Forums

134 sounds
    26 posts

Clicks can be caused by many things in digital audio. If you could give some examples of the processes your putting your samples thru that would help.
    With repeated or looped sound the most common cause of clicks is that the loop point isn't sitting on a zero point in the sound wave. The zero point is the point at which the amplitude of the wave is neither positive (up) nor negative (down). Try using the Find Zero Points command (Z on the keyboard) in Audacity to help fix the beginning and end points of your loop and see if this helps.
    Clickless loops can be made at other points in a soundwave but this requires zooming in on a waveform at pretty high magnification and making a good visual match; it's tricky but it can be done.
    Manually finding zero crossover points is easier and sometimes works better than using the automatic zero point finders in most editing programs.
    The same thing about zero points applies to simple edits in audio; sometimes a click can happen because the edit isn't resting on the zero point.
    As for clicks in elongated sounds; that's harder to say without hearing the original. Elongating a sound can make a brief transient click a suddenly noticeable thump. With sounds that have been compressed; little flaws and distortions (politely called "artifacts"wink can become big and ugly once simple digital processes are applied to them.
    I don't have any on-line references, unfortunately, but I'm sure my fellow freesounders will know of some good sites.

0 sounds
    10 posts

I've noticed with some samples I tried to elongate or repeat Im getting a sort of clicking sound , Im using Audacity just now to tweak what I can and it nots terrible but its bit annoying if you want a clean sound , does any one have any suggetions ?

I noticed there was something on this program to get rid of clicks but it didnt do much.. tongue

I realise this probably varies depending on the sounds but any idea would be helpful or indeed leads where literal newbie like myself can get around these problems and perhaps learn a few tricks.

Books,websites whatever .. though the free-er the better !

Thanks

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi,

When using the 'Results Ordering' Feature to filter the results by date.. The date is not displayed.

If you regulary browse and download from one particular category, it would be most useful to know the date it was added. As the categories become larger, it will become increasingly difficult to distinguish new files from the old ones.

Am I missing something? or do you recognise my point?

Many Thanks.

John

29 sounds
    24 posts

HOWDEE. First post! I am excited to find you folks!

Hi, name is Andrew. I live in Columbus, Ohio, and am always looking for someone to collaborate with. I've been a recording nerd for a LONG time, at least 30 years. Over the years, I've managed to have a great deal of fun recording noises and stuff. I still do very regularly, and have been keeping my own blog about it (noisefloor.org) Of course, it gets no traffic to speak of, but there are pictures of my stuff and clips of noises and even some music I've recorded, too. A co-worker gave me a link to this place, and I am glad of that. I actually don't have a working camera at the moment. I'll get one soon.

I am looking forward to getting to know some of you (no offense, but 400 thousand plus of you is a little too many to get to know, anyhow!)

Just a few days ago, I stuck a contact mic on a guy wire for a radio tower, and got some cool noises. It is the most recent post on my blog, in fact.

Thanks for listening!
    Andrew

37 sounds
    86 posts

cajo
    Bram

* university policy does not alow us to do this.

but it allows you to sell Tshirts and receive donations.

what do you think about this:
    - if you upload then you can download (even not 1 to 1, i.e. you upload 1 then download 5 or 10)
    - if you buy a Tshirt or make a donation then you'll have a number of samples to download
    - if you upload no samples (and make no donation nor buy a Tshirt) then you can't download - maybe only a few samples.

the goal is to improve users' activity and donations - it should sounds not like "to pay for samples" but "to contribute to the community". many users never upload a sample, only download: I have no points against such users, "Free" is a main concept to me - but "energy balance" too, you give then you take, "sharing" is a two way activity. users which upload could go on without thinking about money. and sometime the community could offer interesting packs to everybody.
    I understand that upload-download management is a complex task which asks for resources in time and people - hard to do but not impossible, revenues could pay back the efforts.

I anyway like the idea of more banners of sites technically and thematically related to FreeSound

You could consider selling a special rank? Ex. Super Member forum rank for $10 and it gives you extended privileges of some sort?

37 sounds
    86 posts

dobroide
    Hasn¡t anybody suggested giving the whole database to Google for their new service, Googlesounds? weirdhock:

(Its a joke)

This site gets indexed so fast if you google Googlesounds this page shows up .lol

3055 sounds
    476 posts

Hasn¡t anybody suggested giving the whole database to Google for their new service, Googlesounds? weirdhock:

(Its a joke)

103 sounds
    191 posts

Bram

* university policy does not alow us to do this.

but it allows you to sell Tshirts and receive donations.

what do you think about this:
    - if you upload then you can download (even not 1 to 1, i.e. you upload 1 then download 5 or 10)
    - if you buy a Tshirt or make a donation then you'll have a number of samples to download
    - if you upload no samples (and make no donation nor buy a Tshirt) then you can't download - maybe only a few samples.

the goal is to improve users' activity and donations - it should sounds not like "to pay for samples" but "to contribute to the community". many users never upload a sample, only download: I have no points against such users, "Free" is a main concept to me - but "energy balance" too, you give then you take, "sharing" is a two way activity. users which upload could go on without thinking about money. and sometime the community could offer interesting packs to everybody.
    I understand that upload-download management is a complex task which asks for resources in time and people - hard to do but not impossible, revenues could pay back the efforts.

I anyway like the idea of more banners of sites technically and thematically related to FreeSound

3055 sounds
    476 posts

digifishmusic
    BTW: What mics are you using? I am looking for more...already have...

Rode NT4, Pair of NT5s, NT1-A, Pair of Behringer C2s, Audio Technica AT825 and a Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2...gimme, gimme!

digifish

Just two Sennheisers, MKH60 and MKH30. Oh, and a pair of OKM binaurals. No, I'm not particularly crazy for damn expensive gear, and if cumbersome to carry around just hate it.

Now that I come to think of it, likely the gear of my dreams would be that used by freesounder klankshap (722 + a pair of DPA4060)... if the DPAs had the low noise and sensitivity of the MKHs smile

D

606 sounds
    276 posts

dobroide
    Yeah, I'm also in love with my Shure FP24 which is identical to your Mixpre. The combination Fostex + FP24 I've been using lately sounds perfect, just way too heavy and bulky. And once you sum their costs not far from the 722, so... only way to go. As for the 744, I'm not so crazy... yet! smile

D

BTW: What mics are you using? I am looking for more...already have...

Rode NT4, Pair of NT5s, NT1-A, Pair of Behringer C2s, Audio Technica AT825 and a Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2...gimme, gimme!

digifish

3055 sounds
    476 posts

Erdie
    Hi D,

I know some friends looking for a FR2LE, where do you come from? Could it be an issue to ship to germany?

-Erdie

Not at all, shipping from Spain, the parcel would rate around 15 Euro, I guess
    Erdie, please tell your friends to have a look at the advertisement here:
    http://dobroide.googlepages.com/fostexfr2leforsale

Thank you

D

163 sounds
    135 posts

Hi D,

I know some friends looking for a FR2LE, where do you come from? Could it be an issue to ship to germany?

-Erdie

3055 sounds
    476 posts

Yeah, I'm also in love with my Shure FP24 which is identical to your Mixpre. The combination Fostex + FP24 I've been using lately sounds perfect, just way too heavy and bulky. And once you sum their costs not far from the 722, so... only way to go. As for the 744, I'm not so crazy... yet! smile

D

0 sounds
    35 posts

can anybody help me here please?????

606 sounds
    276 posts

dobroide
    digifishmusic
    Interesting. What did you buy to replace it?

digifish.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/722.htm Don't have it yet

Awesome. I have a SoundDevices MixPre, built like a tank, thoughtfully designed and the preamps design is perfect and the lowest noise I have experienced. Joy to use. The 772 is an excellent choice...the only choice? well... there's....

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/744t.htm

then you could run two pairs of stereo mics simultaneously...is there no end to our gear lust? wink

digifish

3055 sounds
    476 posts

digifishmusic

digifish.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/722.htm Don't have it yet

795 sounds
    273 posts

I've got a couple hundred megs of .wav samples that I want to convert to ogg's to save space.
    Is there any freeware I can use to convert that many files all at one time?

also, just wondering but I'm pretty sure that ogg's are the format that takes up least space, right?

thanks grin

606 sounds
    276 posts

digifish.

795 sounds
    273 posts

Sample pack of oneshots you might find usefull:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=2200

Some more oneshots, tomtoms + timbales:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=2070&start=45

17 sounds
    224 posts

Straight Outta Compton, crazy motherfuckin' name Ice Cube, from the gang called Niggaz With Attitude.... Classic.