Forums

0 sounds
    4 posts

Hi i have a music clip that is 5mb in size i want to get this down to about 500kb so i can upload it my web page but does anyone know how i can do this,what programme is required etc. Also the file says its 128kb per second what does this mean is it good or should it be less/more and if so how do i go about vhanging this to.

the top question is most important to me though.

i shall also be uploading a lot of files and sounds of various things for you to use when i find how i can reduce the size as no one wants to download 5mb files do they?

im a newbie to all this sound stuff and this website seems the place to hang out so hi all i like whats going on here

Dave

0 sounds
    4 posts

Hi im new to this site and found it about a week ago and downloaded a cool sound. So i come back today and search for another sound and nothing, everytime i search for a sound like street or waves nothing returns am i doing something wrong is it to do with my settings on pc or what.

would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction

Many thanks

Dave

48 sounds
    16 posts

oh nae bother, had a lot of fun. be lucky ingsey :0)

4 sounds
    47 posts

Well, just for your information, that child's bbc website freaked the crap out of my daughter so try not to make a website so startling.

4 sounds
    31 posts

ingsey101
    smile Well I thought i'd have a try our find it here: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=50847

Jesus Christ, that sounds really scary. Have you ever tried to perform in a thriller or kind of? I bet you'll be accepted smile
    Seriously, I need a man for that, and I don't want it to be so strained and intense.
    I had a collaboration with Andrew McNiven (you can listen to our work here) but it seems like he doesn't want to help anymore, because he doesn't answer on my e-mail. I mean the voice must sound like Andrew's.

48 sounds
    16 posts

smile Well I thought i'd have a try our find it here: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=50847

2 sounds
    62 posts

Very cool performance, HK. Some futurist influence? You should upload an excerpt here - inaudibility is no excuse! The NYT link is for real, and here's a BBC story, including an interview with the lead scientist who made the sound come alive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7310000/newsid_7318200/7318205.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm&asb=1&news=1&bbcws=1

I think this story is a gem. Also, in the text link I posted above there is the following passage by Charles Babbage, the famous 19th century computer nerd -

Thus considered, what a strange chaos is this wide atmosphere we breathe! Every atom, impressed with good and with ill, retains at once the motions which philosophers and sages have imparted to it, mixed and combined in ten thousand ways with all that is worthless and base. The air itself is one vast library, on whose pages are for ever written all that man has ever said or woman whispered.

0 sounds
    5 posts

You guys in the first world may not be familiar withy this but power generator noise is the bane of all filmmakers, sound recordists in Nigeria. You simply can't move for the sound/noise pollution. This brings me nicely to my problem. I am a film maker with a deep interest in sound. I have just shot an indie low budget feature film in Nigeria. All was cool until I got to the edit. Entire 2 scenes (mine are particularly long unfortunately) were almost laid bare by noise pollution. Some we can live with - don't we call it atmos! The first was polluted by a generator noise. So much that we need to increase the gain just to make out the dialogue...and yes the sound recordist is long gone...he was ok till that scene... I mean we had proper kit..recorded on Eidrol 9 digital recrder AKG 25 mike. Anyhow I digress. The second scene was shot outside town..and that was pollted by very miffed and chirping crickets. The MFKers must have been on heat. Anyhow so I tried to fix it using Audacity. The noise removal feature, did the job, so I thought until I played back the result. It had actors sounding like Martians on speed! I did not bother with the second sc..the one with the chirping crickets. I ofcouse remembered that I belong to finest sound community in the internet. So here I am ..can anyone help? I am no geek, just a film maker who loves the landscape of sound. There are no sound engineers here in the Niger Delta who can rock this boat with me..so can anyone help. I'll happily upload the offending scenes wav format of course.. One is 99mb and the other is 59 mb. All I want in a nutshell is to reduce to a minimum the generator/cricket noise so that the actors can be properly audible. Oh I forgot to add...I am barefaced enough to send this film to Cannes...already sent a working version. Help!

greetings allya

2 sounds
    62 posts

And here is a text about a very cool hoax -

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002875.html

Belgian researchers have been able to use computer scans of the grooves in 6,500-year-old pottery to extract sounds -- including talking and laughter -- made by the vibrations of the tools used to make the pottery.

If only it were true. Some fiction should be true.

2 sounds
    62 posts

Found it -

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/audiosrc/arts/1860v2.mp3

2 sounds
    62 posts

They've discovered a French recording of sound that predates Edison's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080328/ap_on_hi_te/earliest_recording

The tune was captured using a phonautograph, a device created by Parisian inventor Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville that created visual recordings of sound waves. Using a needle that moved in response to sound, the phonautograph etched sound waves into paper coated with soot from an oil lamp. "When I first heard the recording as you hear it ... it was magical, so ethereal," Giovannoni said. "The fact is it's recorded in smoke. The voice is coming out from behind this screen of aural smoke."

Does anyone know where to find an audio file of this?!

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hello there (or good morning from the UK). Thanks for your pencil sounds - you must have a really small microphone! However, they're not quite what I'm after. I was looking more for a 'characature' sound for the shape being drawn. Sort of fireworks, flip flops, sweeps and whooshes - musical noises.
    Some elements of your 'flopple' (8 and 10) and 'modular love' (7) are touching on 'fun' sounds'
    Have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/inthenightgarden/flash/index.shtml (it's all the rage here for pre-school children!). There are some good noises of the sort I mean on this site.
    Are you sure it's your sort of thing?
    Thanks again

3113 sounds
    312 posts

OK, I took a try at these, I feel like getting a pencil is somewhat harder than I was thinking, let me know how these work for you...
    ringlets
    spiral

5 sounds
    9 posts

alphahog
    Hey George,

Here you go. If it needs anything, let me know.

www.mikevendetti.com/voices/Archives.mp3

That's very good, Mike, thank you.
    As usual, I'll let you know when the podcast is published, so you can download it.
    And, of course, I will link it to your read on this website.

185 sounds
    79 posts

Hey George,

Here you go. If it needs anything, let me know.

www.mikevendetti.com/voices/Archives.mp3

5 sounds
    9 posts

Following is a short text I would like you to read, part of a future episode of my podcast.
    Reading directions:

TONE = calm, narration-style
    PACE = slow to medium. Do not rush
    MALE/FEMALE = both welcome!
    ACCENT = not important

Thank you!

Here is the text:

How much do people love public archives?

Well, some enjoy looking into archives as much as looking for a lost ball in the high weeds.

Then, for some, archives are tools of the trade. They use them on the job and are as exciting as the computer at the office.

To me, archives and libraries are fabulous worlds, the likes I read about when I was a teenager in books by Isaac Asimov, or Arthur C. Clarke. I feel attracted and I have a strong urge to dig deeper and deeper, and lose myself into their labyrinth as you would purposely get lost in a city that’s fascinating you.

0 sounds
    10 posts

Im just curious if any ones heard anything new or interesting out there they might recommend in lala land ?

0 sounds
    10 posts

RokkiN
    This device looks interesting and cheap too. Is there anybody who has experiences about it?
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_mdr2.htm

Well I notice theres 30 day trial which sounds nice, Ive been looking at H2 on ebay but some of the reviews said negative things about it and I really need external mic for vocals too i.e. not just narration .

I dont know what the poormans mic is but I though perhaps I could use either minidisc or something like this with external mic as opposed to having to buy it seperately.

13 sounds
    12 posts

I guess that they use square pulses because they contain high frequency components (fundamental plus odd harmonics 3rd, 5th etc). This then gives a good signal which can then be used to check the performance of their reverb algorithms

0 sounds
    3 posts

Gosh! That was quick. Have a look at http://www.greenandtempest.co.uk/patterns/spiralc.swf and http://www.greenandtempest.co.uk/patterns/ringlets.swf
    There are about 20 altogether. They are for children so the sound needs to be jolly.
    They are in Flash MX so I ideally need .wav files.
    Thanks smile