Forums

527 sounds
    651 posts

Anchor chain is now available.

0 sounds
    1 post

The Marantz pre-amps are one of the noisiest around and from others experiences I think the Marantz is also not the best built / most reliable either.

The Fostex FR2-LE is a cracking field recorder for the money and the pre amps are pretty quiet. Good display and function buttons well laid out. Downside would be that the internal mics are totally rubbish this is a device to be used with external mics - I mainly use a Rode NT4 stereo mic with it. Downside in that you format the CF card for the recording quality e.g. 44.1Khz 16bit and to change the settings you have to reformat the card.

Sound wise it will beat both the Edirol and Olympus I make mention of below.

In the more compact little recording devices area the Sony PCM-D50 I think is universally agreed as the best small form-factor recorder. I have not personally tried one of these so can't give user feel for it, it also sits at the top of the small form factor price range.

Two recorders I do use as well as the Fostex are:

Edirol R09-HR. Great little recorder, very intuitive to use recorder, good sound from built in mics, internal mics handle wind noise well, upto 96Khz 24bit recoding. Only a mini jack connector for external mics which means that if you use an external decent mic you will need an XLR to mini jack cable which puts a lot of stress on the recorders connection I find.

Olympus LS-10. This is a new purchase but so far, great built quality more in the league of the Sony, battery life over three times as long as the Edirol, good sound from internal mics (less coloured than the Edirol), again only a mini jack for external mic, good layout of controls but no live split track function when recording (not a massive problem), suffers from wind noise more than the Edirol (need to make a fluffy for it), comes with 2 gig inbuilt memory and uses SDHC as well, upto 96Khz 24bt recording.

I don't like the mini jack external mic connection on either of these but I see the selling point of the olympus and edirol to be that they are small form factor digital recorders with good internal mics and use them as such.

Hope this is some food for thought.

16 sounds
    2 posts

Please forgive the lengthy post.

I am a sound-based art composer and lecturer in music technology. I am currently running a project at the LOROS Hospice in the UK (Leicestershire Organisation for the Relief of Suffering) in which I play environmental sound recordings and soundscapes for small groups of patients who are undergoing palliative care at the hospice, and we talk about our listening experiences. The patients find the sessions of great benefit.

Based on patient feedback, I am currently looking expand the project to provide the patients with a sample resource through which they can select and/or create their own environmental soundscapes that they can listen to in their own time, without having to come along to the organised sessions - this is particularly useful for those patients who are bed ridden. As LOROS is a registered charity the purchasing of licenses for patients to use commercial sound effects and recordings is prohibitive.

To this end, I have a question for the Freesound forum; does the Freesound license allow me to download Freesound samples (in their unaltered entirety) and place them into a sound library that is accessible for patients at the hospice?

These sounds will be for the use of LOROS patients on site at the hospice only, a) as creative material in the creation of individual soundscape compositions, and b) as listening material (for group or individual listening sessions); to this end the material may also be used as creative material by myself, to create soundscapes for use in the individual and group listening sessions. Note: I run the sessions as a volunteer and receive no compensation for the sessions that I provide.

Thanks

Rob Weale

0 sounds
    49 posts

Buy a new pair of them if you know them and know the sound of them.

Personally I really like my HD600... Something to consider might be whether you actually need them closed backed or not as open back headphones like the HD600 generally have a better sound... or at least a more neutral sound.

Or maybe you do want something more insulated from the outside world?

0 sounds
    4 posts

my Sennheiser Hd 25's got nicked on a shoot recently, so i am considering what to replace them with. I use them in the field and in my suite. Was wondering if anyone had others that they thought were superior or whether i should just buy another pair? thanks for the advice.

Keith

0 sounds
    123 posts

arytopia
    Acclivity might have been playing with words with reference to your inability to spell your beloved English language. A spell check would make your posts much easier to read and offer greater clarity to your point when you have one. Did you mean mane or main ?

Yes, that is something I have called for and still think should happen. I am not the greatest speller in the world.If you want to join my campaign, you are welcome.
    I didn't mean to do with horses, but the other one.

17 sounds
    31 posts

Acclivity might have been playing with words with reference to your inability to spell your beloved English language. A spell check would make your posts much easier to read and offer greater clarity to your point when you have one. Did you mean mane or main ?

0 sounds
    1 post

There's not much on here for quality kick samples, but that'll all change once my sons arrive.

0 sounds
    1 post

I too am interested in finding these. Only thing I have ever heard is here

www.miniorgan.com/lib/view.php?miniorgan=115&view=E&srch=&srch_type=&sortby=1&output=56

0 sounds
    2 posts

sorry for not RTFM (or in this case the whole of the last topic) but my favourite is still the old thread's version 1, by a significant amount.

0 sounds
    123 posts

acclivity

Or is it the horse's tail?

What do you mean?
    I understand your message but I don't understand that. explain...

546 sounds
    351 posts

Or is it the horse's tail?

0 sounds
    123 posts

In the sidebar on some pages, there is a 'latest forom posts...' section. In that section, should it not be displayed if a topic is an announcement, sticky or locked? Just interested in your opinions.
    :?:

527 sounds
    651 posts

See also

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=32329

18 sounds
    456 posts

yw, hope you have fun here smile

0 sounds
    3 posts

Benboncan
    Try these sites

Thanks!

527 sounds
    651 posts

If you mean a heartrate monitor I have uploaded a file called Steady Heart Monitor To Flatline. No idea when it will be available.

527 sounds
    651 posts

Try these sites

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9573&highlight=surround

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html?page=1

I have used the Zoom2Five software following the instructions in the excellent oreilly site to great effect. Have fun!

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hi all!

I'm recording more and more 4ch sounds with my Zoom H2 so the question on how I should be able to listen to them at home pops up.
    What tools do you use to encode multichannel wav into 5.1 AC3 and/or n-channel WAVs? Mac/Windows/Linux doesn't matter.
    If Audacity would be able to do it thru a plugin it would be great.

At work I have a separate channel sound "card" set up but at home there's only a AC3/DTS decoding receiver and a couple of sound players.
    For instance my xbox with xmbc can play ac3 encoded wavs directly as well as DTS and AC3 streams of course.

/Per

0 sounds
    1 post

I am looking for a steady beat with a difibrillator / then a flatline.

Anyone create this yet?