 sounds
    7 posts

Woot! thanks a lot bro grin i can't even tell you how much i appreciate the help here smile

4 sounds
    47 posts

I wonder how many bees they had to piss off to get them to make that synthy bass sound? tongue

26 sounds
    107 posts

Digifish posted this a while back: http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

4 sounds
    47 posts

FL Studio or Sony ADIC Pro would work well and both can be found online to purchase or "obtain without purchasing." Not that I would advocate getting programs illegally but if YOU really wanted to there are ways, lets be honest with the beginner.

26 sounds
    107 posts

messengerofdarkness
    basically i know that in jurassic park they mixed sounds a elephant, a alligator, and a giraffe (or some weird mix of animals) to make the sound the t-rex made

so i'm guessing i could do the same (with different sounds) to make sounds for techno. does anyone know any useful programs for melding sounds together like that? or just about advice or suggestions for programs to make my own sounds for my songs?
    i would really appreciate some help, i don't like the idea of using fl studios pre-recorded sounds they have built in.

The most useful programs for "melding sounds together" (more commonly known as mixing) are DAWs, Digital Audio Workstations. You can get one for free here.

26 sounds
    107 posts

whatsanickname4u
    Hmm... not so sure about self-amplified... the thing with the speakers is I'm also looking for connections to my laptop which only has one audio output. Suggestions please! Thanks digifish once again!

Digifish's suggestions are good ones. You can easily connect your laptop to any of these speakers with a stereo 1/8" to stereo RCA cable. As far as self-amplified (also called 'active') you probably do want that kind, as otherwise you need to have an amplifier for each speaker. If you have a couple nice amps around this is definitely an option, but any amp that's not really good will colour your sound. Active is definitely easier, especially if you're tight on space as well as budget.

17 sounds
    224 posts

This Montreal band uses sounds of nature (river flowing, birds, fire, logs being hit with an axe, wood pieces being thrown, canoe as a bass drum hit by a bunch of plants tied together attached to a bass drum pedal, etc.) as integral parts of their really upbeat songs! Check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5WS21ThNA

THE NATIONAL PARCS
    Timbervision
    The National Parcs, veterans of Montreal's celebrated Freeworm, have gone into the wild – and come back with a look and sound that's as big as the world.

The three young men were born in the backwoods of Quebec, Malawi and B.C., but bred on Montreal streets buzzing with the noise of every nation on earth. For this groundbreaking CD/DVD album, they strip back down to basics, returning to their roots in the bush. The great outdoors becomes their studio, and their songs come alive with all-natural samples of wood splitting, sand slipping, paddles slapping, water dripping. Their cameras and microphones are trained on the trackless woods around them, but their ears have been trained on Grime and Hip Hop, Afrobeat and Baile Funk, American Spirituals and Malian Blues. The resulting Timbervision tracks are an invitation for the world to dance, starting with the half-remembered hum of our own backyards and smuggling in the best that the world has to offer.

The band first joined forces for Freeworm's 2001 live shows, which pioneered their fascination with grafting exotic and broken beats onto the rhythms of maple forests and canoeing. This was the year the city first got out of its seats for the trio's infectious found-sound and found-image stage experience: their Club Soda performance at the Montreal Electronic Groove Festival won them the MIMI "Show of the Year" award. Two Freeworm albums later, they're making the partnership official as The National Parcs. The French–English mash-up of the band's new name suggests the range of their influences, while the parkland theme is a nod to preserving what matters.

http://thenationalparcs.com/

0 sounds
    2 posts

Hey guys,

Wanted to have a crack at doing a remix of the theme from the first "Max Payne" videogame, but was wondering if you could help me identify some of the samples?

Here is a YouTube link to the theme...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtiThcmjY80

The samples I'd like to identify, in particular, are the Eric Serra sounding "hollow metallic hit", the twangy guitar (if it even *is* a guitar) played in F, E, B (?), and what I *think* is some sort of a "gong drag", but am not sure...

Anyways, all help would be greatly appreciated! grin

DD.

0 sounds
    6 posts

Hey everyone what's up. I just joined this site not too long ago and I'm really enjoying the group dynamic on here. Everyone is just so cool and relaxed and this is nothing like the previous sound forum I used to be a part of.

With that in mind, I was wondering if any of you own the Olympus LS-10 handheld recorder? And if so, would you happen to know of any website links that showcase audio samples of what this recorder is capable of?

The main reason I'm looking to buy this is that I really enjoy filling my music with atmospheres and environments. Sounds such as rain, thunder, lightning, ocean waves, etc. etc. But I'm just having a real difficult time finding any links to these types of sounds with the LS-10.

I'd really appreciate this and look forward to your replies.

Thanks!

0 sounds
    6 posts

Great job man. Keep up the good work.

0 sounds
    1 post

I don't really know what to search for exactly, but it's that sound that plays in a moment of shock, like when a hand comes onscreen onto someones shoulder and that single kind of "DUN!" noise is heard. Someone please help me with that!

103 sounds
    195 posts

beautiful way to goof around!
    not really an eccentric composition but delicate, inspiring mood, good mix with background.
    why don't you share some of your smooth flute phrases here in freesound?
    professional recording is not required :wink:

0 sounds
    7 posts

Audacity's free and you record stuff on to it. i'm not too experienced in making techno as i just recently started but if you have a little money to spend you can get FL studio (i'd suggest downloading the demo before deciding on that though) which is what i've used. FL comes with it's own sounds when you download it so you can start out immediately. My buddy who wants to make techno with me told me he uses youtube downloader to get sounds and uses virtual-dj <---- which you can also download a demo for.
    also i was referred to http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=7

i've never used deckadance but i'd assume you can save the songs....if that's the case you can use fl studio to make a whole song, using the sounds you made on deckadance.

0 sounds
    7 posts

basically i know that in jurassic park they mixed sounds a elephant, a alligator, and a giraffe (or some weird mix of animals) to make the sound the t-rex made

so i'm guessing i could do the same (with different sounds) to make sounds for techno. does anyone know any useful programs for melding sounds together like that? or just about advice or suggestions for programs to make my own sounds for my songs?
    i would really appreciate some help, i don't like the idea of using fl studios pre-recorded sounds they have built in.