Forums

44 sounds
    22 posts

Ok Mike (alphahog),

I incorporated your sounds. You can pull the game out of CVS as described above.

The attribution.txt is here:
    http://bethewumpus.cvs.sourceforge.net/bethewumpus/bethewumpus/sounds/Attribution.txt?revision=1.3&view=markup

If that looks ok to you I'll make a new tarball for distribution.

I assumed a Creattive Commons Sampling plus 1.0 license... if that's not correct, let me know.

Thanks very much.

-- steve

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi,

I have a the same problem. I can't download any files. I have a Mac. Would it be the reason ?
    Thanks.

3113 sounds
    312 posts

I would like to help...

17 sounds
    224 posts

Yeah a poll would be a great idea.

0 sounds
    215 posts

lysander darkstar
    thanos- making a phonoautograph seems entirely possible actually after looking at some diagrams from the century dictionary. I wish I could do it but I've got a feeling my wife won't allow it as I should probably be job hunting instead of tinkering. Here is an enlarged picture of the diagram from the century dictionary. If anyone can figure out what that word ' and movable piece at a, by which the position of the _____ points can be regulated ;' is Please let me know, as I'm trying to make a restored copy of this Diagram and I honestly don't know what kind of points it's regulating
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3954/39392148dt3.th.png

the description of the invention is here:
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph#The_phonautograph

What I understand of that:
    is that the cylinder will concentrate the physical vibrations,
    into the metal key and more the pitch/frequency/cycles will be high,
    more dots will be drawn for the same time/duration/lenght on the paper,
    hope it was usefull...

338 sounds
    41 posts

uploaded an experiment myself -> http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=53841

comments and ratings are more than welcome :wink:

101 sounds
    99 posts

you could make a poll... don't forget gender.. i bet there are only like 8 females on here... and that they are all hot... (except the amputee midget)

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hello everybody, one more volunteer wink

P.S.: I think it could be interesting to give some info about volunteer knowledge, in order to give out the work.

4 sounds
    31 posts

markos stratos
    Know where i can get them or what user's i should be looking at?????

I produce these kinds of music. How can I help ya?

3095 sounds
    479 posts

weirdhock:

Is it really so disturbing? I log in many (many) times everyday, each time I must type username and passwd (as I don't want my browser to remember anything) yet never found it annoying, so... maybe it all depends on the point of view of the user (?)

101 sounds
    99 posts

logging in allows ppl to know who uploaded what samples (as if you ever would), who downloaded what samples, who posted on the forum, and what samples you downloaded. hey heres a freaking novel idea... since you are all about freesound and feel compelled to share your invaluable opinion with the community... how about contributing AT LEAST as much as you complain? :wink:

0 sounds
    1 post

Whatever allegedly motivates freesound's login necessity, "bandwidth" etc., it is a creepy hassle and really ruins the site.

Currently I cannot d/l content, as the login screen does not return me to the clip page, and my login does not persist when surfing the site. I find a clip I want, but am no longer logged, when I log I lose the page, when I relocate the page I am no longer logged. Brilliant.

I have succesfully used the site in the past and think it is an awesome effort, but the login is childish, and I don't want a workaround. Just ace this foolish and terribly implemented logging nonsense.

Admittedly, I hate joining sites, hate logging in ever. So I'm a crank. But still, I like Freesound, I want to use the site for up and downloads. So I registered, some time ago, and went through the infuriating login runaround. Now, whatever has changed about the site protocols or my browser prefs, even the humiliating and insulting hassle of "logging in" gets me nowhere.

I guess it is saving freesound bandwidth, for sure, as the site is perfectly unusable.

Please! Let's grow up and not Googlize the place. Tear down the walls and make freesound really free.

434 sounds
    230 posts

Ok this is a toughie, but I know that someone here might still have this toysynth. So if you can sample the drums from it then I'd be very happy.

2 sounds
    62 posts

Lysander, if you can replicate that contraption, I will make all the excuses necessary to your wife! What a project. The tricky part might be decoding the paper afterward because the phonoautograph was intended to visualize sounds, not reproduce them - the people at Firstsounds developed some kind of method to scan the scratches and transform it back to audio. Kind of like how Audacity can transform jpgs to sound files? Hm. Nah. Very different. Although if you feed Audacity images of geometric shapes it does odd things. I wonder what it would do with a high contrast image of that phonoautogram?

The word is 'modal' - isn't this just a lever for adjusting the needle on the paper?

Hammerklavier, this performance of yours is a riot! It challenges and makes people laugh. And call the police. Perfect night out at the theatre. (I had a less than perfect night out at the theatre yesterday, if only they'd stopped the show and said what you said...) It's so cool for an audience to intervene, to be invited by the cast. The open unpredictability of it. If I found a group that could do that well I'd go every Sunday, theatre as church of the absurd. You still do this sort of thing? Maybe at the first annual Freesound Festival you could share a tent with Bram's massive recording people.

In the BBC interview, they said the focus of Firstsounds is on early sound recordings, cylinders and early LPs and such. The project's goal is to 'read' the audio optically so they don't touch or damage the antique materials. But I think the research could easily go in other directions - if there is the slightest evidence of sound recorded somehow on unlikely objects, what a new world it would open. It's all about the process, of course, engineering the right instruments to read the right marks.

(Incidentally, one of the Firstsounds gang - Patrick Feaster - is at IU).

44 sounds
    99 posts

thanks for backing me up on this. All too often I don't get the support of my fellow audio professionals to help me out.

0 sounds
    1 post

Know where i can get them or what user's i should be looking at?????

412 sounds
    40 posts

ejfortin
    I agree that processing or using any type of compression to boost the overall level of a sound is undesired here. The end user can not undo the compression/limiting. I on the other hand believe normalizing is just fine for here. All that does is raise the level of the sound according to the highest peak in the file. This should be done on a good stereo editor that uses a 32 bit floating point to do the math. The end user can simply lower the volume if they need later when they use the file.

The good thing about normalizing the file before it is sent to freesound is that the level will be at a decent level for the preview. Some sounds on here are very very quiet. It also give a little bit better picture of the sound in the spectrograph for anyone doing a quicky eye scan over sounds that look like the shape of what they need. Of course listening to all of the sounds is the best solution but I sometimes find myself looking at the spectrograph to get a quick idea of what the sample will be like. The 32 bit float is important. Some programs, (namely pro tools) does bad things to the audio when any math is applied to the signal. Most listeners will not notice but it seems to get a little more edgy or harsh the more math you introduce to a signal.

To sum it up (no pun intended) normalizing is ok, compression/limiting/processing = bad!!!

I was just about to tell those exact points why I like normalization ! cool

Except that I sometimes do limit a bit before normalizing, when the peaks are really too high. Not ideal...

6 sounds
    24 posts

thanos- making a phonoautograph seems entirely possible actually after looking at some diagrams from the century dictionary. I wish I could do it but I've got a feeling my wife won't allow it as I should probably be job hunting instead of tinkering. Here is an enlarged picture of the diagram from the century dictionary. If anyone can figure out what that word ' and movable piece at a, by which the position of the _____ points can be regulated ;' is Please let me know, as I'm trying to make a restored copy of this Diagram and I honestly don't know what kind of points it's regulating
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3954/39392148dt3.th.png

44 sounds
    99 posts

i'm down for it. Bram could send out a mass e-mail like a Freesound Census or something. LOL

44 sounds
    99 posts

I listened to your first scene the other day. Unfortunately there will not be much you can do to fix this. The signal to noise ration in the recording is not good. I suspect (but I hope not) that the offending generator is the same one used to run your film shoot. Correct?

It also sounds like even if the generator wasn't there the microphone is placed too far from your talent. From my experience in working on film sound you really need to get the boom as close to the subject as possible. Whether this means from above or below to stay out of the shot, it just needs to be close. You can hear a lot of the room in the recording, this gives away the position of the microphone. I'll send you an example of something I have done to see what the closer position sounds like.

About the only thing you can do now is bring the actors in the scene back and do ADR (automatic dialogue replacement). I don't know why they call it automatic, there isn't much automatic about it. Really just bring the actors back in and one at a time they can rerecord the scene in a controlled environment. This is the best solution, and it is done on all major motion picture films. Almost no dialogue in films nowadays is taken from the on set scene. It is all replaced in post production.