Forums

434 sounds
    230 posts

I am looking for some really dewcent binaural recordings of how a subway train arrives, doors open, passengers enter / leave the subway, doors close and the subway departs. Anyone up for the task recording some for me? I don't just need US subways, it can be subways from all around the world that has this features included. I could also use an idle loop when there is no train at the station. People talking etc etc. I've found a few similar sounds here, but I need more of 'em. Note that a recording from a cellphone will simply kill the magic in this soundscape I'm creating.

0 sounds
    16 posts

thanks for your neat responses guys i am running on home edition of xp. i have come to the conclusion to upgrade the pc and just stick with what i am doing and the 2 programs i am using i have beard in mind u don't become a pro overnight it takes a lot of time to get to wer u wana go not in everyones case tho rite thanks guys

62 sounds
    9 posts

Here's what I uploaded yesterday

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47383

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47382

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47381

As I said, you can clearly hear human sounds so maybe they wont serve but I hope they are useful to someone anyway

Have you tried www.soundsnap.com there is one sample there of an orchestra tuning that might interest you

Best,
    Angel

1366 sounds
    123 posts

WELCOME TO FREESOUND!

Good luck with the exams - look forward to some uploads.

1366 sounds
    123 posts

Dead right - this "accidental" combination of sounds is more perfect than one could ever make deliberately - evocative and compelling. I always try when I make longer sound constructs, images, or writing to allow the individual components some freedom by randomisation in some form. The great innovator William Burroughs said it best - he was a pioneer of the cut-up method of creation but, unlike the Dada movement who used purely random methods, Burroughs selected his material carefully and used the random juxtapositions of cut-ups as a jumping off point . He said that, in this way, his work mirrored life which, however much you think you are in control, will inevitably come along and cut your plans and expectations up into little pieces.

Thanks for the post - thought provoking again.

1366 sounds
    123 posts

Nice selection of sounds there - impressive and a good range of styles. Love the lo-fi sound on some of the tracks - reminiscent of Boards of Canada. Only criticism is that some tracks just seem like truncated versions of longer pieces and it would be great to hear full versions - also the website looks like internet archive and I reckon your music should be displayed with better visuals - it deserves it.

But excellent stuff and thanks for thr credit - you really have put my owl sound to great use by tweaking it.

0 sounds
    1 post

MetroSonics
    Does anybody know where I can get the sound of the electrical shocker device used to stimulate peoples hearts during a heart attack? I think it's called a difribulator or something...

oooo yeah I need that sound effect too... :!:

0 sounds
    7 posts

Hello,

im new in this forum, and here goes a suggestion:

it would be great to use OpenID to login to this site. I think the openID philosophy fits nicely with the one of this site.

Thanks for your great work.

0 sounds
    7 posts

Hello,
    I'm a Portuguese computer science student, I love to code, and i love to play guitar. My main musical styles are Bossa Nova, Fado, and Flamenco.
    I've found this amazing site! And it even has a forum! smile this is great! This is the best reason i have to buy a jack a record some sounds for the community!

I'm eager to finish the exams and start producing stuff!

Thanks for this smile

0 sounds
    215 posts

sure,

but I want to release that with
    the less problems possible
    and some additionnal options,
    for now It give real exellent/good result
    but this is just an centroid computation

tongue

now i need some minor info from Bram
    and I must finalize minor things
    but everything will be done after the
    Bram"s travel I hope

cool

185 sounds
    79 posts

Recently I posted a reading of Randall Jarrell's "Death of the Ball Turret Gunner on Freesound. Today I came across Sea Fury's 8th Air Force Base, East Anglia, UK, 1944.wav which I mixed a portion with my reading with reverb to create the imoression of a spirit wandering through the hanger lamenting being washed from the turret with a hose when he died. I called it the Ghost of the Ball Turret Gunner.

The file was still on the clipboard when I was working with Sea Fury's excellent mix of vintage War Planes flying by and I created a rather eerie remix by accident where I could faintly hear the original gradually being drowned out by the sound of aircraft as they passed by the hanger until the original sound was totally gone.

http://www.mikevendetti.com/images/Ghost_of_the_Ball_Turret_Gunner2.mp3

I think my accident created a far more powerful sound image. Life goes on. Wounds heal, and eventually we are all but forgotten.

0 sounds
    3 posts

How about using Stienbergs Cubase 4 and using the Battery VST, this is what I use and I find it really nice and easy to programme grin

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hi Guys

My name is Bruno i'm from England (UK) I am a producer and vocalist, I have added to myspace a track that uses a sample I downloaded from Free Sound.

Please check it out and let me know what you think grin

www.myspace.com/mctopnotch

Regards

Bru

0 sounds
    3 posts

Beautifull, beautifull atmospheres.
    Really like your background pads (are those from the M42?).

grtz

606 sounds
    276 posts

Stenn
    Yep, looks nice, but, as usual, Roland (Edirol) wants too much for it ($800 list !!??).

Why would we spend $800 list when we can buy the Fostex MR8 MKII for $300, or the original MR8 for even less?! I read the specs on the R-44, and watched a NAMM video demo done by a Roland guy, and I don't see any feature besides maybe the sync capability (to use 2 R-44's as a single 8-track), and the High Capacity SD memory card capability, that would make it worth buying. Plus, that HC SD card capability is geared towards recording whole songs, i.e. an hour or two of time.....so do we need all that for sound-capture, for $700 or $800 ?

You seem to have missed the fact that the R-44 has 2 extra mic inputs (4 in total), can record 4 channels simultaneously (rather than 2 for the MR8 MK2) and has better noise & dynamic range specs. This forum/site is primarily aimed at location/field recording and so the R-44 is not to be compared to a bedroom multitrack recorder.

I'd like to get one to run 2 sets of stereo mics at the same time. Omni and Cardioid, rather than having to make the decision up front.

digifish.

0 sounds
    3 posts

I've been listening to the song ear to the rail...
    Truly creative work.
    I especially like the bassline but even more the way you enter the song. It just comes naturely.

grtz

102 sounds
    25 posts

Hi, Stenn has given a really good response to your question - you could do no worse than upgrading your computer to a level where is can run the applications you want at a reasonable pace. Stick with the software you have for the time being, they can do a very good job.

0 sounds
    4 posts

inchadney
    Yes, the Audio Technica AT-822. In my opinion: its the best! :wink:

If "starting small", i.e. cheaper, makes the fun last longer, then I guess Inchadney is having twice the fun as you NT4 guys, since his AT-822 is half the price. smile

I wonder if you can actually hear any difference between the two, for twice the price?

Stenn

0 sounds
    4 posts

How can anybody help you decide? All anybody has is their own experience, and their own bias and opinion. Unless your brain thinks and perceives things just like theirs does, their opinion is not much to go on...and that especially includes software.

And you would have to give a lot more details, such as how much money you can handle spending, before you can come close to answering your question. But since you like communicating in pseudo phone-pad-English instead of complete sentences, I'll take it you're under 18, with little money, so need to spend as little as humanly possible.

A decision is an equation. You can solve your equation with variables like other people's opinions, or you could try to be more logical about it.

You could look at your "equation" from two different points of view, i.e. decide based on making a hardware preference, i.e. PC or MAC, just because you're used to one or the other, ....or have one or the other available, or you can have a software preference, and make your decision based on what software you intend to use.

But YOU are going to have to settle on something as your starting point.....what is the "Given" in the equation?

For a specific processing purpose, such as music production, a common recommendation would be choose the software you want to use first, THEN acquire the hardware it would take to run that software. You mention "everybody's using Logic Pro," so you conclude that's what you should get. Although there's nothing wrong with Logic, you have to remind yourself that the "everybody" you know is a very limited circle, and that there's lots of "everybody's" out there using lots of other programs they would swear are "the best." But, unless you and they have actually, extensively, USED a number of different programs, you and they really are not in a position to make a judgment on what's better or worse...you just use what you have, and get used to it. (It seems to me I remember some sound cards including a free version of Logic with the card, so stop and think about WHY somebody's using the program....might be all they have, and don't have money to buy anything else, or that's what they started with with some free Lite version, and then stuck with it and upgraded....so that's no basis to conclude Logic is better than anything else.)

And, since most people can't afford to buy and use multiple programs to decide what they like, you have no choice but to read reviews, and hope those reviews refer to other programs for comparison, so you have as unbiased an opinion as possible.....but remember that's all it is....an opinion. How they logically concluded that opinion is what makes one opinion more "valid" than another to you. It's a LOT like guitar players.....a LOT of them have VERY biased opinions about what the "best" guitar or brand is, and it's based on very little logic....often nothing more than that's the brand somebody else uses, and they want to sound like them.

From a hardware point of view, since the PC you have now, even from 2001, is an "ATX" style, meaning it's using an ATX power supply (as opposed to the 1999-and-earlier "AT" style), it will allow you to mount today's "ATX" style or "mini-ATX" motherboards inside. You could conceivably gut your old PC and buy either new or used motherboard, CPU, etc., off eBay or from your local Classified Ads, or your friends, and update your PC hardware to something that would handle current software's demands, like your current version of Ableton. A lot of times, all that's necessary is to max out the RAM to whatever your motherboard will allow, and you'll suddenly find the software you have runs great. In your case, since you're mentioning VST plug-in's that won't run, it could be your processor isn't powerful/fast enough (which you could probably upgrade to the fastest the motherboard will allow with a used CPU off eBay for dirt-cheap), or it could just be you need more RAM. I suspect a motherboard from 2001 might be limited to 1 gig of ram max, but that might be all you need...you just have to try it.

What version of Windows is your current PC running?

....or just buy somebody's used PC that's newer than yours.....or a newer used MAC. But that decision goes back to what does the software you want to use demand, and/or how much money can you spend...and then you go from there. These days, some incredibly powerful PC's can be bought brand new for around $500 to $600, while my impression is that MAC's are still pretty expensive to get in to, unless maybe you buy used.

Pro-Tools on the MAC is very common in professional studios, so you could go for that because "everybody's using it," but then you're talking about serious money for everything.....fairly expensive MAC, expensive software, etc. And then you'll be on your own in your own circle that's all using Logic Pro (where you'll have people available to show you how to do stuff).

I've heard some people say Logic is fairly technical or difficult, and that's a common criticism of a lot of software,....a lot of them tend to bog you down in how to use it, so you lose your creative impulses....that great idea you just had for a song gets lost while you jump through software hoops to get the program to do what you want.....so a lot of programs try to design themselves to make it as easy as they can to help you get your idea recorded....and they promote the fact that they've been designed that way......

......Mackie's "Tracktion 3" is one that comes to mind, or what you already have.....Ableton Live.

But, ultimately, what's the point of having somebody tell you what to do? They'll usually tell you what the "Best" is, and you look to see how much it is, and choke when you see the cost, and then you end up just getting used to, and mastering, whatever you have, usually based on the limits of what you can spend.

It sounds to me like the cheapest way to go, since you already have decent programs, is just update your hardware again. But since you've been using it and now have experience with it, if you think Ableton will not do what you need it to, even after you update your PC hardware, then you're back to square-One...and then only you can decide what single factor will be your starting point for solving your "Equation."

Just make sure your decison is logical, and isn't just based on peer-pressure of what everybody else is doing.

Stenn

0 sounds
    6 posts

Hello HardPCM,

does it mean you've done it grin