Forums

26 sounds
    107 posts

It does sound like a buffering problem to me. 1 GB is not a lot of RAM, especially if you're listening to a lot of tracks. If you're worried about latency, I would recommend ASIO4ALL. It may also help with the buffering problem, as you can manually adjust the amount of buffer being used. Can you tell us any more about your computer? That may help also.

0 sounds
    17 posts

i just upgraded my RAM to a GB thinking my problems with cubase are over. theyre not.

im using cubase 2.0 and the problem is when im mixing tracks, while its playing back the audio wil just cut out or stutter. im ready to smash my Mouse into pieces but i know that's not the solution.

anyone out there have an idea of how to fix this? is it the buffering? is it Latency? i feel like im ready to go now and now this problem. so fustrating.

dan m
    detroit

609 sounds
    276 posts

"Zoom in"

By their design any standard stereo mic won't be all that good at rejecting off-axis sounds. If you want to obtain extreme rejection then you probably should be looking at a shotgun mic. as the forward facing element in a MS-Stereo rig.

Honestly, however, the best way of rejecting off-axis noises is simply to get closer to the subject, and that is what makes capturing the perfect field-recording more interesting smile

digifish

3121 sounds
    481 posts

Well....glad to hear Fostex has good customer support smile

So it's the FR2 LE what you intend to use this for, right? I have no idea on the FR2, but the LE needs 7.2 V from an external RCC, I can tell for sure.

Only (slight) annoyance: there's nearly no room left to accomodate the plastic Tamiya connector block into the LE. It's cleverly designed, though, it fits but it's ike a puzzle. You'll need to give it some thinking.

Saludos

D.

20 sounds
    25 posts

I also wrote a mail to Fostex directly - and even they responded with recommending a battery pack used for car models, connected via Tamiya plug tongue

The batteries we recommend to use on FR-2 is the TAMIYA RC-3600HV.

It is interesting though, that they recommend using a battery pack of 7.2V, although the 'official' power connector has 12V.
    Well, I guess I'll head to the next shop for remote controlled toys tomorrow...

edit:
    doh -- searching for the recommended components I stumbled over this link:
    www.fostexinternational.com/docs/support/Note_FR2_V120.pdf
    They even included that in their firmware...

4 sounds
    10 posts

deleted

0 sounds
    2 posts

Hey, thanks guys, for the inspiration of keeping this place free and with highi integrity. May Freesound become the safest cyber hub for all sound artists.

I am an ex sax player who sudenly decided to fuse my developing sci fi story with new music last year. I guess I am writing PC albums for spiritual balancing and to sell this story to the Japanime industry in the future..

For the wild and raw cyberpunk sci fi album PURENOIZ AT THE HEAVEN'S GATE HELL'S KITCHEN (just released) I also want to thank the ears, minds and hearts of the following artists for fusing their art into my dream:

Kwazi
    Ramjac
    Stickinthemud
    HerbertBoland
    Greysound
    Roubignolle
    ERH
    RHumphries
    Reinsamba
    Heigh_hoo
    Reverend_Metal
    Filmhits
    Roubignolle
    Erdie
    CSengeri

The album focuses on a sci fi story that involves time sampling, alien cultures and the gods. You can download the album for free until August 2008 at megaupload.com/?d=4YR0LFKC BUT YOU MUST PUT THE SECURITY LETTERS IN THE BOX TO BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD. The story itself explores time travel aliens and the gods. The core of the story `Time Sampling` was born from hanging around this url for the last year. That is why I thank you, for being the one inspiration that made the others come toogether into this and furture albums.lol.Nice place this.

i want to ask, if the sampler names have been inserted legally. If someone can advise me please?

If the 100mb download sux for time, watch this video song. Using Final Fantasy Advent Children which reflects the deliberate metallic intensity for this album. vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=35888478

Cheers

Ric.

45 sounds
    46 posts

if i remember right, the 822 uses 3.5 mm mini plugs as opposed to xlr connectors.

I've recorded a variety of circumstances from distant ambiances, to church pipe organs from a hundred feet to instrumentals and vocals from a few feet, to close-ups such as a music box with my at825.

I'm not dissuading you from considering other worthy or better options. For me, the AT825 has worked very well.

3 sounds
    3 posts

visa tapani

Those of you with either AT822, 825 or Rode NT4 - they appear to be great for ambiances, but is it really possible to zoom in on a sound with them? Also, is there any other difference between the 822 and 825 than that 825 can run also on phantom power?

I'm not sure what you mean by "zoom in". If you mean isolating a single sound by moving the microphone close to the sound source, I have done that with the AT825 when I used it as a vocal microphone. I use a microphone stand to position it below the speaker's chin or above his nose, and he doesn't even know it's a stereo microphone. I try to eliminate extraneous sounds, of course, but it is my impression that the AT825 does what any microphone would do in the same circumstances: it hears only the nearby speaker.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the AT822, but I can confirm that the AT825 requires phantom power on both the left and right microphone cables.

20 sounds
    25 posts

Thanks for the reply, dobroide;

The idea with the RCC sounds interesting - though I'm a little bit reluctant to mess with the power connectors wink
    How good are these RCCs with regards to charge cycles? How long does charging typically take? In that area I have no experience...

3121 sounds
    481 posts

visa tapani

Also, with MS, do you get any true left-right separation? For example, if a bird approaches your setup from the left, flies past the mics to the right and disappears to the right - would you hear this in the recording?

Visa tapani,

most or all of my field recordings during the last year were made in MS stereo, check for example http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=54746

So yes, you get left-right separation. And yes, you can mount the two mics very close together into a very portable pack. Bad news is... price

Saludos

D.

0 sounds
    23 posts

Thanks for all the comments!

nemoDaedalus
    I have done a lot of recording for film & tv with a Schoeps MS-stereo pair.
    MS-stereo allows you to change the 'wideness' of the recording later in the studio. Since you always have one mic facing forward (in case of a specific thing you're recording), you can choose to have it fully mono by only using the M(id) mic. Adding the S(ide) mic in the mix will drift the stereo field from centre slowly out to stereo. And even lowering the M signal in the mix makes the stereo wider than the speaker setup.

Yeah, I too was thinking that MS would be very handy indeed - that's why the Audio Technica BP4029 would be such a practical mic! However, I haven't found any cheap figure-8 capsules yet, the Schoeps ones are over my budget. If I could find a good cheap bang-for-the-buck figure-8 capsule I could combine it with the mono mic of my choice ang get a nice custom with that. Any recommendations for such a capsule?

Also, with MS, do you get any true left-right separation? For example, if a bird approaches your setup from the left, flies past the mics to the right and disappears to the right - would you hear this in the recording?

Those of you with either AT822, 825 or Rode NT4 - they appear to be great for ambiences, but is it really possible to zoom in on a sound with them? Also, is there any other difference between the 822 and 825 than that 825 can run also on phantom power?

Which one would you recommend between AT825 and Rode NT4?

As for getting a proper stereo pair... It does seem a little bit too much hassle right now, as building a wind shield for them seems like a lot of trouble. Also, I need a solution I can carry easily with one hand, for walking around and zooming in on sounds and a stereopair might get a little heavy... Maybe a little bit later though!

I only just now noticed that the Rode NT4 and AT822/825 can be run with battery power. So for these mics preamps wouldn't even be necessary. I wonder if it would be good choice to pick up a Marantz PMD 620 insted of a Zoom H4 to use with one of these mics? At least I've heard that it's a better unit than H4, and the lack of preamps wouldn't be a problem with those mics...

50 sounds
    4 posts

Hey, I've been searching the past while but can't seem to find my castanets :x
    I can't guarantee any recordings now, but I'll keep looking for them.

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi, how can i delete files from my list in freesound attribution form?

1711 sounds
    8 posts

It’s the second time that I conducted a Freesound (music) course at a public school and I’m glad to share this experience with you which culminated in a nice concert last Thursday.

10 compositions which are made solely of sounds taken from THE FREESOUND PROJECT have been presented to the public at the Concert Hall of the Ironi Alef public school, Tel Aviv. The pieces have been created by students of the course called “Music Alchemy” that took place in Spring this year at the same school.

The aim of the course was to open each student’s mind how sound material can look like and how it can be combined beyond the usual classical or pop music experiences. Together with this approach, common material was understood and integrated as well under a new conceptual view.

THE FREESOUND PROJECT was the solely source of material used and more than sufficiently covering the required diversity of sound and music material made available to the students.

A predecing course “The Sound Surf Project” was held at the same school a year earlier with the aim to create new sounds and contribute them to THE FREESOUND PROJECT. You can search them by the “Ironi Alef” user keyword.

I was pleased to see that along with the vast offer all of you posted at this site, also Ironi Alef sounds have been chosen by the students of the latter course, just “by chance”, which brought both of the learning experiences – bottom up and top down – into a nice complementary result.

All pieces are documented together with the course materials on the students online group and are currently availble for listening from the music list at http://freesound.ning.com (go down to the "Music" section). A video recording of the introduction into the concept is currently available only in German (held at the Institute for Computer Music and Electronic Media in Essen this month):

http://freesound.ning.com/video/video/show?id=1486807%3AVideo%3A3051

and Hebrew (taken from the above concert, together with two short snippets to show a bit about the concert athmosphere).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSRzXe-JxCM or http://freesound.ning.com/video/video/show?id=1486807%3AVideo%3A3054
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVjuO0cPJf4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-TGApxhEts

An English recording will hopefully follow soon. However, further English resources are accessible through the http://freesound.ning.com site, and last but not least, you may also contact me directly through THE FREESOUND PROJECT should you have more questions.

By the way, the course was a pilot and lasted just for about 13 lessons (45 minutes each). I found it amazing what the students have been able to do in such a short time.

Thanks again to all of you for your contributions (credits are presented at the end of the intro).

Freed

1366 sounds
    123 posts

Death has a sound - all things have sound. Thanks for the post - excellent and scary stuff.

103 sounds
    198 posts

"Scientists were fascinated by the ghostly find: a human skeleton buried in an Aztec temple with a clay, skull-shaped whistle in each bony hand.

But no one blew into the noisemakers for nearly 15 years. When someone finally did, the shrill, windy screech made the spine tingle.

If death had a sound, this was it."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25391041/

0 sounds
    2 posts

@soundhead: thx for the links.... but the sound of the drums are not deep enough... sad

LG

Lillit

3121 sounds
    481 posts

firefreak,

my personal rule of thumb is keep away from 'named' batteries, as they last considerably less than cheap unamed ones, both in terms of charge duration AND numer of charging cycles. Maybe these trademarks want to sell you more often, their manufacturing process is different, who knows... In my experience the cheaper the battery the longer it lasts (according to capacity, of course). The last AA's I purchased (Chinese, no name) last so long it scares me thinking what they are made of...

Anyway, powering your Fostex with AAs should be a pain, your best bet is getting a Remote Control Car battery with a Tamiya connector. I did so during the (brief) period I had the Fostex, it ran the recorder for 6 h, non-stop

Saludos

D
    EDIT: I assumed you were talking about the FR2 LE, hence my suggestion of a RCC battery. I have no experience with the more expensive FR-2

20 sounds
    25 posts

Hi all!

I'm back from an exhausting (but amazing) weekend with my Fostex FR-2 on a student film set (First time, and as a boom operator - yay!).

The Fostex recorder (if powered via batteries) requires 8 AA cells and with the environment in mind, I bought some rechargeable batteries. Again, I got convinced by shiny names (instead of quality) and got several "Varta Ready 2 Use" cells (2100 mAh). The first time they hold for about three hours. But then, after a recharge time of about 7h (Varta recharger) they merely have enough for half an hour or less.

My question to you now is, which rechargeable AA batteries you can recommend? Company, model, ... (And where to get them in central Europe?) Price is not an issue - I don't want to be in that situation to report "Sorry, got no power" again...