Forums

4 posts

0 sounds
    2 posts
    Questions about creative commons

First I'd like to thanks you all for this wonderful resource.
    At the moment I'm trying to make a animation. I would like to include both creative commons music and sound effects into it. My question is about the different licenses. (Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)
    Question 1: If I add a creative commons share alike sound effect or piece of music, will I have to make the animation the same license or only any changes I make to the sound.
    Question 2: If I have to make the animation the same license and I use two different share alike licenses: e.g Share alike attribution and share alike, attribution, non-commercial. Which license do I put the animation under?
    Question 3: I am planning to distribute the animation over the Internet for free. But if I used a cc non-commercial piece of sound/music in it would that prohibit me from selling it on a dvd at the same time as providing it on the Internet for free?

Thanks in advance for your help

3 sounds
    14 posts

philipmac
    First I'd like to thanks you all for this wonderful resource.
    At the moment I'm trying to make a animation. I would like to include both creative commons music and sound effects into it. My question is about the different licenses. (Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)
    Question 1: If I add a creative commons share alike sound effect or piece of music, will I have to make the animation the same license or only any changes I make to the sound.

The whole animation.
    Question 2: If I have to make the animation the same license and I use two different share alike licenses: e.g Share alike attribution and share alike, attribution, non-commercial. Which license do I put the animation under?

Since Attribution-NonCommercial isn't a copyleft license I think it would be OK to publish your animation under Attribution-ShareAlike. I'm not sure though.
    Question 3: I am planning to distribute the animation over the Internet for free. But if I used a cc non-commercial piece of sound/music in it would that prohibit me from selling it on a dvd at the same time as providing it on the Internet for free?

Again, I'm not sure. I don't think Attribution-ShareAlike puts any limits on what you can do with derivative works, but don't take my word for it.

0 sounds
    2 posts

Thank you for your answer. However regarding question 3 I was talking about a attribution, non-commercial share alike license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/. Is that what you were talking about as you only mentioned Attribution-ShareAlike.

178 sounds
    738 posts

This is where it gets ugly and why I don't like ShareAlike licenses. You should probably ask Creative Commons directly about this. If you get a response from them please let us know what they say, as this seems to me to be a major grey area.

I don't think you can create derivative work from two differently licensed ShareAlike works (BY-SA and BY-NC-SA.)

However, keep in mind the distinction between derivative works and collective works. For instance, if you are making a website about Rome and use a photo of the Colosseum licensed under CC-BY-SA, you don't have to license the whole page under CC-BY-SA. You only have to attribute the photo, since the website is a collective work and not a derivative work.

However, all use cases are not as clear. Most CC licenses I've read define synchrionizing CC audio with moving images as creating a derivative work. As for stuff like using samples in a flash animation, the "significant portion" stuff comes into question.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.

4 posts