Forums

0 sounds
    7 posts

Hi,

so the question arises:

Which one shall i use for sound producing, PC or Mac ?

It really doesn't matter, because linux runs on both of them, and twice as fast as XP/OsX (and with a MUCH smaller memory fingerprint), so you won't need to upgrade your computer.

Also, with linux you have a full set of advanced audio tools and plugins (including JACK for real-time audio processing - did you ever wanted to buy that 'roland' pedal for your guitar ? wait no longer: install linux, it comes for free...), and it works easily with all your VST's.

:idea: Just give it a try: Ubuntu Studio Download the iso, and burn a CD, its free and its legal software.

(hmm... evangelist? me? ... no)

0 sounds
    1 post

soundscapes,

Nice idea! Just read your post from the 20th, and I can share some pointers as I have a little experience in this area.

Regarding Bell/Gong: Gongs are rarely, if ever, used. A garden may or may not have a bell, but a temple almost certainly would. Traditional Japanese temple bells are very large (often as much as 2 meters tall!), very resonant, and have a very long sustain (easily 8-10 seconds!). (I know of one in Portland, OR, at the Oregon Convention Center, but I don't live there at present.)

Regarding Chanting: Gardens, never. Temples, common, but usually fairly quiet, so most any "chanting" sound could work.

Regarding Raking Sand: White noise, with moderate fades and pauses for each stroke. At a temple, the sand in a garden is usually raked once or twice a day.

Regarding People talking: Gardens and temples, it almost never happens, and when it does it's very quiet. (Unless you are in a "tourist" garden.)

Regarding Footsteps: Definitely! Just make sure they are slow, deliberate steps. Also, most larger Japanese gardens have some gravel pathways specifically so visitors hear the sound of their own footsteps. In a garden, there will be pauses as the visitor takes in each new view. In a temple, very few pauses.

Regarding Music: Any traditional Japanese instrument may be heard in a garden, (less common in temples), but only on special occasions. (Religious festivals, etc.)

In general, Zen gardens and temples are very quiet places. Of course the usual nature sounds will be present, and it is not unusual for temples and gardens to be found in urban settings, with the usual ruckus in the background. Water sounds are common in larger gardens, and almost any garden that has water will have a Shishi Odhoshi, and I would say that it is the most clearly identifiable sound associated with Japanese gardens. (There is also an excellent Japanese garden in Portland, OR with a Shishi Odhoshi. Anyone live in that area?)

Also, a garden of any size will probably be designed so that most sounds have a fair amount of reverb.

Good luck, and let me know how it turns out!

0 sounds
    7 posts

Hi,

what about trying some open-source software ? wink

Hydrogen - Advanced Drum Machine and

Ardour - Digital Audio Workstation (or its windows equivalent: Traverso )

With those two you have yourself a free setup that is comparable to the some of the comercial tools out there. You could also try Ubuntu Studio that comes with lots of other powerfull tools (not only musical ones), and with a fully configured JACK plugin for your 0-latency projects wink

795 sounds
    273 posts

I think it is sampleswap that has a feature where one can create an "add-to-cart"-like option where they can create a qeue for individual files they want to download, then "check-out" the samples and download them.

I thought this would be nice, as there are many ridiculously short recordings that could be used for loops, and sometimes one might like one or two drum samples from a specific pack, and one or two from another drum pack.

just an idea, maybe add a check box next to the preview when searching.

Even if it is something simple like listing all the download links on one "check-out" page instead of creating individual packs. I guess it would be convenient too, though, for users to create their own "playlist"-like .rar files to be stored for half an hour or so in a temporary server.

just an unrelated question but how many of freesound's current features were suggested by members?

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hi,

I'm investigating the possibility of integrating a freesound browser into the Ardour workstation. It's close to working, but the network protocol doesn't seem to match what Mootcher expects. I've put some printouts inside the Mootcher code to see if I can figure out why it doesn't work.

First, I try to login.
    Mootcher sends:
    username=BenLoftis&password=XXXX&login=1&redirect=%2E%2E%2Ftests%2Flogin%2Ephp
    freesound replies:
    login

Mootcher is searching for the the word "logged" to trigger that the login was succesful. It looks like the timing is off, or the protocol has been changed. I changed the check to use "login" instead and then continued as if that was correct.

Next I try to do a search for "120", using the searchText function.
    Mootcher sends:
    search=120&durationMin=0.01&durationMax=60.00&bitrate=1&bitdepth=1&samplerate=1
    freesound replies:
    <freesound>
    </freesound>

I'm not sure if I get an empty set because my login failed, or the searchText function is broken, or both.

The Mootcher docs say I should post questions to iua-mail.upf.es/mailman/listinfo/freesound-dev but that list doesn't exist. Is there anyone here who can help me??

Thanks in advance,

-Ben Loftis

20 sounds
    25 posts

What exactly don't you want from a cellphone? Any ringtone or any uni-directional talking?
    Plus: Although you mention to use a recording from any country, here in Austria the driver says something similar to "Train is departing" (in german) shortly before closing the doors -- is that ok?

0 sounds
    9 posts

Just giving this thread a bump.

Has anyone found a way to record Shishi odoshi sounds?

Thanks!

434 sounds
    230 posts

I am looking for some really dewcent binaural recordings of how a subway train arrives, doors open, passengers enter / leave the subway, doors close and the subway departs. Anyone up for the task recording some for me? I don't just need US subways, it can be subways from all around the world that has this features included. I could also use an idle loop when there is no train at the station. People talking etc etc. I've found a few similar sounds here, but I need more of 'em. Note that a recording from a cellphone will simply kill the magic in this soundscape I'm creating.

0 sounds
    16 posts

thanks for your neat responses guys i am running on home edition of xp. i have come to the conclusion to upgrade the pc and just stick with what i am doing and the 2 programs i am using i have beard in mind u don't become a pro overnight it takes a lot of time to get to wer u wana go not in everyones case tho rite thanks guys

62 sounds
    9 posts

Here's what I uploaded yesterday

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47383

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47382

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47381

As I said, you can clearly hear human sounds so maybe they wont serve but I hope they are useful to someone anyway

Have you tried www.soundsnap.com there is one sample there of an orchestra tuning that might interest you

Best,
    Angel

1366 sounds
    123 posts

WELCOME TO FREESOUND!

Good luck with the exams - look forward to some uploads.

1366 sounds
    123 posts

Dead right - this "accidental" combination of sounds is more perfect than one could ever make deliberately - evocative and compelling. I always try when I make longer sound constructs, images, or writing to allow the individual components some freedom by randomisation in some form. The great innovator William Burroughs said it best - he was a pioneer of the cut-up method of creation but, unlike the Dada movement who used purely random methods, Burroughs selected his material carefully and used the random juxtapositions of cut-ups as a jumping off point . He said that, in this way, his work mirrored life which, however much you think you are in control, will inevitably come along and cut your plans and expectations up into little pieces.

Thanks for the post - thought provoking again.

1366 sounds
    123 posts

Nice selection of sounds there - impressive and a good range of styles. Love the lo-fi sound on some of the tracks - reminiscent of Boards of Canada. Only criticism is that some tracks just seem like truncated versions of longer pieces and it would be great to hear full versions - also the website looks like internet archive and I reckon your music should be displayed with better visuals - it deserves it.

But excellent stuff and thanks for thr credit - you really have put my owl sound to great use by tweaking it.

0 sounds
    1 post

MetroSonics
    Does anybody know where I can get the sound of the electrical shocker device used to stimulate peoples hearts during a heart attack? I think it's called a difribulator or something...

oooo yeah I need that sound effect too... :!:

0 sounds
    7 posts

Hello,

im new in this forum, and here goes a suggestion:

it would be great to use OpenID to login to this site. I think the openID philosophy fits nicely with the one of this site.

Thanks for your great work.

0 sounds
    7 posts

Hello,
    I'm a Portuguese computer science student, I love to code, and i love to play guitar. My main musical styles are Bossa Nova, Fado, and Flamenco.
    I've found this amazing site! And it even has a forum! smile this is great! This is the best reason i have to buy a jack a record some sounds for the community!

I'm eager to finish the exams and start producing stuff!

Thanks for this smile

0 sounds
    215 posts

sure,

but I want to release that with
    the less problems possible
    and some additionnal options,
    for now It give real exellent/good result
    but this is just an centroid computation

tongue

now i need some minor info from Bram
    and I must finalize minor things
    but everything will be done after the
    Bram"s travel I hope

cool

185 sounds
    79 posts

Recently I posted a reading of Randall Jarrell's "Death of the Ball Turret Gunner on Freesound. Today I came across Sea Fury's 8th Air Force Base, East Anglia, UK, 1944.wav which I mixed a portion with my reading with reverb to create the imoression of a spirit wandering through the hanger lamenting being washed from the turret with a hose when he died. I called it the Ghost of the Ball Turret Gunner.

The file was still on the clipboard when I was working with Sea Fury's excellent mix of vintage War Planes flying by and I created a rather eerie remix by accident where I could faintly hear the original gradually being drowned out by the sound of aircraft as they passed by the hanger until the original sound was totally gone.

http://www.mikevendetti.com/images/Ghost_of_the_Ball_Turret_Gunner2.mp3

I think my accident created a far more powerful sound image. Life goes on. Wounds heal, and eventually we are all but forgotten.

0 sounds
    3 posts

How about using Stienbergs Cubase 4 and using the Battery VST, this is what I use and I find it really nice and easy to programme grin

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hi Guys

My name is Bruno i'm from England (UK) I am a producer and vocalist, I have added to myspace a track that uses a sample I downloaded from Free Sound.

Please check it out and let me know what you think grin

www.myspace.com/mctopnotch

Regards

Bru