Forums

0 sounds
    17 posts

this is a fucking awesome idea. cool

3092 sounds
    479 posts

@lysander, nice link, beautiful images, thank you!
    @cajo, dunno if the editing soft I use has this feature (substracting one sound files from another), I'll check

and @acclivity, I catch what you say (albeit intuitively, technicalities surpass me). In fact I tried to do something similar with the mosquito alert sound ( http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2804&start=0 ) without much success...

cheers

13 sounds
    12 posts

Count me in, is there a deadline for this ?????

When you say rain does that exclude thunder ???

exp(1) = 2.718282 which equates to the 2 min 43seconds and 96.9098 milliseconds

exp(i1) = sin(1) + icos(1) this then gives the following cartesian coordinates
    exp(i1) = 0.841471 + i 0.540302

48 sounds
    16 posts

im in Scotland, what is it your wanting? if i canny help i canny help :lol: but i can try? is there anything ye wanted said aye? i've even got a little gallic if your wanting that if ye dideny no bother.

16 sounds
    48 posts

Here are some that you might be able to manipulate:

An old piano twang
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=8951

Fence twang--the twang is very soft toward the beginning of this field recording, but again, you may be able to manipulate it.
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=31798

Stringed gourd
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=624

Rope and pully--might work well mixed in
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=40556

The metal fence sounds in this pack
    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=511

Search terms were fence, wire, metal, twang. Again...all would need some manipulation and I dunno how to do that. Happy sound hunting!

16 sounds
    48 posts

Good catch, soundhead! Chime tree--I forgot that was what that was called. So, lilu, you can also search on chime tree, or chime and glissando, and you come up with all those loverly magicky sounds. smile

546 sounds
    351 posts

Interesting stuff, Dobroide.

Something that occurs to me as a potential problem would be what happens if two watermarked files are mixed together ? There may be a possibility of the high frequency components beating together and producing audible erroneous lower frequency differences. e.g. if one watermark involved a frequency of 15 KHz and another 16 KHz at the same time offset, then a difference note of 1 Khz would appear in the mix.

0 sounds
    8 posts

Frogs, thunder, rain, babbling brook, birds

I visit an arboretum which has a pond full of frogs singing already as Spring approaches. Birds are all around as I walk along its paths. Also there is a creek nearby with rocks that create interesting sounds too.

If I want to record these in mono, I buy a shotgun mic, right?

If I want to record them in stereo, to listen on a stero, in the car, or on headphones, do I buy a stereo mic? ( I do not wish to buy 2 mics and have to set them up, and all of that)

I just found out the AT822 is a stereo mic.. how do i point it or level it if the frog sounds, or rain, is all around me or on 2 sides? And do you put the AT822 or another stereo mic on a tripod ?

See my problem is I can't decide between a stereo mic like the AT822 or SP-TFB-2 binaural mics. I want to record frogs, thunder, rain, footsteps, etc. in stereo for listening on headphones, in the car, in a stereo and can't decide which would be "better".

Thanks!

Thanks!!!

0 sounds
    3 posts

DrumAliens
    Great idea. What's the longest time it will playing for ?

the time it plays is the sum of the time of the 6 individual samples (+ some loading time). The myspace music players plays the 6 samples in a random order but only plays each one once....

3092 sounds
    479 posts

hey, thank you for the many compliments, I'm glad that this little idea may turn useful to recordists. There are few things I hate more than the absurd prices of so-called profesional gear...

Oh, and about absurdity again, I guess the most absurd thing I ever created is my nickname. Let my work serve to compensate my sin (i.e. forcing good people to type an odd word smile

Saludos

EDIT: Javier

103 sounds
    195 posts

dobroide
    But even if the mark was completely hidden, a bit-by-bit comparison of a tagged file vs a non-tagged one would reveal the difference, or so I guess.
    D

in computer graphic is easy to superimpose two digital images in "difference" mode: where the pixels have exactly the same RGB values, the "difference" mode shows black pixels (no difference = no data = RGB 0-0-0 = black). in this way one can easily see only the pixels that are different in the second image.

could we have the same in sound?
    does exist a tool that calculate the difference between two sound files giving the result as a sound file, instead of those inconprehensibobble esadecimal symbols?
    where there is no difference there will be silence - so the difference is audible.

if it's possible to have such result, then the Author could retain his original sound file and publish the wavemarked file -> the difference brings out the audible wavemark.
    (watermark = water = wave = wavemark)

45 sounds
    19 posts

Brilliant!

To go through this much effort making these and posting the procedure shows your dedication to field recording. (Plus the absurd amount of sounds you've uploaded).

Color me impressed.

0 sounds
    31 posts

You are free to remix and/or use the samples to make something of them, and then sell that, THAT is legal

Ok so from what I gather is that anyone can take a sound or several sounds from this site,create several tracks with those sounds and sell them as part of an original work but they cannot take that sound/sounds and create a sampling CD/DVD and sell that...Did I get this right ?

Well then if thats the case then this works exactly like the EJAY music software because at their site they tell you that you can use their software and or their sounds to release music for profit without even giving credit to them but you CANNOT bundle any of their sounds into a sampling CD/DVD for sale.

I think thats more than fair.

So does MikeJoel want to bundle some Freesound Project sounds with his program and sell it as 1 complete work or does he want to sell his program and provide the user with a link to the Freesound Project so the user can access sounds for the program ?

121 sounds
    1552 posts

We're planning to have some embeddable content in Nightingale. Check our blog for more info...

- bram

121 sounds
    1552 posts

here you go:

http://ccmixter.org/view/media/pells

- bram

0 sounds
    1 post

You are right - get the mix right first and the rest will follow more naturally. Mastering does not always improve the mix - mastering is the tool to get the songs aligned, and yes, make them more wider, and commercial sounding - but it is also a tool which can colour your opinion at the end - many musicians swaer that the recording they heard on the studio tape was better than what finally landed on their CD...

You need to mix the instruments around in a 3D field - pan instruments across the stereo field - with techno several drums sound better in mono or clustered together and everything else is stereo - imagine standing in a disco next to one loud box listening to a house beat which is in stereo - you would loose a lot of information as you cannot hear the other box.

Use reverb for depth and stereo - EQ will separate the stacked instruments that they do not compete in their own range - this is very important. Compression will bring up some levels which are thin, but might distort or becom eharsh. Every now and then you should monitor the track in MONO to see which sound or frequency is being suppressed etc.

Finally master your songs with a tool like Ozone to get a mild improvement on your mix and comapre it to commercial CDs - however do not use too much! Less is more!!!!!

Cheers Brett

0 sounds
    31 posts

I like the reverbed bleeps from the series but when Jack finishes his first intro your expecting the music to come in and it doesn't.

You could have brought in a really heavy kick and some HiHat work with a fat synthline and used the bleeps in the background.

0 sounds
    31 posts

Good work and I like the fact that this animation is not saturated in sounds.

What works for me is that the scenes with silence and a light breeze speaks out louder than the scenes with the music.

The only thing that kills the film is the compression rate used to stream it but I understand that there is nothing you can do about that.

I can just imagine how good this would look like without compression.

I guess the poor guys dies in the end when he still thinks he can fly ?

At least thats what I got from it because he was dreaming that he could fly.

I dream about flying all the time but only 1 time in my entire life did I have a dream that was so real [right down to the smell of things around me] that I woke up and found myself still in another dream.

I was able to fly in the second dream and this can be really dangerous because before I flew, I could not tell the difference between the real world and the dream world.

306 sounds
    74 posts

I imagine you need to look for artificial fur that has an open fabric, otherwise you loose some of the highest frequencies.

Herbert

15 sounds
    135 posts

what your looking for is an instrument called chimes I believe.

here's a sample pack:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=2789

I found it after doing a search for chimes. About 60 or so results in. There are about 300 other samples that match it that you could look through, if that pack doesn't work for you.(you'll probably have to go through some results that don't match up that well with what you want)