Forums

3 posts

0 sounds
    1 post
    NAIVE explosions

Guys, I'm trying to capture the sounds of seriously big explosions (mortars, controlled detonations, rocket fire ect (dont ask)) onboard on a sony 1080 DVCAM/HDV camera. I have a sennheiser rifle mic and the onboard mikes. Even with the level turned right down the force of the blasts records only as a sqeak. have tried using various jammers etc.
    Any ideas?
    AM thinking of trying to recod a reflection of a wall. The thin is the force of thes things make syour ears pop anyhow and Im concerned Im going to damage my gear.

178 sounds
    738 posts

See if you can get some advice from Sonic, he has experience recording loud stuff like gunshots and planes and may be able to help.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    186 sounds
    319 posts

I bet its the preamps on the camera that are overloading. Try using an inline pad, and if you can, a decent recorder.
    The reason the preamps are still overloading is that the trim on those usually comes *after* the preamp gain. It just dampens the signal that goes to tape since the signal is allready overloading the preamp itself, turning it down just gives you a lower level crack.

3 posts