Forums

0 sounds
    5 posts

Sorry, must mind my manners and use paras. See!

I am trying to upload the file with a little difficulty, when I do, I should post the url.

I don't know what the forum policy is, if I cannot upload here, can I use another site say megaupload.com?

Thanks allya

deinbofa

0 sounds
    1 post

I read on the site that sounds cannot be used for commercials. Therefore, my question becomes, is a (non-profit) Public Service Announcement, that does NOT sell anything but a message for social good, be considered a commercial? If it is not considered a commercial, then can I follow the standard clauses and protocols on this site without having to contact each sound creator?

Do let me know your thoughts?

Jeff

68 sounds
    32 posts

Bram
    increase the quality knob then it becomes less metallic smile
    Always at 100%. The metallic aspect of the sound can be cut off by lowering frequencies, but that also screws everything. I will bring my computer with my microphone into a tunnel and will record there, so I get a real verb. smile

121 sounds
    1552 posts

increase the quality knob then it becomes less metallic smile

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

It depends. If the piece of music is clearly recognizable from the part, I tend to disallow...

I just did not pass a file from another uploader which had a radio playing in the background.

As a final thing: we moderate files but we can not claim perfection. What I mean is: I'm quite sure there are a few copyrighted works on freesound that we missed.
    Moderation isn't that much to protect freesound (in case of a breach of copyright and notification we will take down all material that breaches!), but rather to protect the uploader.

There are quite a few kids out there that don't really understand copyright: for young kids copyright is something completely abstract.
    I hear it on the radio, I can record it, I can download it from soneone's blog, but.... one of those actions is illegal???

In case of doubt, I would say no.

We don't ban people on freesound (except spammers grin) so you could go ahead, upload it and see what happens wink

- bram

68 sounds
    32 posts

What I dislike about the Ambience, more precisely, is the metallic sound it produces.

68 sounds
    32 posts

Thank you, Adam, for your reply.

adamstrange
    Sounds abit like an old spring reverb.
    What is a spring reverb?

adamstrange
    Don't forget,its not just the "REVERB" but also they may have EQ'ed it and of course your listening to the final mastered loop so that has a lot to do with it.
    I've tried pitch-shifting, EQ-ing, processing, both the reverb only and the whole sound... nothing. Mastering, hmm. I just don't feel that such a verb can be achieved by mastering.

adamstrange
    Also the loop is not drenched in reverb so keeping it real short helps to make it sound more natural.
    What do you mean keeping it real short? Short reverb (decay time)? Also, the loop is not drenched, but the reverb is quite rich and quite expressive. It's like drenched in reverb, but somehow the reverb is at the background.

adamstrange
    Check out the freeware reverb plugin Ambience...
    I must be splay or something - everyone recommends me the Ambience plugin and I cannot get anything but shit from it. It just sounds awfully, no matter what parameters I put in. And there is not one preset that sounds good for drums. I'm definitely going to give it yet another try.

231 sounds
    129 posts

this is a tricky one no?

i'd go out on a limb here - I'd say that if your recording was a fair use then how can they sue - i.e it must be obviously be "passing" sound ... how prominent - is it muffled? However freesound project might have to be a bit more careful than the following example.

imagine you made a documentary about night club bouncers - you interviewed them out side a club - and music spilled into the interviews - there's no way justin timberlake could ask for royalties - however if you started to use parts of that recording as music then trouble begins..

So if you recorded a pretty clean output of a speaker and was just that one song then you have crossed a line..

I reckon put it up - the moderators will decide - ( they turned one of my recordings down - but they still let me hang out here....)

121 sounds
    1552 posts

hehehe, neat post smile

more people should do this!

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

not related, but I think the greatest sound ever used in any movie is the sound of the huge machine-guns in aliens (the 2nd movie in the series).

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2468/vasquez2.wav [warning: crappy, lofi, and illegal wave file. do not download listen or play, buy movie at amazon or something.]

wink

Actually there are so many auditory scenes in Aliens2 that it's my all-time favorite auditory-experience scifi movie.

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

musipedia has a good point though.

On OSX try in terminal: traceroute sitename
    On Windows try in cmd.exe: tracert sitename

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

good idea, but will be done in nightingale (see the blog for more info).

- bram

0 sounds
    2 posts

Hello there,

I need a hi-quality Snare Stereo sample along the lines of Modest Mouse recordings. Anyone please help!

0 sounds
    6 posts

ok if somebody have the time to do this i need:
    a phone ring to ring about 4 times( the tone that you hear when you are calling someone on the phone) then right after that I need a this message: "leave a message after the tone" and the the beep (id prefer a female voice if possible)

Thanks

433 sounds
    197 posts

Sorry if this sounds too pushy but you'll have to be a little more specific in your request. If you let us know what the recording will be used for that would be a start. Do you want the chains to be large? Small? Do you want the sound to be reverberant or flat? How long of a duration is desirable?
    Are the rocks large or small? On what surface should they be breaking? Concrete? Dirt? Leaves?

If you'd like to get the most for your money (figure or speech...this is FREEsound) then it is preferable to be specific in the sound you need. Someone could post a sound that is completely useless to you which means that they have just wasted their time recording and posting it and you still need a good sound to use for your production. It's better to be overly specific than overly general.

433 sounds
    197 posts

Lots of times the sounds will be a massive collage of different sounds. The sound of the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars was a combination of about 10 different jets and rocket sounds layer on top of each other. I'm sure that the roar of King Kong in the Peter Jackson film has a few layers of lions, maybe wild boar, tigers, basically any large predatory mammal capable of a beastly roar.
    Actually just today I was watching some special features on the Monsters Inc DVD about sound design. They added in faint screaming sound to the cars that drive by because the main power source for the monster civilization is children's screams. In the beginning scenes there are a few monsters with large tentacles that walk over the polished floors of an office building and the sound they used for that was the sound designer's lips flapping around...

0 sounds
    24 posts

Yeah really. The creativity of it is awsome.

Actually I looked it up and I found this interview with the composer of the Godzilla film.
    http://monsterzero.us/editorials/editorials.php?catID=Int&subCatID=6&contentID=8.

One of the questions it asks was how the sound was made. And the composer actually made the sound using a contrabass. Pretty cool.

I also like the T-rex sound.

What do you think of the new peterjackson king kong roars and growls. He doesn't really have a signiture roar like the other monsters,It's not real unique.
    He has more of a beastly mesh sounding roar. But it's powerful nonetheless.

0 sounds
    31 posts

Sounds abit like an old spring reverb.

Don't forget,its not just the "REVERB" but also they may have EQ'ed it and of course your listening to the final mastered loop so that has a lot to do with it.

Also the loop is not drenched in reverb so keeping it real short helps to make it sound more natural.

Check out the freeware reverb plugin Ambience but if you have Reaktor then you can't pass up their awesome REV6 reverb .

I've read that some have bought the software ,not for the synths and samplers but only just for this reverb.

0 sounds
    31 posts

I would have to say that the number one monster sound of all time,hands down its...GODZILLA.

There is nothing that even comes close.

To this day I still would like to know how they created that roar.

44 sounds
    22 posts

Ok, thanks.

-- steve