Forums

106 sounds
    54 posts

I quite like that one, but aren't there copyright issues with the station's themselves?

You could also make something from this - http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=11724

17 sounds
    224 posts

I could help with sounds from videogames but I don't think I could post them on Freesound. I cold put them on my esnips account and send you the link, tho or send it tdirectly to your email... what lenght are you looking for?

106 sounds
    54 posts

Just right click the icon and use the "save target as" option.

36 sounds
    215 posts

Problem #1:
    Do the DFT or the FFT Spectral take some part of CPU/MPU power.

Problem #2:
    How process the 32000 Sounds already here without steeling
    all the CPU power...

Problem #3:
    This is not everyone that use Spectral Graphic or that know that exist...

But when I propose this, FreeSound Has only one server
    that run with an CPU power average of 75%.

But now FreeSound have two server with
    individual CPU power average of 30%...

For now Bram seem to have not the time to implement this
    and have another problems to solve like make running the new server http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sauer/angry-smiley-053.gif

17 sounds
    55 posts

dobroide
    Some form of distributed computing (Seti-like) could do the trick. Anyway, I doubt the coolness of having spectral views justifies the effort to implement this...

I know that the University of London has a computing grid, I don't know if anything similar is available through UPF...

Am I right in thinking that the overhead (for Bram) of developing a C application using FFTW to do this would be relatively low given the current spectral-centroid image generating codebase, which is presumably doing most of the same calculations already? It seems to me that while there might be benefits, implementing something client side in java / flash might be substantially more work and possibly annoying for users not to be able to use straight ftp... having said that, I do believe there is a place for more rich stuff on the client side, generally.

I can see that using the same server that is hosting the site in order to do all the processing of the existing database would be a problem, but I don't see the problem if a grid is dedicated to it for a while and the server is used to process new samples... not that I have much real experience of such things.

0 sounds
    1 post

Hi,
    I didnt really find something that I would need for theater use. A roman cohort marching in heavy metal armours.
    Or just the sound of heavy metallic armour.
    Did thorough search, yet found nothing of the like.

Thank you
    erdelyi.gergely@gmail.com

0 sounds
    5 posts

thx m8,

i can use some from this grin

121 sounds
    1544 posts

Also, does anyone else have experience problems?

- bram

0 sounds
    4 posts

Hi, and thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it. The intro is simply down to the incredible chant samples submitted by djgriffin. When I came across them I just knew I had to try and compose a piece around them.
    Tibetan Dream was inspired and sparked by the samples, as opposed to my having an initial conceptual idea, and then looking for appropriate samples to use. I do have an interest in Buddhism too, and I wanted to compose something that contained something of it's essence.

I gave some elements of the vocals more depth by layering them. I used Reason and Magix software in the composition, playing the music element via midi keyboard.
    Thanks for the input smile

Sienna, aka Soloneili

178 sounds
    740 posts

Very cool film! I can't really comment from a sound-design perspective as it's a bit noisy here and I'm tired, but it definitely works from an audience persepctive!
    Reminds me of that short from the Animatrix where the kid has to jump out the window, except this was cooler (I thought) because of the flying! grin
    Also, the scenery is really cool... looks to me like old puerto vallarta or one of those old hillside barrios.

Nice job.

178 sounds
    740 posts

Have you tried a dedicated FTP client? WS_FTP, SmartFTP, FireFTP, etc.

178 sounds
    740 posts

Yes, that's fine, especially if the samples appear only on the DVD menu itself. This means that if the video gets ripped, you won't wind up with unattributed samples, which would be my main concern with doing this if you used the samples in the film. smile

178 sounds
    740 posts

Cool. (Moved to "work made with freesound" section.)

178 sounds
    740 posts

Loki: I think if you examine our Sampling Plus license, you may find it suitable for this purpose. It was developed for commercial artists who wish to allow creative re-use and remixing of their work, and also redistribution with attribution.

178 sounds
    740 posts

Interesting. I think Bram has a knack for hiding useful features. wink

Nice suggestion anyway- moved to feature request forum.

178 sounds
    740 posts

I think the idea is to drop the highest and lowest ratings and then average the rest, although I don't think this has been implemented yet.

475 sounds
    59 posts

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to the forums. The reading should be at the top of my page:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/usersViewSingle.php?id=57789

795 sounds
    273 posts

sigh...

LS starting arguements as usual ^^'

Here's my responses:

1. If "some jackass" does give a sound a rating that you believe is unfair, whoever uploaded the sound probably won't say "oh no my sample sucks!" especially because any sample that is good/bad enough to even receive a rating at all will almost definitely have +100 downloads. So instead of the uploader thinking "oh no my samples sucks" they will see that it has 142 downloads and they will think "hey my sample here is pretty darn popular".

2. Show me a few examples of these unfair ratings, because I haven't seenn more than one or two samples here on FS that weren't rated fairly (if any at all, because unfortunately not many choose to rate the samples they download).

3. You really need to stop swearing so much ^^' mods tend to... um... not like that very much...

4. Hey, look outside my townhome window, everything is sepia toned, and the thunder is rumbling and I hear a train's whistle reverberating all the way from uptown, cars drive across the wet pavement, and inside the drivers don't feel the damp, tension-filled air ready to bring a storm. At any moment an onslaught of large raindrops may burst from the clouds. The wind whirls around the curves of my house and whistles over the window-wells. Trees peek over the other homes as if hiding from the thunder and the lightning. Low rumbling that shakes the whole house. The wind must be so gentle caressing the trees and the grass on the boulevards. An unmoving wind that blows in no direction...

anyways, what were we argueing about? I know we were becasue you are LS.

258 sounds
    355 posts

people should only be allowed to rate sounds if they uploaded a sound. what do you think? i've noticed that there are some sounds out there that are great and have a freaking 7 or 8 star rating..and all because some jack ass hits a low rating.

i think that's wrong because there are some sounds out there that don't deserve to be ranked lower than a 9 but like i said some jack ass thinks he know's better so lowers it by hitting a freaking 1 or 3 or whatever. then if you go and look at half the people that rated it in the last so many days...none of them will have a sound up.

i'm not sorry...but that's just down right wrong. if youre gonna hand out low ratings-then be man or women enough to put some of your shit up.

258 sounds
    355 posts

just a hi hat a snare and a kick. pretty easy..and you couldn't do this yourself?