Forums

121 sounds
    1552 posts

so, errmm, there is a 95% probability that in september we will be doing a 30 to 45 minute mass people recording with 3 to 4000 people.

before we tacle the "what kinda sounds" problem, the question is of course: what kinda tech!

This is a picture of the place:
    http://us4.pixagogo.com/S5z2!f82IQM34Yd2uCxRMotsu6eh-Sn4D!7Z8-l5jLokQqoCf-L9bM-lEePnb9ju2gyRAUDeA4yxs84GVPqKF1lHYbpP-q0uGxve60rnXVjjFltWq9i6a!Yg__/graslei-G9WL0293-020507.JPG

A stage will be suspended just below (seen from this picture) the bridge. The stage is suspended above the water.

All people are spread out in front of the stage, on the left and right-hand banks of the water.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime oportunity, so the idea would be to capture it well, but of course budgets aren't infinite.

How would you do it? And -if you live near belgium- wanna help? smile

- Bram

111 sounds
    48 posts

Maybe I don't understand something - but as far as I know you can use the samples from Freesound also in your "commercial" realeases - as long as you CREDIT the source and the authors of the work.

"Attribution list" makes it quite easy if you haven't kept track of your downloads yourself.

Correct me if I am wrong.

44 sounds
    99 posts

dude, you need an audio interface. Either USB or firewire. An audio cable cannot connect to your usb or firewire port without an interface. Most USB audio interfaces come with a preamp built in, so if you haven't bought the ART preamp don't buy it and just spend your money on a USB audio interface.

4 sounds
    31 posts

I'm looking for anybody who is interested in collaboration in electroacoustic and acousmatic music and can provide homemade recordings of acoustic guitar, playing some melancholic and poetic melodies, which then will be processed. Something close to Letna, Bluermutt, Andrey Kiritchenko, and so on.

The reason why I'm asking for a specific recording is that I'm planning to release my next album on a record label, and, as you know, Creative Commons will not allow me to use samples that are available here.

If anyone will get interested, drop me a line (here or via e-mail).

Cheers.

0 sounds
    49 posts

Yea, i've been through Bob Katz's website. There is great info there and in his book too.

111 sounds
    48 posts

Hi guys,

I just pointed out, that you probably talk about two different things - peak levels VS. RMS values.

I'm a "headroom" guy myself, so I would take sides with "mike-t3" probably if this would be a (loudness) war, otherwise if "ejfortin" is for a reasonably loud (and clear) recordings - then I agree. But do keep in mind that normalizing or recording to 0 peak of quiet sounds is of no use.
    Regarding that, you could really read at least the part called "Full scale peaks and SNR" from the article I linked in my previous post. I think it is logical and useful information:

Full scale peaks and SNR

It is a common myth that audible signal-to-noise ratio will deteriorate if a recording does not reach full scale digital. On the contrary, the actual loudness of the program determines the program's perceived signal-to-noise ratio. The position of the listener's monitor level control determines the perceived loudness of the system noise. If two similar music programs reach 0 on the K-system's average meter, even if one peaks to full scale and the other does not, both programs will have similar perceived SNR. Especially with 20-24 bit converters, the mix does not have to reach full scale (peak). Use the averaging meter and your ears as you normally would, and with K-20, even if the peaks don't hit the top, the mixdown is still considered normal and ready for mastering, with no audible loss of SNR.

And to define what I meant with "appropriate levels" - the levels at which certain sounds sound well... if it is a whisper it should stay a whisper (if it is not meant to be some special FX - noise of giants' nostrils or something) and if it is heavy machinery it should be heavy machinery, not mice playing with needles...
    Dynamics is what makes sounds and music alive and dramatic and causes emotional impact!

Much is dependant on calibration of metering and recording levels and playback monitor levels - Bob Katz (his web-site and article I linked) is very informative in those subjects.

best regards

0 sounds
    6 posts

Anyone else??

121 sounds
    1552 posts

I figured out yesterday that clearing the cookies isn't needed at all... Nothing bad can happen.

- Bram

163 sounds
    137 posts

Hi Bram,

it worked for me without deleting the cookies, I just needed to specify my password again.
    What could happen if you don't clear the cookies?

-Erdie

0 sounds
    2 posts

Well, I was thinking of getting software like this one
    http://www.download.com/USB-Audio-ASIO-Driver/3000-2120_4-10066659.html?tag=lst-2&cdlPid=10561691

Seems pretty straightforward... although I'd rather spend 55 dollars elsewhere. I'm more worried that an 1/8" adapter plugging into a crappy laptop standard mic input is going to kill the sound. I guess I'd just have to try it.

26 sounds
    107 posts

If you can use the USB (via an interface for example) do it, it will be much better than using the input on your laptop. It sounds to me like you are considering somehow plugging your preamp directly into the USB port... how in the world would that work???? and no, i don't think (if you could do that) that the computer would be able to use it, as it wouldn't have any drivers/protocol for it.

as for XLR vs. 1/4", if it's an unbalanced 1/4" connection, you will lose a lot of signal, so XLR is better in that case.

44 sounds
    99 posts

Mike-T3

yes, but your definition of "appropriate levels" are much different than mine, as well as the rest of the industry. From what you have said -12 to -18db peak levels are ok to record at. This is utterly untrue in my opinion.

Satoration - if you mean levels generally peaking between 0 and -5db on your peak meter, then yes your statement is perfectly correct. If you agree that -12 to -18 peak levels are ok, then I would have to disagree.

0 sounds
    49 posts

Satoration
    I am surprised that there was so much debate about such basic matter. Just make shure it does not clip and record at appropriate values

lol well what am I supposed to do if people are telling me I'm wrong when I'm telling them they don't need to record as hot as they possibly can? You basically just summed up my whole argument.

0 sounds
    2 posts

Just got myself an Art Studio Preamp www.amazon.com/ART-Tube-Studio-Mic-Preamp/dp/B0002E50MC/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3
    And an Audix I5 Mic www.amazon.com/Audix-i-5-I-5-Instrument-Microphone/dp/B0002IHNA0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213211060&sr=8-1

I'm planning on putting this through my laptop, using Audacity for now to record and edit but hopefully moving on to something more streamlined. What I'm wondering is this: what would be the cleanest hookup to my laptop? Through the default 1/8" mic imput on my laptop, or through the USB 1.0/2.0 in the back? I'm not sure if PnP would work here or is even applicable, or if the computer would pick up the USB port as another mic in through Audacity/whatever. Although it looks like it should be cleaner than straight analog? Would appreciate clear-up on this.

I also have the option of feeding into the preamp either XLR or 1/4". Is there a difference in sound quality?

Kevin

0 sounds
    1 post

I think you need to update recaptcha with the new url

0 sounds
    31 posts

Normalize the Preview and leave the waveform as is.

That way you can hear the sound and at the sametime know thats its either a very loud or low sound by just looking at the waveform.

The current way sucks because if I'm up at 4 in the morning going through some sounds,I totally hate having to constantly adjust the volume every time I encounter a really low or ear splitting sound.

795 sounds
    273 posts

roed
    He thought it was unethical to record a medicalvent.

What a dink!!!!!!!!!! tongue

0 sounds
    24 posts

alphahog
    Hey karla,

How about a hooker that's a bit past her? sell before date. http://www.anumber1.com/mike/heymister.mp3

Haha,..

i'm sorry about the delay (factor) we're working out some small problems dealing w/3d Blender 2.5 and Carrara pro 5. That was definitely a great session and there no reasons why we can't fit this in and thanks again alphahog! Hopefully by next week we'll have this ready for you... :wink:

0 sounds
    13 posts

Today I went to the dentist with my oldest daughter who had to have a tooth pulled for the braces. I brought my recording equipment ( nothing fancy, just a MD recorder) because I wanted to put some dentist sounds on my website as the sound of the day. But the dentist refused! He thought it was unethical to record a medicalvent. So my sound of today wasn't the dentist but actually became a link to the freesound site :lol:

54 sounds
    2 posts

Watch my page over the next few days. I will set you up with the real thing (my buddy is a dentist)