Forums

0 sounds
    1 post

"Escape" : A short 3D animation video made with Blender 3D.
    You can see it in my web (www.pairal.net/) or in HD720 in Vimeo (www.vimeo.com/862152).

I used (and credited):
    - RushingStream by acclivity
    - Footsteps_in_water by Krisboruff
    - Children Playing by adam_danz
    - tic_tac_2_sec by fonogeno
    Thanks to all of them !

I've made it during February-March 2008. The original idea was from 2006, but until now I haven't had the time to do it. It tries to symbolize our journey through life, from our previous death (before being born) to the final death (maybe to begin again).
    It's my first animation short, so it's been an opportunity to learn the techniques, hopefully for future works!
    I've made some Python code to generate the shaking of the camera and the torch. I've also used the composition nodes (vector/motion blur, gamma correction, RGB curves, light blurring).
    Render at 720p took around 50 hours. I've used Audacity for audio editing and Premiere Elements for the final composition.

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hey! Don't forget this thread tongue

0 sounds
    2 posts

www.thoughtaudio.com, Google Project Gutenburg, If you have access to the itunes store there are free pod casts of speeches there.

0 sounds
    2 posts

www.thoughtaudio.com

44 sounds
    99 posts

Sounds like a great idea!!! I hope it can be implemented.

The only problem will be the fact that I am not able listen to the previews on the site most of the time. I hit the play arrow and nothing happens usually or nothing happens for quite some time. I usually give up on the preview rather quickly and go straight to listening to the .wav full format sound to take a listen to the sound. Anyone have this same problem? It's not always that I have this problem, but often enough where I usually go straight to listening to the wav file. Any ideas Bram?

121 sounds
    1552 posts

actually, the best would be to normalize all the previews on the site, and not the originals smile

I'll see what I can do for the future!

- bram

10 sounds
    21 posts

Hello Everybody,
    I'm looking for recordings of millitary style drums, snare drums specifically. Wondered if any drummers out there might happen to have a recorded somthing suitable in the past. I'm not after anything specific, it's for a war-themed sound scape for coursework.
    Regards,
    Dan.

44 sounds
    99 posts

AndyH-ha - "for a single normalization the error is more theoretical than actual in that it will never approach audibility"

I agree with this statement. Yes, there will be rounding errors when normalizing but the errors are so minute that they will never be audible even to the most trained ears. Normalizing or adding / subtracting gain 10 times repeatedly will cause less audible flaws in the signal than in a single pass with other types of level maximizing or processing. Anything like compression, limiting, maximizing, all do more than a simple multiplication to every sample. They squash the signal by reducing the values of samples over the threshold, and add gain to boost the overall level of the signal. Yes this makes the signal "louder" but also introduces other AUDIBLE audio artifacts.

In my experience the simplest signal path is always the safest. A simple normalization in my mind will always be the best route. Yes, to the purist leaving the signal untouched is the best route, but not always the best in terms for previewing on this site. I think that the minute and INAUDIBLE rounding errors that may be present after a normlization are well worth being able to hear the sample here on the site. Heck if I want to listen to some of the samples here at a reasonable level I have to download them and then normalize them myself just to take a good listen.

6 sounds
    24 posts

@hk: I know how to get sound out of an image, but as far as the textures go I'd wager you'd have to get a pretty highrez monochrome image of the object then run it through a program like Coagula. Though I'm sure you'd get an entirely different sound if you were to use the method the guys at firstsound used.

as far as the shows go: Back then I wasn't even a glimmer in my daddys' eye. (Mind you I'm still 27 days from being old enough to legally destroy my liver/inhibitions. ) But I would have loved to be able to see/hear your performance as it sounds like one hell of an experience. And as far as ' improvised idiocy' The things I've seen outside the Houston zoo (people posing as robot poets, break dancers, and the like) surely would change your mind. And on topic of funding, I'm currently seeking employment but you could always try for a grant tell them its a study on "Human/sound interaction" or something.

233 sounds
    41 posts

Hello, Paula.

What kind of poem? Tell us as much as you can describe your image. Someone I know may read any.

0 sounds
    1 post

wow. surprising wind is that far up there.

434 sounds
    230 posts

You gotta describe it better what sound you want. How long. Style etc etc.

412 sounds
    40 posts

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t42608.html

434 sounds
    230 posts

Got it, samples rendered, samples are uploaded, and will be available in my samples as Hightech announcements. Have fun!

0 sounds
    3 posts

Hi, I have a beam sensor at my gate at the end of a long driveway which sends a trigger to my computer when someone enters or exits. I am using software called WinCounter which lets me play a sound when someone enters and another sound when someone exits.

I've been trying to find a pair of chimes that give the impression of "Enter" and "Exit" e.g. one goes up the other goes down!

I'd like them to have a melodic sound that is easy to listen to. I can find a lot of sampled doorbells and chimes but because they are samples they have a classic sound. I'd like something futuristic/hi tech sounding.

Sorry this is such a wordy request, but I hope someone understands what I'm looking for. I thought the net would be full of such things but I've spent hours searching and not come up with much.

Help!
    Thanks for reading smile

121 sounds
    1552 posts

I've had a quick chat with Ross Bencina ( http://www.audiomulch.com ) and the conclusion is: this is a pretty hard question! We THINK that there MIGHT be some loss when normalizing, but we need someone who knows even more about audio dsp to help. smile This loss (if any) does not depend on if you are using 16 or 24 bit, only the relative error will be smaller at 24 bit. (losing one bit at 16 bit is worse than losing one bit at 24 bit).

ejfortin: many audio effects these days use 64 bit "double" internally (and FPU's mostly use even more bits internally for floating point operations), most hosts use 32 bit floats for all audio. There is a BIG difference between maximizers/limiters/... and normalization though. In general I think it's a REALLY bad idea to use any type of post-recording digital dynamics processing on "purist" field recordings. And, in general it's a really, really bad idea to make any kind of assumption about the internal signal-path bit-depth of signal processing applications.

yes, both wavelab and audacity can perform edits with 32 bit floating point accuracy. 32 bit floating point has nothing to do with the operating system, it is the software that makes the 32 bit floating point edits possible.

... it actually has very little to do with software and a lot with hardware.

It's been a few years, but I'll subscribe to the music-dsp mailinglist and ask the normalization question there.

- bram

0 sounds
    5 posts

I want to lay clipits of poems, speeches, etc. over a track I just made. Does anyone know a good place to get these? I've spent the last two hours doing web searches and looking on sites but I haven't found enough content!

44 sounds
    99 posts

I disagree. The internal bit rate of a plugin or level maximizer is never going to exceed 32 bit float. Using a level maximizer you risk unwanted compression that may occur if the threshold is set too low. The level maximizer uses multiplication to boost the signal, just like normalizing, but it also has the capability of compression if the signal hits the threshold. If we are looking for a good general rule of thumb to go by I would suggest that people stay away from level maximizers. Yes they make the signal loud, but this is accomplished at a cost. Some maximizers have a hidden expander or noise gate that make it seem like it is getting louder without introducing extra audible noise to the signal. This is what stomachache might be thinking of. Again, once this is done it is not possible for the end user to undo this function.

Anyone else want to put their two cents in on this? I welcome any other opinions to help create guidelines for people with questions on processed or unprocessed sounds for uploading.

251 sounds
    94 posts

thanks for the feedback - I'll keep it going! Going to a neuroscience lab next week to hear about their research into hearing.

My video site is a bit lame at the moment. TBH I'm still learning a lot about how it is encoded, not to mention the technique/art side of it! Apologies for lameness in video website, it will improve this year.

Please post your feedback on the blog comments!

0 sounds
    215 posts

Mr., you need to learn a little about the fundamentals of music or pitch:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_%28music%29

Find one of these waveform picture with an good pixel resolution and I will give you the demonstration