Forums

6 posts

15 sounds
    9 posts
    Olympus LS-10

I recently purchased an Olympus LS-10 and I was wondering what external microphones since it does not have phantom power. My main purpose is recording foley, and field recording, but the internal mics on the device pick up a bit of handling noise if I'm not super careful. Should I return this recorder, or is there hope? Haha. Any help is appreciated.

3050 sounds
    476 posts

Hi

LS10 internal mics are good but, as you have noticed, the recorder can't be held in your hands while recording because even the smallest movement of your fingers will ruin everyting. Instead, get any small cheap camera tripod which, attached to the recorder, will act as a handle
    Alternatively, plug external mics. The mic-in socket provides enough juice (3.5V) to operate most lapel capsules

D

15 sounds
    9 posts

Thanks for all your help guys. Do you think a Rode NTG-2 would be a good choice if I'm on a $200-300 budget?

44 sounds
    4 posts

I thought i'd add my 2 cents in here.

The Rode NTG-2 is an awesome microphone, i own one and can't think of a better microphone for that price!
    Or im pretty sure Rode's sale might still be on, where you buy an NTG-3 and get a Rode Blimp system for 1 dollar, worth checking out.

15 sounds
    9 posts

Haha I wish I could afford the Rode NTG-3 cause that's an awesome deal!

371 sounds
    254 posts

bear in mind the NT4 is not so weatherproof as the NTG-3 and the NTG-2 is perhaps more useful for mounting on video cameras.

.....it also weighs almost half a kilo. Just got one and the first impressions are gooooood. grin

6 posts