Forums

1366 sounds
    123 posts

Welcome to freesound.

0 sounds
    2 posts

Hello everybody,

I'm from Austria and I find yoursite as a big community in which I want to be part of. Nice that you have an open forum smile
    I wish you all the best.

0 sounds
    10 posts

Thanks for sharing with us.

45 sounds
    46 posts

... and people are still enjoying it in 2008 - at least I did. The sound track was very good.

35 sounds
    1 post

I just wrote about using my camera (Canon Powershot S2is) as a field recorder:
    someaudioguy.blogspot.com/2007/12/makeshift-field-recorder-your-digital.html

If you have a camera that does stereo sound when in camcorder mode, chances are it'll have an audio only mode. I wouldn't recommend buying a camera just for this though wink.

And samples here:
    someaudioguy.blogspot.com/2007/12/in-response-to-using-your-camera-as.html

0 sounds
    6 posts

THANKYOU SO MUCH for the responses,

Sorry i didn't get straight back; was away for the week!

Corsica S, Thanks to you and your girlfriend, this sounds great; I'll try playing with it and send you results! How could I tip you?

Fresh G, Yeah why not A barry white voice could be great fun!

0 sounds
    6 posts

I'm reading my previous post, I apologize for my bad english :roll:

is there any news about the project? grin

0 sounds
    3 posts

can any 1 help me im lookin 4 grime samples/sounds

anybody knw where i can find sum?

let me knw plz

thanks

102 sounds
    25 posts

Hi, like it - minimalistic and subtle. All the best.

0 sounds
    20 posts

Thanks guys! I know I can always count on you smile

42 sounds
    22 posts

sounds, noises, or even silence are all them part of music ERH... wink

thanks a lot by enjoy these themes, sometimes listening is a beautiful pleasure

and stackat, sorry but I don't understand too much about genres, u can tag it like u want... weird

thanks to all the ones who have listened this because u are the reason of this ep

peace, b happy wink

Kinhos! (aka PerlssDj)
    http://perlssdj.blogspot.com

121 sounds
    1545 posts

~ox{,

Alternatively you could post here trying to figure out of anyone in your neighborhood has some of this material.
    Although I admit, freesound is a very global - an very little "local" - so your chances are small, but still worth a shot.
    That way you could try with various types of recording material?

- bram

45 sounds
    46 posts

I agree (without owning one): Luftrum's forest recording with the H2 sounded very good.

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47989

24 sounds
    41 posts

~ox{
    Here is the scenario:

I live in the wilderness near a waterfall that is named Singing Falls. It really does sing due to special rock formations and acoustical conditions.

I am interested in recording these sounds but I do not have any equipment to do it. I did a DVD recording of the falls but the singing was drowned out by other sounds. The sound of the singing is that of Native American music.

I am a linux OS user and I have an audigy 2 zs card on board.

Please tell me of a reasonably priced recording instrument that could do the job I am seeking to do and where to get it. Nothing professional since that would probably be out of my price range I am assuming???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you, I think I would go with a Zoom H2 or something similar to that. A little more than $ 200, it is a very cheap and relatively good recording equiment. If it was me recording those, I would go with... a TetraMic and a good 4 track recorder... a little bit more expensive...

Keep me posted!

0 sounds
    2 posts

Thanks for the reply Steve.

In particular Singing Falls makes a distinct Native American drumming sound. I have been able to lower the high pitch tones from a dvd audio file and catch the drumming but I'd like to be able to get it straight out of the gate.

I have been doing some reading on equipment but it obviously going to take some time to do my "homework".

121 sounds
    1545 posts

Hello Everyone,

After much talking and thinking and more talking with various people, including Xavier Serra (MTG's director) it looks like from march 2008 I will start working on freesound "2.0" with the help from various people. Development will be paid with the Google research grant we wrote about a few weeks back.

The development for freesound 2.0 (someone, invent a codename please I don't want to be talking about "2.0"wink will be written from zero, but will of course keep the data from the old site, and all user accounts will obviously be translated. Some things will have to go, some new things will appear.

Currently these are some of the unorganized thoughts about the matter.

• all the code will be PUBLIC and released under the gnu public license (v2 or 3, not sure yet)
    • obviously we will add all the highly wanted features that we have been talking about for so long. This includes the usage of 3 different licenses (public domain, attribution and attribution non-commercial), embedding of the sounds in other pages (add your freesound files to ... your blog), adding images to your sounds etc etc.
    • the forum will be replaced by a hand-coded forum. This is good and bad: bad because it means more work, good because we don't need to depend on phpBB anymore.
    • all development will be done using the python framework called django: http://www.djangoproject.com/
    • freesound has grown out of its initial parameters, so we will try to make the website more easily scalable.
    • a new an fresh skin/design most likely created in collaboration with http://onedotonly.be but this is still in discussion.
    • sound playback with soundmanager2 http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/
    • search capability with Apache Solr http://lucene.apache.org/solr/

Please do not reply to this post with feature requests and things like that as we will talk about that later. I will probably make a new forum for discussion of anything related with it.

As for myself, I'm happy that MTG has decided to use the Google research grant for this purpose. I am also very happy to be able to work on freesound again as a developer (rather than just replying forum posts and hundreds of emails per week). And, I am very happy to hear that MTG has allowed me to work on freesound while keeping the source GPL, that is probably the best that could happen to freesound right now!!

Last but certainly not least: if there are any experienced web developers who know python and-or django who want to give us a hand... you are more than welcome to do so wink

- bram

45 sounds
    46 posts

i've used everything from cheap $30 recorders to numerous high-fidelity audio recorders. In general, if I can hear it, any of these will record it. A common problem is that even with expensive, professional equipment, wind, blowing across a mike, often masks other sounds. That's why the pros use wind shields.

Also consider that the possibility that the perception is a psychoacoustic effect and, thus, not currently transferable to an electronic audio recording. In photography, for example, there is often a subjective mood, feeling, or interpretation of an actual scene that is, after the fact, lost in the print. Reality and it's very best documentation are often miles apart because of differences in context, listening environments, personal interest, etc.

However, I'm sure we would all enjoy listening to a good recording of Singing Falls. SO study up, as we all do, and, if this challenge eats away at you long enough, you too will buy what you have to buy to scratch the itch!

0 sounds
    1 post

A quick question, hope you don't mind that it's unrelated to sounds -

What technology does The Freesound Project use to provide suggestions for searches with misspelled words. Is that something custom built or an out-of-the box solution?

Thanks!

163 sounds
    137 posts

Hi all,

there could be annother reason for someone to upload a mp3 instead of an uncompressed format: I you have, for instance, a mobile recorder which is only capable to write mp3 (i had such a device) you propably want to upload this without decompressing. Everybody can decompress it. But if the uploader does it before uplodaing, and the downloader want to recreate an mp3 from it, the result will be a file which was already: Encoded -> decoded -> encoded. And this would not be reasonable at all, right?

And concerning the popularity of flac, i think many users do not know how to deal with this kind of file which prevent them form downloading. A possible solution could a a Java applet which is capable to decode flac to wav and placed on the site. Due to this would be a client operation no server load will be generated. Would this be realistic?

-Erdie

1366 sounds
    123 posts

I like this a lot - the hardest thing is to maintain the minimalism and not keep adding sounds. Not to everyone's taste clearly but personally I love to hear people blurring those areas where sound, noise, and music come together. More please!
    http://www.postimage.org/aVNoFEr.jpg