Forums

7 posts

0 sounds
    1 post
    A metal cigarette lighter.

I have a radio production project coming up soon and I have been trying to find a sample of one of the metal lighters that have the lid that flicks up and then you can like it and shut the lid down.

If anyone has a sample with the lid flicking up and then the lighter going off and then the lid shutting again that would be awesome, but really anything of that kind will work.

4677 sounds
    376 posts

Posting it tonight!

178 sounds
    740 posts

Ah I have one of those... if noise collector's doesn't work for you I can try recording it.

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    178 sounds
    740 posts

Okay, I decided to give this a go with my ghetto recording system...
    A cheap external camcorder mic is all I have handy at the moment, my GL-2 has a better internal mic but I didn't want to muck around with it just now. (It occured to me that I might be able to bypass recording it onto tape if I hook the GL-2's line out into my computer, but I haven't tried this yet.)

So I mounted the cheap mic to the hot shoe on my crappy old SLR... and viola, a stand! grin

It's pretty quiet but I was hoping it would have better sound quality than the ultra-crappy headset mic I used to use. After comparing some recordings, I realize this may not be the case.

I just listened to NoiseCollector's samples and they are superior, but I'll still post mine for the heck of it. I think I'll try again later with a better recording setup- it's good practice so I can figure out how to eke the best fidelity out of my crappy equipment. smile

I'll post the link here once the file becomes available: lighter1.flac

EDIT: Linked file

Freesound Admin Official Acclivity Fan Club - Member Stuck with FLAC? Check the FAQ.
    178 sounds
    740 posts

Oooh yeah... here's a re-recording with my fine GL-2. :cool:
    lighter2.flac

The lighter makes a very distinctive sound. Definitely much easier to make it out with the GL-2's microphone, and not just because of the levels. Remind me not to use that other crappy mic ever again. smile

(I heard somebody say that the GL-2's mic was no good... I guess they never saw my other mics.)

0 sounds
    0 posts

try this... is a zippo lighter

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=18612

178 sounds
    740 posts

Nice and clean!

I haven't really got the hang of noise editing yet. Audacty's noise editor plugin kind of sucks.

I should have access to protools next year though, so hopefully it will become easier to do. Supposedly, my school will even have a foley stage. grin

Cool stuff.

7 posts