Forums

6 posts

61 sounds
    9 posts
    TheBrokenMusicBox a piece inspired by my first day here!

Here is something that I wrote last night and finished tonight, inspired by discovering this wonderful site of Bram's and using samples from a toy music box I found here last night.

It's called the "The Broken Music Box" and you can download it here in a couple of minutes from now: www.looppool.info/TheBrokenMusicBox/ I dedicate it to our talented and resourceful leader, Bram (whose last name I can't seem to find anywhere.......lol)

If you are curious, I used some unusual methods of improv to write it.
    Here's a description of my process.

I used the preview looping capabilties of this site to do an improv with all of the toy music box samples...............looping and turning on and off the various samples, running simultaneously............i recorded this improv in real time into Sound Forge.

then I took that improv and played it back in real time as I used the mouse to
    grab the moving cursor and manipulate it in ways that screwed up the computer
    (I even crashed it with the blue screen of death once...........I'm never even seen a blue
    screen as long as I've run Win XP.............lol).
    I love this technique for confusing the computer while playing back in Sound Forge.

all of this I recorded into Cool Edit Pro (because Sound Forge won't allow multiple instances
    to run simultaneously.

I took the results and then basically just slashed sections out of it until I like the final result..................then I threw it into Fruity Loops and played with speed of play back
    and triggering heavily verbed instances of the tracks: sometimes synchonously, sometimes not. Then I tried to think of what Ravel would do to the piece if he were alive today and I wrote the String parts in Fruity Loops.

Everything I did with a mouse and the computer.

It's sort of neo classical/glitch music and is pretty outside of the mainstream but I'm really happy with it.

Enjoy, it's free, like this site!

Rick Walker

150 sounds
    68 posts

I like this track a lot grin
    Its great to see folks get inspired and creative by this site. The method you used Rick, has been spoke about a bit, using the preview as a live instrument / looping instrument.... I'd love to see it be developed more for the composers who use freesound (I wonder what the ratio of composers to recorders is?)I think there's some other work around using a similar method.

harri

61 sounds
    9 posts

I guess that is the wonderful thing about Beginner's Mind, Harri.

I thought I was inventing the wheel with that improv process and it's old hat here.

Sure glad I didn't know that it had been done..................<chuckle>

It means a lot that you enjoyed it. I sure enjoyed making it.

In fact, I just got the new HIPNO plugins from Cycling 74 (I'm a representing artist with that company) and I"m working on a companion piece to that one using
    PLUGGO and HIPNO.

I just love bell like sounds for this kind of work.

150 sounds
    68 posts

looppool

I thought I was inventing the wheel with that improv process and it's old hat here.

Sure glad I didn't know that it had been done..................<chuckle>

wootops: ack! didn't mean to highlight this, more to highlight the fact that users *are* using freesound as an instrument. Maybe the more it's used and discussed, Bram might think about moving it up the agenda of new features! wink

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402&highlight=freesound+instrument

btw, been over to your website and i'm impressed with the output smile I bow down to you sir....

harri

3050 sounds
    476 posts

not broken, the box is just 'special' smile
    Sounds great, I always enjoy mixes of music and 'random' sounds.

61 sounds
    9 posts

thanks, folks, it's nice to be at such a creative place.

6 posts