Forums

7 posts

47 sounds
    648 posts
    Wish people told me when they use my sound

I know it's a rant, and one that may not be warranted due to a host of reasons, but I really do wish that people would at least drop me a note when they use my sounds.
    I googled my username (afleetingspeck), and one of the last hits led me here:

http://openlicensedmusic.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html

Perhaps my loop was played on a podcast or something, and I am really happy that it was. But it would've been nice to know beforehand.

Probably seems childish, but I do enjoy when people use my work as a whole or derive something out of it!

185 sounds
    370 posts

I'm absolutely with you on that smile
    I'm proud that some people deemed my sounds worth being used in their productions, and most even credit the sounds properly (thank you all if you're reading this!), but I found about those uses by myself like you, and I'd find it nice if they informed me, not even necessarily beforehand.

IMHO, enjoying that warm fuzzy feeling from the appreciation of what we've done is not childish smile

45 sounds
    46 posts

well, it's hard to legislate courtesy. From time to time, I google myself (as sanus excipio), just to see how my sounds are being used out there. I find it rather amazing to see how people have integrated my sounds into a wide variety of music, games, classroom assignments, ring tones, etc. I have been pleased to see that, in most all cases, users did credit my contributions properly - although, for some, I had to dig a bit.

steve-o.com

sanus_excipio aka Steve Bayer Cincinnati, Ohio
    229 sounds
    417 posts

and the ones you find via google are the ones where credit is given. who's to say how many uncredited uses are out there?

1118 sounds
    395 posts

Freesound descriptions allow some HTML, so you can write a "Please let me know when you use this sound: email@example.com" and format it to be large (and possibly colorful) in the description of every sound (I recommend you put it after the actual description, as the first few words show up in search results).

PS: I use this ability to try to explain why I use FLAC/OGG Vorbis (and hopefully help people who have trouble with that format). Example: http://freesound.org/people/qubodup/sounds/171255/

Click here to lend your support to: Freesound 2011 donations and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !
    Donate to Freesound.org
    so it can serve even more and better sounds to you in the future!
    0 sounds
    1 post

Hi!

I'm Ralph, the guy that runs that podcast, and I apologize for the offense. I do generally try and notify people when I can, but I've fallen a bit behind in the last couple weeks and haven't gotten a chance to, so I've got a whole bunch of people queued up now to send messages to. Still going to send them, but I don't want to just go through and spam everybody with form letter "hey, I used this" messages without having the time to personalize them. I'm glad you did find it, though, and I hope you're good with the way it was used.

- Ralph

47 sounds
    648 posts

openlicensedmusic wrote:
    Hi!

I'm Ralph, the guy that runs that podcast, and I apologize for the offense. I do generally try and notify people when I can, but I've fallen a bit behind in the last couple weeks and haven't gotten a chance to, so I've got a whole bunch of people queued up now to send messages to. Still going to send them, but I don't want to just go through and spam everybody with form letter "hey, I used this" messages without having the time to personalize them. I'm glad you did find it, though, and I hope you're good with the way it was used.

- Ralph

That was very gentlemanly. I was not necessarily offended, but a little upset that I would've missed out on knowing my sound was used somewhere - as I mentioned previously, I kept it available to be downloaded and used, and I really don't care too much about crediting; it's just that I'd simply love to know where and how my sounds are used. It feels good when you find that something you did was of help to someone.

I really do appreciate you coming here and posting, though! (And yes, I do not have any problems with how the sound was used). smile

EDIT: Also, just so you know, my rant used you as an example, but it was talking more about others who fail to ever come and mention. Some of my sounds have 100 downloads or so (meagre by multiple standards), and I'd like to think that at least 2-3 of them got used in some way. Of course, I have to go with the mindset that almost no one is going to drop a note, but that fact is taking a long time to sink in - more slowly than I'd like.

7 posts