Forums

4677 sounds
    376 posts

After a bit of negotiation and contract updating with the attornies at Disney, I recently worked out a deal with the producers to allow use of http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=14739 for the DVD release of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_Up_2.

It will be used in the menu transitions as a sound effect, I assume only part of it since it's a bit long.

Anyway, it isn't like I got a job with Dreamworks or anything, but it couldn't have happened at a more perfect moment.

Thanks to Bram and all at Freesound for giving a little platform for sound geeks to show off their bloops and bleeps and also for providing a great resource for those looking for sounds that they need.

As soon as I get my laptop and my USB mic out of the pawn shop. I will be doing some monophonic field recordings and posting some new stuff, maybe I can finally record a hurricane this season. Also the lightning here is apparently more intense than anywhere on earth so maybe instead of distant rumblings I can get a near strike without blowing the levels through the roof. Wish me luck...

0 sounds
    2 posts

whoops

I completely forgot I signed up to soundclick 3 years ago.

My bad

I think this should work.

Soundclick's streaming format really raped the sound quality sad

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=505479
    or http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6605243

Click Perception of Time

All the clock and bell sounds came from this site, as well 2 of the drum samples for the D&B score.

Ignore the other song, its like, 3 years old weird

edit: it seems theres a hifi play version.
    Click full next to Perception of Time and click hifi.

0 sounds
    3 posts

i need a sound of old flashlight - with lightbulb, or sound of studio flash head.
    tnx

111 sounds
    48 posts

Maybe one of those?

http://ccmixter.org/

http://www.soundclick.com

best

15 sounds
    135 posts

While your opinion can sound true or should even be true in some ways, it simply isn't the way the law has recently worked.

You can check this link on a recent court ruling about sampling:

http://www.joegratz.net/archives/2004/09/08/6th-cir-theres-no-such-thing-as-ide-minimisi-sampling/

Even a small fragment would be considered grounds for a law suit. There have been past rulings that have gone the other way but this is probably
    the most current ruling on the subject.

Another thing that might interest you is that public domain RECORDINGS are not actually in the public domain till 2067 or later.

http://www.acidplanet.com/help/faq/?page=copyrightissues&T=1654

You can rewrite and record your version of the song but not actually use the original recording.

This is at least how it is in the United States.
    Very frustrating and confusing.

0 sounds
    2 posts

I used some of the brilliant sound files from this page to add effects to the latest song i've been messing around with.

Not sure about how to post it here for feedback.

I'm assuming i cant simply use to the applet to upload my own work to my control panel.
    If not, does anyone have any known upload sites where my music can stream from?

(used to be a member of mixposure, which died quiet suddenly 2 years back)

thanks mateys

101 sounds
    99 posts

Just being philosophical, and wondering what you guys thought about this.

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi, i am looking for footsteps belonging to a pilgrimage.
    I made photos at differerent places like lourdes, fatime and more,
    next week starts an exhibition with these pictures
    I miss the sound of the feet who are 'crawling over the floor' (very soft noise what I could not found)
    Hope somebody can help me,
    thanks in advance, anoushka

111 sounds
    48 posts

Hi,

no problem rorys - the project is called "Soogledi" - they will do round tables, write articles, present books, organize lectures of visiting philosophers, music and sound theoretics and musicians, technical people that deal with noise and related health and ecology problems, sound/noise actions/performances/interventions (I will (hopefully) participate in a sound performance using prerecorded and life performed sound in some church - I like acoustics, I explore the meating of avant-garde, contemporary and traditional/religious - if they can coexist - also connection of sacred and profane, "everyday" becoming sacred, etc., (re)thinking concepts of noise and music, etc.) Another action will be jamming with a construction site. Some artists will install themselves at the side of some active construction sites and jam along, modulate, etc. the machinery, trucks, cranes, drillers, etc.

This is the blog - but it is in Slovene language only: http://www.soogledi.blogspot.com

Best regards and thanx for your interest!

0 sounds
    0 posts

I rofl'd.

By loopmaker, do you mean a program that enables you to make a file that keeps looping so you don't have to keep playing it, or just something that can help you mix and match your sounds

15 sounds
    1 post

If anybody still needs good outdoor warning siren recordings, I have some you can use.

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=3140

0 sounds
    1 post

Nope. I'm at work, using wireless router. Got F-secure + we're using hardware firewall.

111 sounds
    48 posts

RHumphries
    I would choose not normalized because it is easier for me to tell what the resulting sound will be like in terms of volume and dynamics. Your normalized example suddenly looks very loud to me, even though it is not, and the resulting increase in frequency resolution, doesn't really tell me much more about the sound than the non normalized example.

-Richard

I second that.

1134 sounds
    285 posts

Welcome back Flowers grin

1 sound
    6 posts

Ok so my exams are done and I'm bored so i decided I would write some stuff...
    I heard this song called FAKE by SINCE 1889 (a Japanese visual key band) and I wrote the lyrics accordingly... Only that the pace of my song is less... well I'll be uploading the recorded a cappella's soon... I was just wondering if anyone can make the music for it... The music is almost the same as that of the song I'm talking about... But I have to make certain specific changes to the tempo among other things... I was just wondering if that's possible...

[link deleted - we don't support illegal music - admin - also fixed your spelling for you]

0 sounds
    6 posts

Hey Dangerbabe,

Anything you wanna do to it is fine by me. Just do anything you want as long as "DJ Cornelius" is in it.. grin
    My mix is gonna be 2 hours long so plenty of slots for all sorts of IDs to be in it!

Thanks!

0 sounds
    5 posts

C0rnelius
    Hi dangerbabe...
    Love that voiceover! Mind doing one for me too?
    My request is at http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15986#15986

Thanks!

Please dont request in my topic
    Thanks

0 sounds
    1 post

I began writing a response to a question about the legality of borrowing sound effects for use in a video game, and I got a little caught up in it and realize I was simply spouting opinion rather than any tangible legal information or inquiry. So, I figured I would instead post it here to see how you all weighed in on it.

Is one free to use borrowed sound effects as elements in constructing a video game? With a little investigation, I've yet to come to any conclusion on the legal perspective on it, but it has since sparked thought into the philosophy of the matter:

In a game where the player shoots a variety of guns, for example, almost all the gun sounds are either paid-for samples (such is why you may hear familiar gun sounds often if you happen to be into these types of games, action movies, etc.), or have been recorded by the game creator. To the average ear, most gun sounds are relatively indistinct from one another, as would be other sound effects that occur in a common environment (object impact noises, footsteps, doors opening and closing). Some obviously are more effective/appealing than others, and become popular if they are part of a marketed sample package. This seems to be why they warrant a monetary purchase on behalf of the user; they fulfill their intention of being effective in their contribution to the presentation. Because they are 'sound effects,' this still implies that they still be discreet and don't 'steal the show.' They aren't intended to reveal themselves to the user/viewer for what they are beyond the 'fourth wall' of the presentation. Unless that person happens to have the 'ear' for sound effects, like the case i mentioned earlier. But that person is not the typical viewer, and should not be relevant to the intention of this sound effect's inclusion, which is the differentiating factor between a 'sample' and a 'sound effect.' Contrary to the previous, a sample is presented as a 'guest member of the cast,' so to speak. The inclusion of it is made obvious, and central to the context of its presentation is the fact that it is meant to stick out as a premeditated inclusion rather than simply another supplemental element of the presentation.

To use a diabolical laugh from an old 50's movie as the sound effect for a boss character in a video game, for example, may or may not fall under the category of sampling: should it be under the intention of creating a fairly obvious nostalgic reference to the particular source, I think that would be a sampling of that sound, rather than a theft. If it were to simply be a case where the intention is to leave viewers with the feeling of "oh, that was a really cool evil laugh," then that's simply taking credit for someone else's work. If we used instead the well-known and parodied, loud, jarring outburst of laughter from Hillary Clinton originally heard during an interview from recent months, it would be clear that we were simply attempting to transparently reference, with humor or mockery, a well-known person and event, and shouldn't need to worry about giving Hillary Clinton due credit.

It's as though you're citing a source in an essay: if a quoted idea is presented in a matter such that it blends in with the rest of the words that make up your theses, that is plagarism, accidental or not. To cite the creator of the idea is to simply put it in a different context, so that it stands out clearly rather than lining the fabric of your work. With sound effects, these citations are required, however not necessarily in the written, MLA-format sense of written work. Citations of sound effects truly need simply be implied, such that the vast majority of the game's target audience recognizes the reference. That is what I think is an acceptable use of borrowed sound effects: when they appear within the context of being an obvious reference of other material, at least to the majority of those who would play this game. Even if players don't recognize what particular obscure old movie this diabolical laugher originates from, the intended effect on a player upon hearing such the sound effect (in the case of a legitimate sampling versus that of theft) would be "oh, that laugh is just like those 50's sci-fi movies," instead of simply adding to the presentation discreetly without sparking a conceptual connection.

0 sounds
    4 posts

Hi Andrej,

I'm curious: what is the name of the project? ... if you are allowed to say wink
    I'd be curious to check out the blog or any other info they might have online.

thx,
    R

0 sounds
    5 posts

javascript:emoticon(':?')
    Confused I used to have a Korg DSS-1 and I could make simple waveforms on that to perform subtractive synthesis through analog processing. Too bad my Korg's floppy drive is shot. Now I have a DSI Polly Evolver Keyboard... WOW! WHAT a MACHINE! Unfortunately, it's digital occilator is limited to 1024 bit single(or several cycle) waveforms like its predecssor, the Sequential Circuits VS. All I've been doing now is chopping and slicing large format waves from workstation samples with no real clue as to what the wave is going to sound like. They all seem to sound like "glorified saw" waves. I know that the harmonic range in a 1kb wave is limited, but I KNOW that I got some really full, complex and "lush" sounding 1024 bit waves from my Korg. Does anybody have any tips for me? I tried dowloading DSS-1 wave sets but they(so far) only have the longer samples.
    Thanks,
    Don