Forums

    9 posts

  • avatar
    0 sounds
    3 posts
    Creative Commons 0 and games


    Hi.

    First of all big thanks for awesome project! There should be more places like this in the net.

    I have a questions concerning Creative Commons 0 license. I'm working on a game for iOS and want to use some sounds from FreeSound.org. I'm only looking for sounds with Creative Commons 0 license but still have some doubts if I should use them, or buy some.

    1. What happens if a user changes the type of license after I publish and start selling my game? Can he/she claim attribution/royalties?

    2. Do I have to attribute every single author of sound under Creative Commons 0 license (If I understand it corretly, I don't have to, but I want to be sure)

    3. What about advertisement? May I use same sounds in game ads(for example trailers)?

    4. Can i be sure, that all sounds on FreeSound are safe to use? Tn other words, that I will not brake any law when I use them in a game that I'm planning to sell?

    Thanks for all your help.
    Szymon

  • avatar
    1942 sounds
    1786 posts


    SzymonAdamus wrote:
    I have a questions concerning Creative Commons 0 license ...

    1. What happens if a user changes the type of license after I publish and start selling my game? Can he/she claim attribution/royalties?

    If you read the small print you'll see that CC0 is irreversible ...


    2. Waiver. To the greatest extent permitted by, but not in contravention of, applicable law, Affirmer hereby overtly, fully, permanently, irrevocably and unconditionally waives, abandons, and surrenders all of Affirmer's Copyright and Related Rights and associated claims and causes of action, whether now known or unknown (including existing as well as future claims and causes of action), in the Work (i) in all territories worldwide, (ii) for the maximum duration provided by applicable law or treaty (including future time extensions), (iii) in any current or future medium and for any number of copies, and (iv) for any purpose whatsoever, including without limitation commercial, advertising or promotional purposes (the "Waiver"). Affirmer makes the Waiver for the benefit of each member of the public at large and to the detriment of Affirmer's heirs and successors, fully intending that such Waiver shall not be subject to revocation, rescission, cancellation, termination, or any other legal or equitable action to disrupt the quiet enjoyment of the Work by the public as contemplated by Affirmer's express Statement of Purpose.

    http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode

  • avatar
    0 sounds
    3 posts


    Thank you for your reply.

  • avatar
    1121 sounds
    402 posts


    SzymonAdamus wrote:
    2. Do I have to attribute every single author of sound under Creative Commons 0 license (If I understand it corretly, I don't have to, but I want to be sure)

    3. What about advertisement? May I use same sounds in game ads(for example trailers)?

    The legal text of the CCZero is very short. You should read it rather than relying on us non-lawyers telling it's OK or not OK smile If need a guarantee, the only safe way I can think of is asking a lawyer.

    SzymonAdamus wrote:4. Can i be sure, that all sounds on FreeSound are safe to use? Tn other words, that I will not brake any law when I use them in a game that I'm planning to sell?

    There is no guarantee.

    I tend to trust the users and what they write in the descriptions of their sounds on Freesound though.

    Click here to lend your support to: Freesound 2011 donations and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !
    Donate to Freesound.org
    so it can serve even more and better sounds to you in the future!
  • avatar
    0 sounds
    3 posts


    I did read CC0 text, but I wanted to hear some inside opinions from people who have used this kind of sounds in their productions.

    Thanks for all the tips.

  • avatar
    10 sounds
    14 posts


    So you need sounds for games? Look no further. http://tiny.cc/3ge0fw (it's a freesound sample pack by HardPCM)

    звук будет освобождена | âm thanh sẽ được giải thoát | ήχος θα απελευθερωθούν | suara akan dibebaskan | 聲音將被釋放 | son sera libéré | гук будзе вызвалена | sound will be freed
  • avatar
    167 sounds
    1584 posts


    colorend wrote:
    So you need sounds for games? Look no further. http://tiny.cc/3ge0fw (it's a freesound sample pack by HardPCM)

    I don't think you understood what SzymonAdamus was asking in his OP...


    I am the thing that goes bump in the night...


  • avatar
    10 sounds
    14 posts


    Head-Phaze wrote:
    colorend wrote:
    So you need sounds for games? Look no further. http://tiny.cc/3ge0fw (it's a freesound sample pack by HardPCM)

    I don't think you understood what SzymonAdamus was asking in his OP...


    Oop. Wrong post. Got messed up with rushing there smile

    звук будет освобождена | âm thanh sẽ được giải thoát | ήχος θα απελευθερωθούν | suara akan dibebaskan | 聲音將被釋放 | son sera libéré | гук будзе вызвалена | sound will be freed
  • avatar
    167 sounds
    1584 posts


    colorend wrote:
    Head-Phaze wrote:
    colorend wrote:
    So you need sounds for games? Look no further. http://tiny.cc/3ge0fw (it's a freesound sample pack by HardPCM)

    I don't think you understood what SzymonAdamus was asking in his OP...


    Oop. Wrong post. Got messed up with rushing there smile

    Oh right, that explains it then xD


    I am the thing that goes bump in the night...


    9 posts