Forums

7 posts

0 sounds
    5 posts
    looking for lofi hardware sampler Impulse Response (IR°

Hello

I'm looking for some Impulse Response that would capture the sonic imprint of old school hardware samplers (12bit, 8bit, 22500,33000,44100khz), like E-mu SP1200, Akai S-20, etc.

WOuld anybody know where to find that ?

0 sounds
    5 posts

bump
    no one knows ? bouhouhou

121 sounds
    1545 posts

the samplers are lofi, because their internals have slight distortions, strange nonlinear filtering etc...

none of these things can be captured by using impulse responses, as impulse responses can only capure the properties of linear, time-invariant systems.

the best result you could get out of doing an impulse response is seeing the transfer curve of the output filter, but this won't do you much good I'm afraid...

- bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.
    0 sounds
    5 posts

hi
    Ok, thank you for your answer, Bram wink
    i shouldn't have sold mine !

67 sounds
    12 posts

there are lots of plugins (VST, etc) that let you control bit depth and sample rate, for that "vintage sampler" sound (or more extreme manipulation). often "lo-fi" refers to this type of effect.

0 sounds
    5 posts

Yes, i know about vst bitcrushers. But i really was looking for impulses.
    bitcrushers vst are "generic" bitreduction, it doesn't have the sonic imprint of each different sampler, as i don't thinkn the akai s-20 i owned sounds the same than an ensonic mirage, even using same bitdepth and sampling rate... And old school samplers used analogue filters wink

8 sounds
    67 posts

Maybe you could record a fully wet tail (ooer - or route the pre of your channel) then pass it through a synth/sampler of some kind, in Reaktor or some other modular system. I think there are free ones out there, modular systems that is.

7 posts