Forums

9 posts

55 sounds
    127 posts
    New wooden ship sound effect

Nice. Can anyone advise how one might create that creaking wood sound (ie without actually going to the harbour and finding a wooden boat). I'm trying to create a sound of a wooden fishing vessel alongside a wharf/jetty. The wood/creaking sound in the sample is good - I just don't want the other ambiences.

Cheers

David

10 sounds
    95 posts

try wood happy. no, seriously, it`s just wood creaking, so you should try to experiment with wood.if you got an old wooden floor, walk around and see where it creaks. perhaps you have to pitch it down a bit or layer several creaks for a bigger sound.

55 sounds
    127 posts

Thanks CGEffex - I'll look forward to hearing it. I would still like to have a go myself. I guess wooden floors or a creaky wooden chair. Trouble with the chair is that unless it is really old and/or naturally creaky, one has to stress it to make it creak - not sure the wife would approve....

Cheers

David

10 sounds
    95 posts

if you got nothing that creaks, try to carpet two pieces of wood together. loosen the nail or screw a bit, in most cases it`ll start to creak.

1942 sounds
    1786 posts

Want creaking ?: get wicker ... http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=87280 (sounds much better when downloaded).

10 sounds
    95 posts

like it
    but I got one question: why flac?is it because the file will be smaller than .wav or .aif?

55 sounds
    127 posts

I'm sure you meant 848kb not mb smile

What reads/opens flac files? I'm on OSX 10.6.

Cheers

David

70 sounds
    134 posts

higginsdj
    What reads/opens flac files? I'm on OSX 10.6.

Hello David, I use OSX 10.6 too. VLC will play FLAC files. If you want to compress them or convert to another lossless format, I recommend xACT:

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/xACT.shtml

xACT is also useful for good integrity CD rips. I wouldn't be without it, it's a tremendously useful app, and freeware too. smile

Enjoy. smile

55 sounds
    127 posts

Thanks guys - you are a wealth of knowledge smile

9 posts