Forums

434 sounds
    230 posts

I'd love to put a link to Freesound in one of my upcoming plugins. Since it uses Freesound samples it's nothing more than right that I do. So do you have a button say 96x24 pixel? That would be helpful.

44 sounds
    99 posts

No problem

37 sounds
    86 posts

Very nice. Yeah... the sound and stats are great.

I think that its the one.

Ill have to post some beach sounds smile

I can see the audio title now.

"Me popping beer top" "Me snorring" "Applying Suntan Lotion to Burn" lol

Thanks Man

44 sounds
    99 posts

Here are some pretty impressive recordings that I found making use of the zoom H4. http://www.dblondin.com/120406.html This may give you a good idea of the recorders potential. I would post my sounds but much of what I do is under copyright and I am not able to post it here.

37 sounds
    86 posts

Looks very impressive and i think ill buy it.

Im going to see if any other suggestions come in

37 sounds
    86 posts

Thanks Im checking it out now smile

231 sounds
    129 posts

perhaps you can upload something then?

that would show some real appreciation..

been a year now - it's not a one way street is it?

it's also amazing that such a prestigious title ( read has a budget!!! ) is gracing us with it's presence here.. whilst it's nice that you are giving the unknown underdogs a chance - I hope they get a free copy of the game when it's done??

really is grand theft!

grand thrift?

hehe!

44 sounds
    99 posts

Take a look at the Zoom H4. It's right at your price point and you can't beat it for the price.

37 sounds
    86 posts

I posted this question a few months back..

HandHeld Digital Recording Device for around $100

Well now im back again... and i've got $300 Woohooo so now the question is where can i get a HandHeld Digital Recording Device for around $300.

Im going to the beach in a few weeks and want to get some new souds! smile

17 sounds
    5 posts

Hiya! thanks to both of you, some fantastic stuff!!
    cheers

0 sounds
    1 post

I'm new to the group, too. A big hi to everyone!!

20 sounds
    25 posts

Thank you for your replies so far.

In sum, the more of the original sound is recorded, the better. This also counts for gain and for any effect that the surroundings add (reverb...). Interestingly, I considered the gain, but not the room wink

Then again, in some way I did want to test the recording of the room (which is also why I made a stereo recording); I bought the two omnis for ambience (room) recordings, so in this respect they performed quite well (I'd hope so - for their price tongue ) but if it were for the door alone (the essence of the whole sound), I understand your point.

The only alternative I currently have is an Audio-Technica 835b, which (in comparison to the Audix) is quite noisy - or I yet haven't used it properly.

185 sounds
    79 posts

This is me with some fx http://www.mikevendetti.com/voices/disguise.mp3

44 sounds
    99 posts

i am gonna have to disagree with tweeterdj. The leaving 12-18 db of headroom will increase the noise floor when you bring it up to maximum in a mix. Most of the time attenuating the signal lower will not cause a problem but adding gain to a signal that was recorded with too much headroom just raises the noise floor along with the signal, therefore a noisy signal. If you record with very little headroom and you would like a quieter sound in the mix all you have to do is attenuate the signal, with no problems.

26 sounds
    107 posts

Also in regards to your comment on having 'plenty of headroom left', I don't think I would identify that as a problem. You should have plenty of headroom in every recording. Optimal recording levels generally are about -12 to -18 dB on peaks. That way, when you mix it with a lot of other sounds (say in a soundtrack) you don't have heavy attenuation on all your channels.

70 sounds
    7 posts

I'm not sure if this still happens since I don't have a landline, but in the U.S. if there is an error processing your call there will be three tones followed by a recording "your call could not be completed as dialed, please check the number and try again" or something like that. I'm wondering if anyone has a clip of that or happens to know the frequencies and timing of the tones? Thanks.

0 sounds
    24 posts

Hi everybody i'm till looking for these other sound files and thanks! grin

44 sounds
    99 posts

I would definitely try using a cardiod near coincident or coincident mic setup. This will help give more directness to the sound you are going after. In the recordings you posted you have a lot of the "ROOM" sound in the recording. Getting less room in your sound will make the recording a lot more useful for yourself and others. For example if you needed to add this sound to a film or something and it took place in a very different space such as a small room or outdoors the reverb from your recording would sound very out of place. The drier the better (for the most part) is a good rule of thumb to follow. Remember with a dry sound you can always add reverb to match a space, but you can never remove it.

If you are stuck with Omni's i would just try and move the mics much closer. This will skew the balance of the direct to reverberant sound in your favor.

Maybe try again and post the results to see how they turn out. Good Luck and happy recording!

0 sounds
    2 posts

Well I suppose I could create it too but I simply don't have the expertise.

Picture yourself at a band concert, everyone in their seats.
    the band is warming up with random notes from all type of instruments.

The conductor steps up to the podium with an ivory or hard platic stick
    in his hand. It is 3 to 4 mm at the base held by a peice of cat-tail
    or something similarly soft. it is tapered to about 2mm and a round point
    and about 18 inches long.

During the concerts I played in, our conductor would tap 3 to 6 times on the top
    of his metal music holder - somehow I forgot what this is called, lol.

you hear several "shhh, shhh"'s from the audience and all the instruments stop playing,
    I can imagine as being a member of the audience, hearing someone nearby say "Shhhh, quiet."
    and all sound fades out completely . . . And into the start of some music. probably a total of
    3 seconds, maybe 4.

Ok now, I'll describe just the sounds with quotes:
    First, picture yourself as an audience member for an orchestral presentation.
    You are seated along with everyone else around you.
    Everyone is talking, chit-chatting, etc.
    The lights DO not Dim. but you see the conductor come from the side of the stage and
    step up.

"Shhhh, Shhhh." "Tap, tap, tap. . tap, tap. . "
    Random music dies down quickly.
    "Shhhh, quiet."

---
    Now in a real setting, the conductor would probably not tap on the music stand,
    he would just step up.
    but I want to give an audio cue to that action, thus the tap, tap tap, tap of the baton.

IF I could ever get to a concert, i'm sure I could record something, even at a practice.
    then I could dub in the tapping sound, maybe a muted footstep as
    he steps on to the carpeted podium.
    Does this sound duable?
    if so, I would forever be gratefull.

0 sounds
    12 posts

Hi!

I'm looking for a specific sound that I can't find: imagine that you turn on a big light bulb (click) and then you can hear the electric hum (bzzzzzz), or imagine an industrial system with a relay: the relay activates (click) and then the electric hum. Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot!

Regards.