Forums

52 sounds
    10 posts

Thanks Robinhood for pointing that out. Although you will agree that using "" is more near to the "programmers'" world than to the "music/audio" world: as a matter of fact I see very few tags containing spaces... maybe just casual.
    What I meant was also to push people to use tags with spaces (like in the examples I made). Anyhow probably your post can help people - like me wink - learn better how freesound works and use it even better

Lorenzo

1509 sounds
    109 posts

If you put all your words of one tag between this "" you have tag with spaces. Spaces are visible by this sign - . so i thin this is very clear system smile

52 sounds
    10 posts

Hi to all freesounders.

[edit from first post]

I noticed that freesound has few tags with spaces. So there are tags like "field-recording" but little more. Don't you think there should be more use tags with spaces? For example to add (and eventually search for) "english horn" or "bass guitar" or even "classical guitar" etc.
    I imagine that completely "free" tags might lead to noise if misused (you could get tag strings like "me telling off at the dog as it was trying to sit on the bed" etc.), but I guess this is not a big problem because freesound allows for more descriptive comments as well as tags. Also sound publication is moderated which would help in maintaining good practices for tagging.

[first post which I admit was probably not 100% clear wink ]
    I noticed that freesound has no tags with spaces. So there are many tags like "field-recording" instead of "field-recording". Don't you think there should be the possibility to use tags with spaces? For example to add (and eventually search for) "english horn" or "bass guitar" or even "classical guitar" etc.
    I imagine that completely "free" tags might lead to noise if misused (you could get tag strings like "me telling off at the dog as it was trying to sit on the bed" etc.), but I guess this is not a big problem because freesound allows for more descriptive comments as well as tags. Also sound publication is moderated which would help in maintaining good practices for tagging.

Kind regards,
    Lorenzo

121 sounds
    1552 posts

by the way - if you guys have any comments about the usability, the design, whatever, NOW is the time to speak up!

ejfortin: try to do a CLEAN install of firefox: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox#On_Windows (make sure you read all the steps and make sure you don't lose your bookmarks).Also try running a spyware checker like Spyware Search and Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html )

- bram

0 sounds
    5 posts

It retrospect if you compile it with float support, it may only give you the fftw3f library. I had recompiled the library a few separate times to get to that point, and so I have both.

I will amend my tutorial with your information.

0 sounds
    1 post

Cajo asked if there were any programs that can find the difference between two audio signals. The answer is yes, any multi-track audio editor worth it's salt can do that (Audacity is open source, hint hint).

Just line the two files up, invert one of them and then mix the two together. The result is (signal A) - (signal B). If the two signals are audibly identical, but one has a watermark, the final product of mixing those two signals will be the watermark by itself, surrounded by silence.

You do have to be careful to line the files up properly though. I don't know of any automated way to do that. Remember that different formats may add or subtract a handful of leading samples at the beginning of a file, so you've got to zoom way in to be sure you're lined up.

3092 sounds
    479 posts

tested with Firefox 3.0a8 (Gran Paradiso) on Linux, works fine

0 sounds
    2 posts

hehey thanks for the quick help grin

101 sounds
    99 posts

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=24053

0 sounds
    2 posts

Hello,I canĀ“t speak English very well,but I hope ,you can help me:
    I need an censure sound like that you know from TV when someone says a bad word.
    Hope you can help me :wink:

Sincerely, HyperGumba

44 sounds
    99 posts

just trying to give feedback on the new player that's all. It does seem to be working on other computers on my network. I just can't figure out what is causing my computers problem.

121 sounds
    1552 posts

ejfortin, let's not turn this thread into a tech support thread wink it's almost entirely certain that it's a local problem on your pc. Can you try a different machine on the same network? The screenshot looks just fine. Make sure you close all other WINDOWS as well. Try restarting your PC, open *one* window, then go to the test page.

- bram

95 sounds
    4 posts

nah i like em, amusing. just made me think uhh

44 sounds
    99 posts

i just pinged yahoo.com and freesound.iua.upf.edu to see how different they were. Yahoo pinged at 43ms and freesound was right around 800ms. I don't know if this has something to do with it? The rest of the site is not slow for me though, and I can preview the wave file instantaneously.

44 sounds
    99 posts

I have tried both internet explorer and firefox 2.0.0.13. I am pretty sure this is the most up to date version of firefox. I also downloaded the latest version of flash just to make sure. I got it here from this link.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

I restarted the browser and tried it again using this new player. This time I could play the very bottom sound but none of the others worked. You can see this in the screen shot at:

http://www.ericfortin.com/freesoundss.jpg

The bottom sound played I then tried to play any of the other sounds and I would just get this "waiting for freesound.iau.upf.edu" Once I get this it just sits there. This is the same problem I have with the current player on freesound. I hit play and nothing happens. I have let it sit for a long time and nothing happens. I have a cable connection to the internet which is fast. What makes even less sense is that when I click the "DOWNLOAD" button I can listen to the full format quicktime preview playing the actual wave file instantaneously. This is how I have to listen to all previews for sounds on the site. Every once in a great while a preview does work. I am shocked when it happens, but then it goes right back to not working.

121 sounds
    1552 posts

completely updated version:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/files/player/player.html

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

VEXST,

people who have uploaded sounds on freesound are able to tag other people's tags (their tags show up normal, the original users tags show up in bold).

If you want you can just delete the tags you don't like.

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

ejfortin: can you make sure flash is installed on your computer and that you don't have some kind of flash blocker application installed? What browser are you using? Screen shots are always good. Although there is no visible flash player on the page, there really is a one-pixel flash player somewhere hidden smile

Corsica_s: right now there is no "pause", it's play>stop>play. I thought that now that we have the "forwarding into sound" bit we don't really need pause. But it seems you are not the only person who wants pause. The thing with the "when I hit stop it starts where I last clicked on the progress bar", that's a bug and needs fixing. The only problem with pause is that (imho) you need a rewind button. Looping will always suck, there is no way to make flash loop like it should (this is because the mp3 decoder in flash is a bit silly and adds silence after decoded mp3's)

I think this is what we will do:

1. have 4 regions on top for both players:
    [rewind] [play/pause] [loop on/off] [time]

2. have a 10 pixel progress bar on top of the image (10 top pixels)

- bram

3113 sounds
    312 posts

I tested on Safari 3.0.4, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and IE for Mac (haha).
    Safari: Everything works, in order to move the playhead I have to click where I want it to go, maybe its not possible but it would seem more intuitive to "grab" the playhead and slide it to where I want it. Also, when you hit stop/pause, the time goes back to 00:00, while I feel like it should stay at wherever the playhead is, since when you hit play again it starts from where you left off. Also, when you hit stop/pause the playhead disappears or goes back to the start, then jumps back when you hit play (like the numbers). When I first tried it earlier today I noticed that if I played one of the small sounds, the time changed in the big one, but that isn't happening any longer.

Firefox: Everything I said about Safari applies here.

IE: Well, the play/stop buttons don't show up at all so I can't get the sounds to play or do anything else. But its a dead browser so it probably doesn't matter.

Other comments: I would like to hear how well this player loops sounds, with the chosen ones there is no real way to tell if there is a pause in the loop due to the nature of the sounds, perhaps a drum beat or something with instant sound at the start and end. It would also be interesting to see how it does with a single waveform loop, such as this one since in the current player one can't really get a sense of what it actually sounds like.

95 sounds
    4 posts

its class, but im confused cus i dident do it and i dont get whats going on, also i think who ever did it was being abit harsh but amen is anoying as f#%k i agree.