The Tyne Pedestrian and Cycle Tunnel brings together North and South Tyneside with a pedestrian and cycle tunnel which runs under the river. It connects the communities of Jarrow and Howdon and is 900ft long. Work on the tunnel was about to start in 1939 but the Second World War put a stop to it and work finally began in 1947. Charles Brand & Son Ltd completed tunnelling in 1949 but it was not opened until 24 July 1951. Whilst digging the tunnel they had to deal with the old Jarrow and Howdon colliey mine workings which crossed their path.
The longest single escalator in Europe was installed to take pedestrians from beneath the Tyne 85ft up to the surface. The wooden steps squeal from dawn 'til dusk and all through he night.
Recorded 5th January 2007. Using Acer Laptop, Edirol UA-25 and AKG C 1000 S.
Please log in to comment